“Fantastic”

Ranked #7 of 471 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Focusing on fresh, house made food along with specialty craft cocktails and beer. Casual atmosphere with friendly staff. Family friendly.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is just great. The food is not your standard bar food. I love all of the burgers and the nachos are great to share with a group. There are lots of beers to choose from, too. They do a good job of mixing in local brews to their large tap selection.

They have taken advantage of their prime location by adding in tons of outdoor seating (with heaters for when the marine layer rolls in), as well as roll up doors that make the bar area an indoor/outdoor space. I also really like that they often have live music on Saturday afternoons.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Sunday at the Social Tap-on the beach, a fresh experience. Brrr, enjoyed it even more, once seated inside. Outside too breezy in Spring, even with heaters; patio will be very pleasant this Summer and Fall. Bloody Mary needed a vegetable garnish, but after a couple...I didn't miss it. yes, there was ample vodka in the drink. I liked the rimmed glass with spicy pepper flakes. My companions had mimosas, adeptly served-attentive bar service on the patio, with prompt provision of menu and utensils. This attentiveness is lacking in other Ventura bar/restaurants.Yippee, rum girls with free shots (mini shots, try it out...) Inside, the hostesses were equally attentive. No matter where, there were televisions, all on a different channel. We watched the Lifestyle Lift commercial for a half hour and during the fabulous entertainment by those virtuoso violinists the Shoemaker Bros. peppy funky bluegrass tinged rock, it looked like the Lifestyle lift lady was singing- a bit distracting but hilarious. Perhaps they could tune in actual programming. If I didn't have the Bloodies Mary-I might have made the suggestion! Food: I recommend fish and chips-a flavorful panko crust, tasted like cod but possibly it was swai. Moist, flaky. Three large pieces. We had nachos-good guacamole, small portion. and we had the chips and salsa. To start I had a bowl of vegetable soup with amazing thin spicy, pickled tasting vegetables. You can see the menu was developed by Chef Nieto, now not with Social Tap. His influence is definitely present. Spend a Sunday here-for three of us, drinks included (5 Bloody Mary, two Mimosas, plenty of water without even nudging for refills)- all that food, $70.00.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Friendly staff, lively atmosphere. The fillet mignon tacos were the best and the buffalo burger a must try much better than the usual bar food. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was back visiting Ventura when this place first opened up. First off it is a very welcomed addition to the "ailing" area of south Seaward. Hopefully it will encourage a bit of revival for the rest of the area. The atmosphere is great, the beer list is excellent and includes a bunch of wonderful micro brews from all over California, and the food is not your average bar fare food. It is in fact very good, with some unique options like the quinoa salad. The prices are a little steep, (something like $6.00 for a pint) but I'm sure a happy hour as well as a few price adjustements will be along soon enough. Service was very good every time I went in, and the waiters/waitresses were always willing to offer suggestions. I'm excited to go back in a few months and see how things have panned out.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We recently had dinner there for a birthday party- total of 14 people. Food was just ok, nothing great and people seemed to enjoy the beers but if I were ever to go back to Social Tap I would be bringing my own bottle of alcohol as the mixed drinks had none!!! Ordered cranberry and coconut rums- $7.50 each for a short glass- where the hell is the alcohol?? There's no way there was a shot in that glass between all the ice and the juice!! What a rip off!!!! Bring your own bottle, hide it and pour your own!!

Been to Social Tap? Share your experiences!