“My two favorite words: Grilled Artichoke”
Review of Lure Fish House

Lure Fish House
Ranked #1 of 444 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Hours: Happy Hour Sunday 11:30 am - 6:00 pm and Monday - Friday 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm. We have a Private Dining Room and offer Patio seating overlooking beautiful downtown Ventura! Lure Fish House was created with the goal of providing you with a Top Tier Seafood Experience featuring fresh and sustainable seafood from trusted sources. Our restaurant strives to provide locally caught seafood, organically grown local produce, and wines from local vineyards whenever possible. We also feature a full bar with specialty cocktails, and an oyster bar serving a variety of fresh items that can vary daily. Lure specializes in Mesquite charbroiled seafood while also providing uniquely prepared selections by our chef. We print our menus daily to reflect availability and guarantee freshness. Our primary goal is to provide you, our guest, a fun and exciting seafood experience. So just remember, "if you are looking for a healthy and delicious dish...Eat more fish!"
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The skinny:

Parking- metered street
Decor- modern
Restroom- clean and modern
Service- inexperienced
Coke Factor- from the bar, was ok
Food- yummy clam chowder

I just recently toured the Pacific Northwest and ate clam chowder 5 times so this clam chowder had a lot to measure up to. It was creamy and smooth but a bit on the salty side. The bowl is really a big cup which I thought was weird. The sourdough rolls were good though and the grilled artichoke was the star! Very delicious with just the right amount of charring. There is melted butter and aioli to dip into also. My hubby had the crab cakes which he said were very tasty. The service was a bit timid and she needs to listen so as to not ask the same questions over and over. The booth was comfy and I would come back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,225)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Downtown Ventura has seen a revitalization over the last several years and Lure is certainly part of that vibe. The restaurant has a cool, upbeat and upscale atmosphere and great service, and the seafood selections and preparations are top-notch. If you want delicious seafood by the sea, Lure is a worthy destination. You might have a wait to be seated but you won't regret it. And then you can spend some quality time strolling around Ventura's Main Street, where boutique shops and quirky thrift stores blend right in with trendy restaurants and bars.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I will start out by saying that I am normally a red meat fan and would normally opt for a steakhouse than a seafood restaurant any day but after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor for the "Lure Fish House" I thought I'm going to have to give that place a try... And boy am I glad I did as it was AMAZING!!

To begin with the place is very trendy looking and has a great 'buzz' about it. I walked in at 6:30pm on a Friday evening (18Jul14) and it was rammed. In the front of house there is a large square bar area where you can get drinks and eat at the bar with high tables around the sides then there is a more formal dining area out the back. For the dining area there was a 45 minute wait for a table but eating at the bar / bar side tables it's a "first come first severed" arrangement and luckily I managed to grab a table as someone left.

The menu is obviously 95% seafood but there were a couple of meat options if you can't eat fish but were dining here with a seafood fan. I opted to start with a cup of their "White Clam Chowder" (US$3.50 with an entrée) and this was heaven!! For my entrée I decided to go for the "Lure Seafood Grill" (US$25.95) which consisted of Oysters, Shrimp, Scallops and Fish. Since I am not an Oyster fan I substituted my Oysters for extra Shrimp. This entrée came with 2 sides and I had the Spinach and the Potato Cake... It was all SUPERBLY fresh, full of flavour and just seemed super healthy, (as opposed to my usual red meat feast!!). Photo of my entrée attached.

Everyone around me was raving about their food and everything I saw on other folks tables looked equally amazing as mine. My server was a guy called Darryl and he was one of the nicest and happiest servers I think I have ever encountered in a US restaurant... Good job Darryl.

I would certainly eat here again given a chance and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to anyone visiting Ventura. There are many places to eat in Ventura but I think the Lure Fish House deserves its top place here on Trip Advisor and I'd be surprised if anyone knocks it off the #1 slot.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

The entire staff was genuinely friendly. Our waiter was very knowledgable about not only the food (which you would expect) but the history of the restaurant and all the various items of decoration. Very adept at determining our interests and having a real conversation (something besides food and weather). The food was some of the best seafood we've had. Excellent flavor and spices without being overdone.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I cant recommend this place highly enough, we loved it so much, we stayed an extra night in Ventura, just so as we could eat there again. In my 3 week trip to the states, this was my favourite meal. The seared tuna was delicious !! Calamari starter and the Oysters were amazing. The most friendly staff ever!! Particular mention for Nate and Madeline who looked after us so well. Great atmosphere in this place, go visit !!!!

Been to Lure Fish House? Share your experiences!