“Excellent seafood, but watch the pricey add ons”
Review of Lure Fish House

Lure Fish House
Ranked #1 of 437 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Hours: Happy Hour Sunday 11:30 am - 6:00 pm and Monday - Friday 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm. We have a Private Dining Room and offer Patio seating overlooking beautiful downtown Ventura! Lure Fish House was created with the goal of providing you with a Top Tier Seafood Experience featuring fresh and sustainable seafood from trusted sources. Our restaurant strives to provide locally caught seafood, organically grown local produce, and wines from local vineyards whenever possible. We also feature a full bar with specialty cocktails, and an oyster bar serving a variety of fresh items that can vary daily. Lure specializes in Mesquite charbroiled seafood while also providing uniquely prepared selections by our chef. We print our menus daily to reflect availability and guarantee freshness. Our primary goal is to provide you, our guest, a fun and exciting seafood experience. So just remember, "if you are looking for a healthy and delicious dish...Eat more fish!"
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Lure has all the right things going for it. Fabulous and varied menu, excellent service, and a lovely décor and ambiance. We stopped in for a small bite after a movie and sat at the bar. We ordered 3 appetizers: the crab cakes, the Venus steamed clams and the chopped salad. The waiter asked if we wanted the salad as an entre'. We said bring it all together. I didn't notice that there is both an appetizer size and an entre' sized salad. He put our order in for the entre' sized salad that was more expensive. The food was good and we were having a nice evening so I didn't challenge it.
The following evening we returned to Lure with our family for dinner. My SIL ordered the small lobster and raved about the quality. The mahi-mahi was cooked to perfection. My brother ordered the shrimp and scallops brochette which was loaded with large pieces nicely cooked. The Alaskan halibut was very good. Our server was attentive and made our meal enjoyable.

My only complaint is that each entre' comes with 2 sides. If you don't read closely and completely understand the information and small print about the sides, you will be charged an additional $1.95 for the brussel sprouts, the asparagus and other "local" produce items. This little mistake added 4 x $1.95 to our bill. While I understand most menu pricing and am fine with a restaurant getting the most for their product, I feel this is a little bait and switch and a way to increase the price of the meal for no reason. Most of the vegetable items served at Lure are "local" as this area and the nearby Salinas Valley are the 2 largest vegetable producing areas in the U.S.

Go and have a great meal, but watch for those "oh by the way over charges".

2  Thank salesmaven

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Excellent happy hour - I recommend getting the fish tacos as they're a steal. Liquor isn't particularly cheap but you're going to Lure to get trashed then you're doing it wrong.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Well , this was our last stop before boarding the train at Oxnard , completing our vacation while visiting our son in California. My son decided that this establishment would be a good selection for our last meal. The seafood selection on the menu was extensive , but I chose the old standby - Fish And Chips , and so did my wife and son. The service was very friendly and helpful , the food was delicious and affordable - great fish , fries , and coleslaw - and the atmosphere was bright and lively . . . a great finale to our vacation in California. California is the most wonderful state to visit . . . the food out here is absolutely excellent and there is so much to see and do . . . maybe some day I will move to this outstanding state !

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This seafood restaurant was terrific. Service was great, the salad and bread was perfect. The fish and seafood was delicious. The wait was long, about an hour at 6 pm on a Saturday night and they don't take reservations for parties under 8. Still and all worth the wait.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've now been here twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner. The dinner was early enough to take advantage of Happy Hour prices. We had a couple glasses of great Chardonnay for $3 each!

The food is excellent and the service matched. It gets crowded during and after Happy hour and they don't take reservations - but if you plan it right you won't have a long wait and the dining experience is worth it.

There is free parking in a garage right behind the restaurant.

I will return!

Been to Lure Fish House? Share your experiences!