“Worth a pick up for the drive home (to Santa Cruz!)”
Review of Johnny's Taco Bar

Johnny's Taco Bar
Ranked #87 of 437 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I grew up in Ventura and if we had the munchies, and you know what I mean, a trip to Johnny's was in order. Actually, the whole family loves their burritos (what's this about tacos? who goes there for tacos?!).

We went through town just recently and I had to stop and pick up burritos to bring home to Santa Cruz for dinner. Chocked full of pork and verde sauce, these puppies were delicious. The salsa on the side was yummy too.

A worthwhile stop while in town - check them out. Been a great bet for over 30 years!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Good Mexican taco's. Good setting, you can watch what goes on on the Avenue. Interesting place with excellent Mexican menu. Not fancy, but original. Not Taco Bell. Try the lunch and dinner plates, you'll be surprised. Indoor and outdoor seating. Authentic, real and down to earth. If you are used to the fancy places, then is is a change of pace and I am sure you will like it. Be careful in the parking lot- there is a pipe structure when you back up. I know cause I hit it, doing $1200. in damage to my car. That's the only bad thing. Otherwise- very good.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've eaten here since the 70s, and the cheese enchilada with the fried tortilla over the top, their gooey cheese, and the enchilada sauce has stayed consistently wonderful for all these years. It is the standard that I measure all other enchiladas, and I have yet to find one as good.Their prices have increased the last few years, but their beef burrito is still a good option. My out of town friends hit Johnny's every time they come to town. It's an icon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Johnnys has lost its luster since the new owners took over several years ago. Still, if I am in the neighborhood I will order the chili colorado burrito.

I have been going to Johnny's for more than 30 years. t remains a dive on the Avenue. Perhaps that is part of it's charm and ambiance. Though declining with the new owner it is still worth a stop.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

A little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant. You walk up and order but there is both indoor and outdoor seating. I got an enchilada and a beef taco while my husband ordered three carne asada tacos. The chips were made fresh and could choose from corn or flour. Great food for a great price.

Been to Johnny's Taco Bar? Share your experiences!