“Nice friendly place”

Spring Garden
Ranked #137 of 439 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We visited the Spring Garden on 19 Nov at about 6PM. There were three occupied tables and six when we left. The place looks like a small 50's strip mall diner and the "mall" has been there since 1969 (when I first moved there) so ambiance is not a high point but it was clean and neat.

Two booths away several staff were taking phoned in to-go orders at various times, from this end it appeared that they patiently put a lot of effort in ensuring you knew what you were ordering with a lot of descriptions. But I did not see the results of those orders so that is just a side note. A family sat at the table across the aisle from us and appeared to want the normally bland dishes made a bit spicier, and it sounded like the staff was agreeable to adding the hot stuff.

We ordered the $15.95/person house special dinner with 'Shrimp With Vegetables' and 'General Tso's Chicken' as the main dishes.

On the appetizers, the Wor Wonton soup was very good with a nice helping of various Wor Wonton stuff in the broth and at an appropriately hot temperature. The parchment wrapped chicken was standard wrapped in aluminum foil flavored chicken morsel, no + or - here. The butterfly shrimp was a bit on the thin side but not greasy like some and tasted good. The egg roll was apparently vegetarian, the smaller variation that appears to be thin parchment dough instead of the thick bulky dough like some places, and was also nicely deep fried with no excess grease, tasted good too. The fried rice was just mediocre, not worth the effort of putting in a to-go box.

As we were ordering and eating, we were served the complementary crispy noodles and some dipping sauce. Through out the ordering and appetizer portion of the meal when we finished the noodles they kept asking if we wanted more and bought more out, fast, when we said please.

The 'Shrimp With Vegetables' was a white sauce dish, had a bit more shrimp that we were use to getting, so that was a plus, and it was tasty. I would rate that as a almost very good on the scale here.

The 'General Tso's Chicken' on the other hand was a surprise. I am not a big fan of it unlike my wife. However I enjoyed Spring Garden's variation very much, crispy and not too spicy, we both said it was excellent.

The next morning we had the other half of the two main dishes for breakfast, nuked in the microwave, and still thought the same as the night before.

Cons: off of Victoria Ave in the Target/Trader Joe's shopping center, never did like that street during the high traffic times. The side fried rice maybe was not the worse I have had, but it was down there.

Overall a nice place to go if you just was good food and are not looking for the "ambiance" and serving a normally decent amount of food so that we had left overs. My wife's comment was "it all tastes so fresh".
CAVEAT: this is based upon one trip, maybe next year we will go again and get something different if the reviews stay good and see if this opinion changes.

1  Thank 1Ray

Reviewed April 7, 2012

We visited here last night, and the food was delicious, freshly prepared, and served in pleasant surroundings. Our waitress, Susan, was delightful. We ordered the Special House Meal, with four of us, so we got four entrees. All were delicious. One of our party has an issue with garlic, so we asked that our dishes be prepared without it, and they were happy to comply. This is a new restaurant in a location of a former Chinese restaurant, and it's so much better than the former tenant, but the place wasn't too busy for a Friday night, and I'm afraid the reputation of the former restaurant is harming this one. That's a shame, because this was a great meal, and I hope word will get out that Spring Garden is a great place for Chinese food.

1  Thank VtaTraveler
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The food at the Spring Garden was excellent. The problem is with communication. I phoned ahead and asked if I could use a voucher purchased on-line. Was told yes. Then when we sat down, asked again and was told yes. Asked if we could order off of the lunch menu and was told yes. But, when it came time to pay the bill, a women came out and said we could not order from the lunch menu and could not use our voucher. She added another $2 to our lunch purchase and added $14 for our voucher. She did, with enough debate, remove the $14 and accept our voucher. She did not even tell us about the extra $2 that she added on for the lunch menu purchase.
I'll be back because the food was so good. They just need to know that when one employee okays something, they have to stand by that.

1  Thank m-vano

Been to Spring Garden? Share your experiences!