“Good but I got sick both times I ate here!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ventura Avenue
Ventura, California
“Good but I got sick both times I ate here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We tried this place twice, once for its lunch specials and once for take out. Both times I got very sick after eating there, I think it might be that they use a lot of MSG which gives me migraines. I really wanted to like this place, the food was good but I can't eat at places that use MSG so this place is out for us! Bummer!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Amelia H

• Polish first
San Diego, California
“Small Strip Mall Restaurant - Great Taste and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We decided to stop over at Ventura for lunch on our way back from the Bay Area. A quick yelp search showed us Himalaya. We were skeptical about the small strip mall restaurant. But the skepticism ended there. The food was excellent and the service prompt and good. The butter chicken (makhni) was excellent and so was the paneer masala. The portion sizes were really good. If you crave Indian food in Ventura this is a sure hit.Take it from the brown guy :-)

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Best Indian And tibetan food in Ventura!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The food here is so delicious. It is my and all my friends favorite restaurant. We love the little tables where you can sit on the floor. Of course, there are tables where you don't have to sit on the floor. They bring you a scrumptious soup to start. So healthful and a wonderful way to start a meal. Often we get vegetarian fare, but the chicken tikka masala is so good! Even my children who don't like Indian food like it. There seems to be something for everyone, in other words, not too spicy. I always feel great when I finish eating! Healthy wonderful place, with a warm accommodating staff, will not dissaapoint! They also have a system where you check in and after a certain amount of meals, you get a free meal. Awesome!

• Visited February 2013
Ojai, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't let the location deter you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Himalaya may have arguably the worst location in the city, but don't for a second let that deter you from joining them for an amazing meal. The service staff is incredibly friendly and very willing to make suggestions if you are not familiar with Tibetan/Indian cuisine. They will also add the appropriate heat to suit your tastes using what they call the spice-o-meter, which ranges from 1 for kids to 5 for the very brave. I've had a few lunches and dinners there, and everything was thoughtfully prepared and delicious. They also have a little tienda to the side selling trinkets from the region. Don't miss an opportunity to dine in this little gem!

• Visited January 2013
ojai, california
“fine Tibetan food in surprising location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had lunch there today for the first time. It was a light luncheon, so experience was somewhat limited with their diverse food offerings, but very pleasing. Service was courteous and unhurried.
Off the Avenue in Ventura, one would not expect this family run ethnic restaurant there... but there it is! A nice surprise, at the opposite end of Vons, sharing their ample parking lot.
I expect to go back soon and try a lot more of their specialties!

• Visited January 2013