“Good bagels in a nice setting”
Review of Savory Cafe & Bakery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Savory Cafe & Bakery
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Downtown Ventura with a covered patio near the street. A large, sort of inefficient space where the bakery counter is. You order at the counter, which displays items in a large case, and they will bring you your food, or you take it to go. I was here for breakfast, which has very reasonable prices. The bagel was pretty good, but he toasted it before I got a chance to tell him not to. I prefer my bagels not toasted. I had the dill cream cheese, which was very good. The coffee was good, and they gave me a free refill. I would come back here for breakfast anyway, and would like to try some of their breads.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The short of it is we waited over 45 min for breakfast. Sat on the patio with a dog, and 6 other parties came in spread out about 10-30 min after us and thu were served food before us. We had to find the waiter to see of we were getting food. He never once apologize or acknowledged the wait. Very rude!! Food was decent.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We ordered the salmon salad, which was garnished with blackberries and pecans, and was served with a delicious blackberry dressing. We also enjoyed the create-your-own crepe, choosing four ingredients from a long list (I went with gruyere cheese, mushrooms, spinach, and caramelized onions...great combination!). The service was fast and the portions were large. While we were waiting for our food at this cute Main Street cafe, we munched on a complimentary basket of bagel chips that were served with a tasty cream cheese spread. Savory Cafe is a great lunch/brunch choice!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This cafe used to have one of my favorite pastas. It was a gemelli pasta with lots of yummy cheese which was baked and crusty. Well, I went back on Monday with my daughter and we ordered the gemelli and a chopped salad. The salad was OK but uninspired. The pasta tasted like boiled packaged pasta with nacho cheese sauce poured over it for $12! It was awful. I mentioned it to the waiter and he took $4 off and looked uninterested. No manager or owner in sight. I know this restaurant is going through a change in ownership (Andy's Deli?) but I will not be back. Who needs overpriced, mediocre food and poor customer service? Too bad. It used to be so good.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I have been to Ventura, CA many times. We decided to try a place we had never been to. It was crowded, always a good sign. It was Sunday at noon and most tables were full, there seemed to be only a few wait staff. Prices were on the high side for the food. Turkey sandwich and fires was $12. The food took 20+ minutes to arrive. It was very good and decent portions. We were in a hurry and asked for the check when the food arrived. 20 minutes later, no check. My wife asked again, still no check. She finally flagged down a bus boy and the check eventually appeared. Also the floors were absolutely filthy. It looked like they had not been washed in a week. While the food was good we were disappointed in the slow service and the dirty floors. One more thing, between the constant street noise, very loud motorcycles the entire time and the many loud guests it was very hard to have a nice conversation. Needless to say, we will not return.