“A decent hotel not far from the beach in downtown Ventura”
Review of Amanzi Hotel

Amanzi Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with family for an event in early November 2013. While the hotel structure was certainly showing some signs of wear and age the rooms and common areas were clean in and in decent repair. The staff was mostly friendly, and were always professional. The included breakfast was good and included the standard continental buffet with hot eggs, bacon/sausage, hash browns, biscuits and waffles. As for location, it was fairly good being in downtown Ventura with just a short walk to either the main commercial area or beach. It is adjacent to a railway, however it's hardly noticeable since the rains only run during the day and the adjacent track is on a bridge going over highway 101. The highway though is, quite noticeable if in one of the rooms above it. This section of the highway is sunken down and on a curve. That causes trucks to downshift and use their engine break. The sound of that is then reflected off the retaining walls directly into the rooms on the northwest side of the hotel. And the trucks continue to pass by all night long... The hotel seems to have tried to mitigate the problem by installing triple pane windows in those rooms but sadly it seems ineffective.

That lead to my only large annoyance with the hotel
The room I and a family member was assigned for the first night was directly above highway 101 so it did have road noise, I asked if they had any ear plugs to help reduce the noise and was told they neither provided nor sold any earplugs. That really is an oversight in my opinion. While it's understandable due to cost for them not to provide earplugs for free, not even keeping a few on hand for sale at a reasonable cost for those sensitive to the road noise, when some rooms have a known problem with it, is just poor customer service.. Being too late to obtain earplugs form elsewhere, I unfortunately was unable to get much sleep that night.. Since we were staying more than one night I asked the next morning if it was possible move rooms, and fortunately it was. The room we were moved to across the hall was much quieter and I slept well the following nights.

One minor annoyance was that the breakfast requires a coupon that is given with the room cards on check-in. The night desk attendant did not inform us of this though and while they were still given to us we had no idea they were needed the following morning. Fortunately though, aside from the breakfast buffet attendant making note of the fact we didn't have them with us he still let us eat.

So in summation, despite the road noise issues, for the value you get this is a great hotel to stay at. Just be sure to bring some earplugs and/or try to get a room facing away from the highway.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms located to the Northwest side of the Hotel since they are located directly ov...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were happy to find a hotel outside of LA and closer to Santa Barbara that was worth the drive, and worth the money. We stayed on a third floor room that looked over the parking lot and towards some of Ventura. We had a comfortable night, and then enjoyed our breakfast before setting out for adventures. Breakfast had so many options and plenty of healthy choices. The staff running the breakfast area were so pleasant and eager to greet us and offer any assistance. I think the hotel might benefit from some room upgrades and updates. Otherwise, we were glad for this spot at the price we paid and would highly recommend if you're traveling out of Santa Monica area up towards Santa Barbara and beyond.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed at the hotel in Nov 2013 and Ieft a shirt in the room when I checked out. The Assistant General Manager Eva Soto as well as the housekeeping department took all the trouble to locate it and send it to me. This good service adds to the other good things about the hotel that the other people have been talking about. I commend the hotel for its high level of service!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were very pleased with our brief (one night) stay at the Country Inn & Suites. Our king room with fireplace was roomy, very clean and comfortable, and best of all, faced the mountains (as opposed to the ocean) which meant we didn't even hear the frequent Amtrak and freight trains go by!

We arrived well before check-in, but the front desk staff were very welcoming (and even a bit apologetic that our room wasn't ready). We left to grab some lunch, and when we came back our keys were waiting for us.

The location is two blocks from the center of Main Street, and provides easy access (without the hassle of scouting out a parking spot) to movies, restaurants, and shops. On the other side, the hotel is also a short walk to the pier and the beach. Ideal.

A full breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, fruit, breakfast pastries and breads, juices) is included in the room rate and was fresh and good.

Overall, we had no complaints, and will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here this weekend. The hotel is nice and a value at the $86.00 rate we got. They have free breakfast included, but after trying it, we will eat somewhere else. None of the food had any flavor except the biscuits and the orange juice. The scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns all tasted the same to me. But the rooms are large and it seems to be well maintained. If they are booked up though, good luck finding a parking spot.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Country Inn and Suites in Ventura. The hotel is located next to the 101 freeway. I stayed at this location because it was less than 10 minutes to the Ventura Amtrak station and didn't want to pay the high prices in Santa Barbara. The hotel is right next to the freeway and the rail road tracks. Check in was just OK. Fast, but not friendly. My room was big, clean and comfortable. I didn't any outside noise. The included breakfast is actually OK. Normal stuff, however, there are two people in the kitchen that prepare and serve the food. I had only one problem on this trip. In Santa Barbara, I purchase some tea and coffee to use in my room. I put the grocery bag approx. less than 6 inches from the garbage can. When I returned to my room the next day, it was gone. I could only assume that is was thrown out with the trash. Mindful that is was not IN the trash can. I asked the front desk if housekeeping could at least try to locate the bag. I could just tell that the front desk person was not going to help. Twice I told him my room number and he didn't blink an eye. He told me to check back after 7:30AM the next day. So, I did just that. The person on the phone was good: I was completely sure she knew nothing about my problem, but politely told me: I was being looked into. To help the staff, I only use on trash can for the room. I also leave a pile to be recycled. What I didn't leave was a tip for housekeeping that I normally put in an envelope and leave with the front desk. Not sure I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here one night and totally enjoyed our room. It has two nice comfy beds with, large screen tv, fridge, coffee maker and refrigerator. Rooms were clean and appealing. My husband and I are big computer people however and found the internet connection awful. We were in the first room off the lobby and so, should have been close to the source of the internet. Did not matter, we had "two bars" and the page loading was terrible and would not load more frequently than it did load. They need to fix the internet for guests or stop advertising they have wireless internet. It's annoying. Already prepaid for an additional night on our return home so will be staying here again. if we had not already prepaid, I would find another hotel and only because of the internet problem. Get a stronger internet signal for guests would be my one recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple