I stayed in this hotel with family for an event in early November 2013. While the hotel structure was certainly showing some signs of wear and age the rooms and common areas were clean in and in decent repair. The staff was mostly friendly, and were always professional. The included breakfast was good and included the standard continental buffet with hot eggs, bacon/sausage, hash browns, biscuits and waffles. As for location, it was fairly good being in downtown Ventura with just a short walk to either the main commercial area or beach. It is adjacent to a railway, however it's hardly noticeable since the rains only run during the day and the adjacent track is on a bridge going over highway 101. The highway though is, quite noticeable if in one of the rooms above it. This section of the highway is sunken down and on a curve. That causes trucks to downshift and use their engine break. The sound of that is then reflected off the retaining walls directly into the rooms on the northwest side of the hotel. And the trucks continue to pass by all night long... The hotel seems to have tried to mitigate the problem by installing triple pane windows in those rooms but sadly it seems ineffective.
That lead to my only large annoyance with the hotel
The room I and a family member was assigned for the first night was directly above highway 101 so it did have road noise, I asked if they had any ear plugs to help reduce the noise and was told they neither provided nor sold any earplugs. That really is an oversight in my opinion. While it's understandable due to cost for them not to provide earplugs for free, not even keeping a few on hand for sale at a reasonable cost for those sensitive to the road noise, when some rooms have a known problem with it, is just poor customer service.. Being too late to obtain earplugs form elsewhere, I unfortunately was unable to get much sleep that night.. Since we were staying more than one night I asked the next morning if it was possible move rooms, and fortunately it was. The room we were moved to across the hall was much quieter and I slept well the following nights.
One minor annoyance was that the breakfast requires a coupon that is given with the room cards on check-in. The night desk attendant did not inform us of this though and while they were still given to us we had no idea they were needed the following morning. Fortunately though, aside from the breakfast buffet attendant making note of the fact we didn't have them with us he still let us eat.
So in summation, despite the road noise issues, for the value you get this is a great hotel to stay at. Just be sure to bring some earplugs and/or try to get a room facing away from the highway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amanzi Hotel is located between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara in the coastal town of Ventura, California. Recently introduced as the only boutique hotel in Ventura. The Amanzi presents a contemporary ambiance with the warmth of hospitality. From carefully selected room amenities & guest services which enhance business travel or leisure trips, the hotel (formerly Country Inn & Suites by Carlson) offers the ideal location for your California trip. Complimentary hot breakfast, WiFi access, evening Manager's Happy Hour and spacious guest rooms (full renovations completed by winter 2017!) add value for travelers looking to enjoy all that the area has to offer. Stay comfortably as you rejuvenate at the beach, gather for business events at nearby venues, or tour the Pacific Coastline! The Amanzi Hotel is located right off the 101 Ventura Freeway, walking distance from the beach, Downtown Main Street and City Hall! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Amanzi Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ventura Hotel Ventura
- Country Inn And Suites By Carlson, Ventura
- Country Inn Ventura
- Ventura Country Inn