“A Fun Night Out”

Rubicon Theatre Company
Ranked #12 of 72 things to do in Ventura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Rubicon Theatre Company is a non-profit regional theatre based in Ventura, California. True to the name and the vision of founders Karyl Lynn Burns and James O’Neil, the company is committed to providing a nurturing environment for artists where exploration and experimentation are encouraged and supported. Now in its 19th Season, Rubicon has earned a reputation for innovative, reinvigorated productions of classics; and for the development of new works. The company has presented more than 115 diverse mainstage productions to more than 420,000 audience members. Described by critics as “the rising star of the Southern California cultural scene” and the “best theatre between Los Angeles and San Francisco,” the company has won a New York Drama Desk Award (four nominations), the L.A. Drama Critics Circle Award for “Sustained Excellence,” 14 Ovation Awards, a NAACP Award, and multiple Indy, Garland and Robby Awards. Luminaries such as Susan Clark, Dana Delaney, Bonnie Franklin, Joel Grey, Gregory Harrison, Bill Irwin, Harold Gould, Larry Hagman, Stacy Keach, Michael Learned, Ted Neeley, Paul Provenza, Linda Purl, Joe Spano, Bruce Weitz, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. and Stephanie Zimbalist have graced the Rubicon stage. Jack Lemmon and John Ritter made their final stage appearances with Rubicon.
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been here twice to see plays and, even though I would not consider myself a huge fan of plays, both times were really fun. The actors are great and the setting is very intimate so you feel like you are part of the action.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you like live perfromances then visit the Rubicon. The perfromances range from drama to music to repertory. Sometimes the language can be adult only so check that in advance. Very intimate setting where the audience is close to the actors and action. Professional performance....not an amateur group.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I'm a retired music/drama director with a great love for live theater. The Rubicon is NOT your usual small town amateur company. The acting, direction and production are 1st class. We've been regulars for about 10 years and only a couple of times were we disappointed... those times were more about the plays than the Rubicon. They produce a wide variety of fare from Shakespeare to musicals to new works. They often feature "big name" actors. Great value (especially compared to L.A.)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We always enjoy the Rubicon Theatre -- it is a small venue, only about 200 seats, but always professional actors -- so always very high quality productions, very creatively staged. Last week we saw the one-man show "Robert E Lee" starring Tim Dugan (who also does a one-man show on Simon Wiesenthal: Conscience of the Holocaust). The production was very well done and taught me many things about Lee and the Civil War that I had not known.

If you are in the Ventura area, be sure to check out what the Rubicon has on stage. You will not be disappointed it the high quality of this company.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I live 3000 away from this jewel of a theatre, and still get there - usually once to twice a year. I have told them if I could pick the theatre up and put RTC in my backyard, it would already be there! Top notch theatre, at barely a fraction of Broadway prices, beautiful atmosphere, many eateries very nearby, amazing performances, wonderful people, and, best of all, it's very family-like and homey. This is not a combination you find anywhere else for the calliber theatre performed at RTC. I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE I know! My home away from home!