“If I lived closer I'd want to live in this cave.”
Review of The Cave

The Cave
Ranked #32 of 434 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Description: Wine Bar
Description: Wine Bar
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Wow! If you LOVE FOOD the way I LOVE FOOD, do not miss this place if you are in the area. Even if you aren't that close, go there anyway. Seriously, everything we had was excellent. The dishes are small, they are designed that way. If you like to try little bites of things, you'll love it. And I did try a bunch of things. There are also regular size dishes, aswell. Like the turkey burger with brie, that was yummy. The chef, is wonderful! Really a true foodie and very warm, too. Great wine selection, and I'm not sure what it's called, but I love the way they do the wine pouring. I've only seen that same thing in London. You load up your card with money and then go to the machine. You can select different tastes of wine or get a full glass. I tried three different wines, just a taste of each. It was like flights of beer, but wine! This place isn't inexspensive, but it was a great value for how wonderful it was! Lastly, it is called The Cave, because it is in a cave, man made of course. Spelunking never tasted this good!

There are newer reviews for The Cave

Reviewed November 20, 2011

We dropped by about 7 on a Friday night with no reservation and were seated immediately in a very busy cave. Buying wine with a prepaid card out of a dispenser was a new concept for us, but the wines were good and varied and the prices fair. The two "small " plates we had were not small. We split the meat and cheese plate and the calamari stuffed with crab plate and we could eat no more, and they were terrific! We thought the prices were more than fair. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and could find NO fault whatsoever. I know we will be back and not just because I have a little bit left on the wine card! Truly a fun night out

2  Thank Ojairc
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The Cave brings wine tasting to a whole new level. The concept of sampling wine from the wine machine was a lot of fun. It's a great way to sample a lot of different types of wine. You can sample 1 oz of a more expensive wine without having to buy a whole glass.

The food was amazing. It's truly gourmet. They have a nice menu with several tapas size dishes, as well as larger plates. They also have cheese plates, pizza, etc. The chicken marsala was some of the best I have ever had. You can try several different tapas instead of eating one big meal. The desserts are terrific as well.

They have a well stocked liquor and wine store in the front. You can buy wine at the store and bring it into the cave. Several nights per week they offer a no corkage fee.

The atmosphere is a lot of fun. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about wine.

I will definitely be back.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

We visited The Cave with 2 other couples. The pizza is a never miss item and the Ahi Poke was fantastic. It is really nice that you can pick-up a bottle of wine in the store and have is corked in the restaraunt for free (except Saturday after 4pm when the corkage is an $15.00 so don't buy a $12.00 bottle of wine as it will be $27.00)

The atmosphere is OK - They have done a good job with the space but it feels a little close or claustraphopic. Anyway, the food is truely wonderful and the chef "Gary" is very creative with interesting dishes. The dishes are "small plates" and it is really fun to try out a few different dishes.