“Use your car and go elsewhere”

Shoals Restaurant at The Cliff House Inn
Ranked #19 of 437 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

So I may sound like a hypocrite. I just raved about how some of the underwhelming features of staying at the hotel were overruled by how amazing the view and location was.

And yet, here I am to say with the restaurant, the view is about all this place has going for it, and that's not enough to ever make me want to eat there again.

Had a super dry porkchop, with blue cheese mashed potatoes that missed blue cheese dearly. Had a bottle of wine that was whatever, but on the bright side, the price was cheap (pretty sure it was a cousin of Two Buck Chuck). And had seasonal veggies that I don't think were ever really cooked.

The service, while sweet, is downright bad.

The reason it gets two stars instead of one- man, that view is something else!!! But for me, I rather venture into Carpinteria or Ventura and eat some good food, and spend much of my day at the hotel, lounging around the pool relaxing!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Not only was the dinner fantastic, but the service was spot on. And, of course, you can't beat the views. The soup of the daily was a carrot ginger which remarkable. The daily catch was sea bass with a shitake mushroom and ginger sauce. I can't wait to attempt a replication of these recipes at home!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are not too many places along the central coast where one is able to sit oceanside, enjoy excellent food with wonderful service. A long time family owned inn and restaurant it is funky but oh, so worth the stop. We have stayed several times even though we live close by as it's like a weekend away in Hawaii. We have a favorite room that is spacious with a huge picture window overlooking the ocean with the sound of the surf. The bathrooms are old but work and the water pressure in the shower is so much better than a lot of the big, expensive, hotels.

For the past 5 years we have had our Thanksgiving meal there along with 8 or 10 friends -- always a beautiful and warm day -- with choices of the traditional meals or vegetarian.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This review is only for the restaurant. We did not stay at the hotel.

What an amazing view! We had lunch here on a Sat and loved it so much, we returned the next day! Expect to sit back and relax. If you are in a hurry, this place is not for you. Everything was delicious from the fresh baked bread, Caesar salad, Eggs Benedict, Huevos Rancheros, hamburgers and customized omelets. As one TA member mentioned below, it's all about the view and dining al fresco, so be sure to pick a sunny day! Happy eating!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great restaurant and the rooms were spacious. I really liked the service, also. We were really close to the freeway so going to Santa Barbara was a breeze.

1  Thank Polly G