“What Happened to This Resturant”

Shoals Restaurant at The Cliff House Inn
Ranked #22 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2012

when I got out of the car and noticed the sign said Island Grill I should have left. There menu has changed drastically. They have tapas now. they wanted $15 for three scallops. They ran out of romaine lettece so there was no ceaser salad. The fish of the day was lobster, nothing else. They have also added hamburgers and fish and chips to the menu. if i wanted a hamburger I would go to In and Out. The only pasta dish they had was pesto pasta. i ordered it with chicken, it came with the vegtables I did not want. If you want a second basket of bread it will cost you an extra $1.50. I sent my pasta back it had not taste to it. The chicken tasked like it had been cooked separately and just wating for someone to order it. I make a better pesto. we use to love this place, will probably not be back there anymore. I asked the hotest before I sat down if anything had change since the name change and she said no. she must not have seen the previous menu. Skip this place, don't waste your time.

1  Thank Mary W

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Casual fine dining - they make the rules - you want to play/go - food was-is-great. You want a seaside restaurant - waves crashing just below - wine on outdoor chairs overlooking the dolphins? This is the small intimate place.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

This place is really good, and it's been around for over 20 years. They could charge more; they are RIGHT on the ocean and for the hotel guests, there are no other dining options that do not involve a car ride. Having said that, I noticed on both evening that we dined there, there were also locals at the resraurant. my husband and I ate there two evenings in a row and all four of the entrees we had were really good. If you are burned out on seafood, their ribeye is superb! Super friendly service. Casual atmosphere yet high quality food. We would definately return.

1  Thank acribari
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We had dinner at this now named "Island Grill" Saturday evening 7/30/11, with another couple who had joined us for good and reasonably priced dinners several times in the past few years. What a huge disappointment for all four of us! It is not the same restaurant in any way. There are many fewer entrees and they are all in the high $20's to the mid $30's price range---and there is now nothing at all to distinguish the presentation and uninspired taste of the food at such high priceDuring the summer season the Cliff House Inn attracts a lot of tourists and it seems like management feels like they can soak these probable one time visitors and get away with it. But as locals---we will never go there again!

1  Thank bobinsantabarbara
Reviewed June 29, 2011

When the fog clears and I’m in the mood for incredible seafood, I head to the Shoals restaurant at the Cliffhouse. If it’s low tide you can peruse Mussel Shoals for crabs, sea stars and anemones. A view table on the patio will give you the opportunity to see surfing dolphins, or at the least, surfers. The best mussels appetizers are served for lunch or dinner. Ask for extra fresh bread to soak up the amazing sauce. I've eaten here numerous times and ordered several different entrees and I have never been disappointed. They also have a nice wine selection. Don’t miss out on their banana reef for dessert.

1  Thank DocVentura