“Favorite weekend getaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bella Maggiore Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ventura
Bella Maggiore Inn
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
los angeles
“Favorite weekend getaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2006

My boyfriend is from Ventura originally, and when we first began to date, we would drive up to Ventura when we wanted to get away for an evening. He had been familiar with the Bella for years, and suggested we stay there sometime. Well, when my birthday came around, I booked a suite at the Bella, which was room 38. When we first arrived at the hotel, we were in awe of the feeling that overcame us as we walked through the halls. It was very apparent that the hotel had a history of its own. We love adventuring into new places, so we were having a great little time of our own venturing around the hotel.

We went to dinner, and returned to the hotel later that evening. When we returned back to the room, all of the shutters had been closed shut. When we left the room originally, the shutters had been left open. As we just relaxed in the room, we began to hear a clicking noise. It was very inconsistent. We ignored it at first, but then agreed to step out and get some air. Once we left the hotel, I turned to my boyfriend and expressed that I felt as though we were being watched. He expressed back to me that he had been feeling the same way. We were so creeped out by the presence that we decided to leave, and drive back home.

Now, I love that hotel, but we just were not in the mood to deal with that which we just experienced. However, we both want to go back, and plan on having just a few more drinks next time, so we can cope with the presence better next time!

This hotel is very simple. If you want a five star hotel, stay at a Sheraton or Hilton. If you want personality, stay at the Bella. I see many people have said their experience was awful. I personally think they were just expecting too much.

• Liked — personality
  • Disliked — haunted
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank juju938

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

We had no idea what to expect of this hotel other than it was centrally located in Ventura. What a nice surprise to walk into a very European feeling hotel with a lot of charm. The location was great. We walked to the local brewpub which was less than a block away & also down to the water which was maybe 3 blocks away. Service was not over the top, but everyone was friendly. We were there 3 nights & only made it to breakfast one morning, it was quite good. (We were visiting the Channel Islands & the boat left before breakfast started) No, the place isn't spanking new or the Four Seasons, but our room was large & clean. We would definitely visit again.

• Liked — Location & Charm
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank min1k
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

Quite possibly the worst hotel experience ever! The hotel staff were rude. The room was a disaster. The bed was very uncomfortable. The window was broken so it would not stay open or close and could not be locked. On the night we stayed there was a very loud jazz band that played in the bar downstairs until almost 1:00am. We could not sleep at all. We politely mentioned this to the inn keeper and she could not have cared less. The complimentary breakfast was good-awful. My omelet smelled like dirty underwear. The restaurant server for very nice but the food is an abomination. Never, ever will we go back here again. Never. Ever!

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank millebornes

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2006

From the pleasant desk staff to the delicious breakfast, staying at the Bella Maggiore reminded me of my experiences in the UK. I loved the homey feel of the room, though mine (14) was a bit dark. It was quiet, as I'd requested a room at the back after reading other traveler's comments. The price was excellent, the convenience to downtown restaurants was much appreciated, and little touches like bottled water and chocolates were delightful.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Kbit29
ridgecrest, california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

We stayed at the Bella Maggiore last summer for our wedding anniversary and could hardly wait to get back. So when the opportunity presented itself, off we went. Seems like a very different experience. Much of the hotel really needed a sprucing up of the paint. Our room was clean and the bathroom very spacious. However, it was a Friday night and the noise was terrible. The police had to come and clean out the parking lot next to the building. Clean-up of the neighboring bar could have been louder (breaking bottles, rattling dishes) but I don't know how. Breakfast was great but the lady across the hall was also complaining about the noise (I suppose I looked as hollow-eyed as she did from lack of sleep). We thoroughly enjoy going to the Sportsman's Lodge next door and we love antique shopping in Ventura but unless it is a week-day, I think we will try another hotel. Too bad.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank desertrat2
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2006

The hotel is older, and has some neat architecture. That's about it.

Boy were we excited about this hotel. We even decided to stay in Ventura for the night because of it (we drove down the coast), but I wish we had spent $20 more and just stayed in Oxnard or Malibu.

First, Ventura is a "nothing" little town that I wouldn't recommend even getting gas in. It's dirty, boring, and offers nothing but a launch to the Channel Islands. Don't bother with it.

The hotel was a 3 or 4 story walkup. Something I was not told, and we had three medium to large suitcases. Sure, it's a pretty older place, but the room was small, didn't seem all that clean, and has no A/C. Our windows opened up right onto the patio, so if we wished to stay below 3rd-Degree-Burn temperature, that meant either not making love to my wife or providing a show for the guests sitting at tables a few feet from our room. We chose the former :)

The free REAL breakfast was nice - definately a plus. Not that it's gourmet food, more like Denny's or Village Inn, but better than continental.

One weird thing, and this could be my imagination - I think they may be reusing the hand soap in the guestroom bathrooms. It's a large thick round piece of "gourmet" soap that's cut from a long tube. It's wrapped simply in Saran Wrap with a Bella Maggiore sticker holding it together, and I could SWEAR it was almost wet when I opened it. Really freaked me out.

So, if you MUST stay in Ventura, you could do worse. But don't get your hopes up - it's a decent old place with more to offer in terms of ambiance than anything else.

• Liked — Free breakfast, neat building
  • Disliked — Windows provided no privacy.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Andre S
Temecula, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

The Bella Maggiore Inn is touted to be like an old European Inn because it is OLD! Hence, the barely retained elegance of the Lobby and the small rooms. The singlely attended front desk help was pleasant but not first rate. And our rooms just satisfactory. But...what more could we want for $84.00 (per room)? Once we settled into the situation there was much to enjoy. The large open-out windows of our rooms (we had 2 rooms) gave us a great view of the hubbub on downtown California Street. An intriguing Italian Restaurant, Fiore Cafe, with an outdoor patio Martini Bar & Karaoke was just across the street and from the sound of it a nice twenty-something crowd was having a grand time. Lots of laughter and comraderie. Sleep was difficult for me, but my husband and kids did fine. But back to the Bella--the wine and h'ordeuvres from 5-6 were a nice touch. Also very relaxing to read the paper and sip coffee in the old lobby in the a.m. Best of all was the full complimentary breakfast with a good selection of menu items. Breakfast is served in the Nona's Courtyard Cafe on site. The Courtyard Cafe is lovely! The food was good and valued at $45.00 for four people! You can't much beat that. A decent room, wine & cheese and this great breakfast--all for $84.00.
Our family of four traveled up the Calif. coast and into Oregon this summer and my fourteen year old son's favorite stay was the Bella. We liked it.

6 Thank radicalgirl