Cliff House Inn on the Ocean
Comfort Inn Ventura Beach(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$110
ComfortInn
$135
  • Breakfast included
$145
  • Beachfront
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$119
Ventura Beach Marriott(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$194
$84
$81
$147
Travelocity
All reviewsshoals restaurantlounge chairssanta barbarastar viewcontinental breakfastwaves crashingrestaurant food ishard boiled eggsgreat poolan older hotelbottom floorbike pathsmall hotelparking lotchannel islandssurfrincon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Our favorite spot a few miles north of Ventura, CA, like having your own oceanfront place with a pool and increditble views of the Channel Islands, plus a manmade island right offshore. Rooms are in the process of being updated, and some maintenance is being completed on siding and stairs in January, their slow time, hence their special room deals. Only a few other couples were staying here, so there weee plenty of lounge chairs facing the crashing waves. Included with the room is a continental breakfast with tables ten feet from the shore. Breakfast includes hardboiled egg, pastries and sourdough to gluten free rice bread to toast, plus cereal and oj. There's a beach to walk on at lowtide with rocks covered in mussels and sea stars. Another bonus is our favorite restaurant, Mussel Shoals-best seafood and mashed potatoes ever. Weather in January can range from sunny and warm to stormy-either way, it's a great getaway.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank dkayrenick
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Looking for a way to spice up your romance, looking for a wonderful lover's destination well lookno further. The Cliff House has everything you could want. It offered my boyfriend and I the perfect sunset, and the perfect hotel, all which made for an incredibly romantic anniversary. The staff was very attentive, the room very clean and cozy. The hotel does not offer just a view of the ocean, it sits directly on the ocean, making it easy for anyone to create great memories. Also, all rooms have an ocean front view!!! What could be better?The cost of the room was also amazing as it was less than $100 for a king size room in December. We paid more for our hotel room in Goleta which was no where near the beach.

Take my advice and enjoy this perfect romantic getaway! You will be happy you did!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank danateach
Reviewed November 22, 2012

A gold mine in the hands ... being lost!!!
It's a shame! The Hotel is located in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen but it is decadent. By leaps and bounds ...
The rooms have very old décor, smelling of old and ugly.
During the night a noise Naughty makes me crazy ... Mouse appeared.
The breakfast is crying bad.
The hotel needs to be rebuilt.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fabiloefadami
Reviewed November 12, 2012

A wonderful, funky little hotel tucked off Highway 1, the Cliff House Inn is an older hotel with galleries across the back, and a view straight onto the ocean, which is all you can hear with the windows open. The rooms aren't big, but they're comfy. The bathroom is a bit tiny, but it has everything you need. And below there is a tidy little outcropping over the water that holds a swimming pool and lovely little restaurant. Not elegant, not plush. But fun. Only downside. No air conditioning. But with cross-windows open, you don't notice, because the breeze doesn't stop.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank St.LouisEileen
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I really didn't do enough research, so I'm including photos and detailed information so you don't make the same mistake as I did. First the northbound exit from 101 takes you 10 miles out of your way. I discovered we'd paid a top price for a pit of a hotel. When we arrived, I was told that our rooms were on the third floor and there was NO ELEVATOR. That wasn't mentioned in the ad I read. I hate to think what would have happened if I'd been in a wheel chair. I'll give complete credit that the ocean view is breathtaking but there is no way to get to it, even though the ad says "beach access"! But as you climb the rickety hotel stairs, you feel sure they''re going to detach from the building. And when you try to sleep, you will quickly realize that the 101 Freeway is 20 feet away from the front of the room and the windows are non-insulated. The train tracks are 30 feet away through those same windows. The noise was unbelievable. This place looks like a room at the Bates Motel (and we were actually there on Halloween night). The drapes were so moth-eaten that the sun came through in many places. The bedspread and numerous decorative pillows were filthy. The room (described as "spacious" on the website had room for the king size bed and little else). They managed to stuff in a table with two hard stools (no backs). Not too comfortable for watching TV. The shower curtain looked like it came from a boy's room in the 50s.

The first morning I got out of the shower and discovered that there was no hair dryer in the room. I went to call the front desk only to find that the phone in room doesn't have a dial tone. Luckily I had a cell phone but I had to fight with them to bring it up to me. (I'm dripping wet the entire time). Both mornings the toaster in breakfast room didn't work and no one was anywhere around to assist. The tables were dirty and there were not enough cups.

I had expected from the price and the photos to have a wonderful stay on my second wedding anniversary. The second night we went into town and watched movies that got out after 11 PM so we didn't have to stay in the room. My advice, pull off the highway to this hotel. Walk through the lobby and out the back door. Look at the fantastic view and watch the waves crash. Get back in your car. Stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Choose one from another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple