“Apologies!”

Cliff House Inn on the Ocean
Ranked #1 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I am saddened to have to retract my former glowing review of this once-loved ocean-side motel, following our most recent stay there last week. We have considered Cliff House to be our favorite Pacific coast getaway for over 30 years. In spite of its down-market accommodations, the advantage of a splendid location right on the surf, its formerly excellent restaurant, and its reasonable rates have won the place many kudos from us and other guests over the years. However, our last visit (and I do mean "last") has discouraged us from ever staying there again. The management has slipped from casual to negligent; facilities that used to be kept in at least acceptable condition are now suffering from lack of any attention or upgrading. Our disappointment in the quality of the restaurant will be reviewed separately; suffice it to say we will never go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GrannieFrannie007

Reviewed June 12, 2012

the VIEW! The VIEW alone makes this hotel every bit worth the $! The restaurant has fabulous food and you can be seated outside or inside with a view! The pool was crystal clean and the trees were decorated with lights....beautiful setting AND our pictures make the pool look like it is in the ocean:) The rooms could use a little updating, but would not keep me from staying again! Aside from needing updating, the rooms were pretty clean, which is most important to me!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cindy V
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I am totally copying that headline from a previous review, but that encapsulates it well. The location is on the ocean, literally 10 feet away. No crossing the road, no peek view, its right there. Sounds of the waves crashing at night are awesome. I am told the restaurant is one of the best in the area as well-sorry I went into Santa Barbara for dinner

Rooms are 70s style motel rooms, beat up furniture-so be ready for that

The view and the thunder of the waves more than make up for it, just enjoy, Hey i'm a hotel snob-but you gotta love this place

Room Tip: all face the ocean and everyone walks past the windows of your room, so pull the curtains and don...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank WorldTravelRod
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The view, you can't beat it, especially for the price. The hotel, is OLD. It's also outdated inside the rooms. Old carpet, old tv. But...clean. Nice employees. If you have rude people staying there, like we did, you hear everything! We will go back. If you stay there, just don't expect a 4 or 5 star hotel. Its all good though, because of the view, especially while sitting at the pool. There is no access to the beach, I didn't realize that, and if there is...didn't know where it was. Dan, at the front desk, was very accommodating, we appreciated his help with our room! Didn't try the rest., went down the road to santa claus lane, to a GREAT bbq place!

Room Tip: You might want to make sure your room isn't right in front of the stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mk t
Reviewed April 11, 2012

What it lacks in immenities, is made up by the unique views & sounds of the ocean. They were able to accomodate us even at the last minute. Nice friendly staff - the food on menu was very good. We slept comfortably. I would recommend it for the view.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J L C
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I love the ocean. I sleep like a rock with the sound of the waves but who can afford ocean front and who wants to stay in one of those "plastic palaces". Its like staying at the Holiday Inn in Paris. My room has always been clean. Yes I guess it is a little shop worn but I don't spend my ocean time looking for signs of wear and tear not when I can sit on a chaise and relax with a glass of wine and listen to the ocean with a novel or just close my eyes and chill. The restaurant is fantastic and I have dined at some of the best. It is where I go to hide from everybody, and the people are nice to me but then I am nice to them.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Barbara A
Reviewed March 10, 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was apprehensive of what might lay beyond the door to the room. I was pleasantly surprised! I reserved Room 12, top floor corner and it was really pretty nice, then I opened the drapes and found a view that Four Seasons guests would be envious of, it was spectacular! It had 2 rooms, one facing the ocean and a back room that looks on to the parking lot and highway. The back room became an ice box during the night. You could've chilled a bottle of Champagne. With that kind of view I could certainly tolerate the few negatives. As other reviewers have stated, I think if possible, you should get one of the corner suites to make the most of your stay!

Room Tip: Reserve one of the top floor corner suites
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ewinebabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
10 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Cliff House Inn on the Ocean? Share your experiences!