“Fabulous Dinner Date”

Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
Ranked #72 of 425 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Anacapa St.
Camarillo, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Dinner Date”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband surprised me by taking me to Prime for our Valentine's day date. The ambiance was warm and elegant, and I didn't feel overdressed in my red cocktail dress. Our waiter, Bill, was so friendly and helpful, and paced our meal perfectly. We ordered the 4 course meal, and everything from the appetizers...bacon wrapped dates, to the salads, to the entree and side dishes were delectable! My black bourbon peppercorn prime rib was fantastic, as was my husband's new york steak. We loved the live music...very fun and romantic. The evening was perfect from beginning to end! We will definitely be returning!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank jcdiva

micmaster1
“SINGLE DINERS BEWARE - Non-Existent Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

IF YOU ARE A SINGLE DINER, DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. I've been to this place three times, and have only managed to get them to serve me one glass of wine.

On the first visit, I stood at the door for 6 minutes and was totally ignored, so I left. On the second, I stood at the door for 3 minutes, then had to wait while a party of four who came in AFTER was me seated first. Finally, after being seated, I sat at the table for 7 minutes with no service, so I left. The final time, I was seated quickly, then ignored for 4 minutes. After calling a server over, I was served a glass of wine. I waited for a server to come over and take my order for another 5 minutes, but noone came, so I left AGAIN.

BTW - These were not peak hours. In all three cases, it was just after dinner rush (8-9pm). Also....in all three cases...the staff was either: standing around, chatting with people at the bar, tapping away on their phones, or hiding in the back.

Now, before any assumptions are made: I'm an average-looking, nicely-dressed woman in her late 40's who enjoys dining solo. I've been in the restaurant & bar business for 33 years, everything from fast food to fine dining. I've been a server, a bartender, and a trainer, so you could say I'm pretty familiar with the workings of a restaurant. I'm patient and courteous to servers, and tip on average 30-40%....even more for exceptional service.

As a single diner, I'm used to being crapped on at a certain level....at least until people get to know me....but my experience at Prime was absolutely RIDICULOUS. This is a lazy, clueless staff who doesn't give a damn, and management who is either unaware of the problem, or doesn't give a damn themselves.

All I can say is, if you are dining alone, AVOID THIS PLACE. Stick to Mastro's, Lure, The Ranch House, and Zack's where they won't treat you like a leper.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank micmaster1
Pleasant Hill, California
“YUM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Super good chicken parm. HUGE portions and most of the food is served family style. Great wine list, and mixed drink selection. There deserts are amazing. Creme Brulee was probably the best I have ever had. Its easy to get a reservation, we went half an hour early and got seated right away.Only slight draw back is how loud the restaurant can get when its packed.Granted there was a work convention going on and everyone in that party was smashed, which I think was mostly the cause of the noise.

• Visited December 2013
Missoula, Montana, United States
“Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I ate at this location for years when it was Tony's and it was good until the last couple of years, then it closed. I was happy when it reopened as Prime, then thrilled when it evolved into a CLASSIC restaurant, getting better and better until it!s current 5 star status!

• Visited December 2013
Santa Monica, CA
“good, expensive, inconsistent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

sometimes the meals are wonderful, sometimes not so much.
good menu, good service, medium/expensive prices, bar has good drinks. good for a date night.

Visited May 2013