“Great Service - but is it the safest?”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, El Paso Sunland Park
Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Service - but is it the safest?”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a solo-female traveler the first thing I note about my stay in this hotel is that upon check in I was told/offered a room with two smaller beds in the building right next to the hotel lobby reserved for female guests instead of a king bed in some other building. I gladly accepted the room but this is the first time I've ever been offered a room like this. As this was my first time in El Paso and only for a quick trip, I'm not sure it's an El Paso thing or just this specific area, or just due to the lay out of the hotel. At no point in my stay did I feel unsafe but I'm very happy that it was offered and it made me feel more comfortable.

The layout of the hotel is a tight cluster of individual buildings and my room was spacious and clean except for the used towel I found behind the bathroom door. Also, on the smaller beds they have smaller pillows, I like the standard size one's you find in most rooms.

Overall I'm giving it an average rating but for customer service I'd give it 5 stars. I'm not sure why they have a building for female travelers but am very happy that they do and they thought to take this extra precaution.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ksm67e

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We came into town last weekend for the OU/UTEP football game and were pleasantly surprised at the hospitality and service. Carina allowed us to change from a double bed room to a king bed upon request. The rooms were very comfortable and cool at night. It was a little bit maze like, but we weren't going too many places, so we found our way around easily. My husband was impressed with the options in the gym area and even found a way to get his workout in! :) This hotel isn't too far from the airport and nice and convenient off I-10.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bcliles13
St. Louis
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was amazing! I almost felt like I was staying in a cool desert resort. Other hotels I have tried in the area seemed so cold and cookie cutter. This was a breath of fresh air and the friendliness of the staff was appreciated. Be back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ktravel91
Piedmont, South Carolina
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Breakfast is great, Jorge will take care of you at the bar, and the shuttle service is convenient for mall, casino, or airport trips. Request a first floor stay if you are afraid of the maze. Make sure you take advantage of the pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ciibii
China
Reviewed July 13, 2012

It's true that it's sort of maze for hotels. I stayed 5 times at this hotel. It's close to airport and most importantly, it's close to mall and outlet, which makes my weekend stay not so dull. The front desk and drivers are very nice~

Room Tip: Better choose a room near to lobby, that makes you not so easy to get lost^^
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Spring L
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed for one night on our way from Madera Canyon Az. to San Antonio and then for 2 nights on our way from San Antonio to Santa Fe. We selected this motel because of it's proximity to the freeway and indeed, access was quite easy. While not impressed with the general layout (kind of reminded me of a maze) the rooms themselves were very clean and quite adequate , the beds were quite comfortable and at no time did we feel insecure (we never leave valuables in the car). Freeway noise was not a problem (the dog barking next door could have been but was not) and we had no problem keeping the drapes closed. As mentioned in other reviews, we found a problem with the shower taps but this was quickly resolved. Access to a bar was greatly appreciated after a long drive and there are some great restaurants on the other side of the freeway (Barrigas on Sunland Park Drive is one). I have to agree with other reviewers that having internet access in the bar area is rather distracting. We did appreciate the Managers Happy Hour Thursday evening. The staff, from Liz on were fantastic. The only negative comment I can make is about the grounds. Someone needs to walk around once in a while and make sure that the odd bits of garbage are picked up.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They should train other hotels in "hospitality". Lobby was nice and updated, exercise room was spacious with good equipment, lobby bar was comfortable. The layout of the hotel is a little odd with multiple buildings and somewhat of a maze to find the stairs to the second floor and then to find your room.
The rooms appeared to have been remodeled and current. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an easy walk from the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business