“good location, good staff, needs some upgrades”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, El Paso Sunland Park
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Austinite
“good location, good staff, needs some upgrades”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We were met by an enthusiastic staff member who not only checked us in but personallyl escorted us to the new, beautiful fitness room. She also gave us the full run down on the restaurant and bar. We could see that the lobby was a great place to congregate and watch a game on TV. The feel of the place is welcoming and it is well located if you need to be on the West side of El Paso. It is very close to the Coronoado and Upper Valley. You can also make a nice day trip from here to Old Mesilla and Las Cruces. It is also reasonably close to UTEP, if that is what brings you to EP. On the negative side, the rooms have window units to provide air conditioning and heat. These are quite noisey and insure that you will never have a quiet experience in this hotel. If you shut the units completely off, you will hear the I-10 noise. What's worse is that the curtains don't close completely and the hotel has bright neon lights outside each window. All it would take to close these curtains completely is to add some magnets to the edges of the curtains and then they could be snapped tightly closed. Another problem is that the faucets--shower and sink-- do not indicate which direction is hot and cold. You would assume that left is hot and right is cold but we could not get hot water. When we called the front desk, they said that some of the faucets have been installed backwards. Even when we got the instructions -- the water took 5-6 minutes to heat up. This is ridiculous --especially when the room comes with the standard request that we not ask for daily towel changes in order to save water consumption. With these gripes included, I have tried other West side hotels and I am afraid that this is the best EP has. The owners should upgrade the facility to match the high quality of the personnel it has on site. If the rooms were as great as the staff, this place would sparkle.

Room Tip: 6205 is a split level room with an upstairs and downstairs. If you don't like stairs, avoid thi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aliceceil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
USA
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We were not in El Paso for sightseeing--instead to just visit family. We have family on both the east and west side of the city. This location was excellent for us as the HI is near I-10, easy on/easy off. It was clean, and staff members were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed February 1, 2012

My experience with Holiday in sunland park has been excellent. They are truely a home away from a home. All staffs were so great. I have a lot of time with them and get to know them personally. They tried to make your stay as comfortable as they can. Restaurant staffs, Bartender (Jorge and others ),. Chef (Roslando and others ), and Front Counter staff (Elizabeth and others), drivers, and housekeeping staffs are one of the best. I cannot complain anything about their service. I enjoy stay it at this place. Two thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: good internet connection
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel about 100 nights in the past two years. The staff is very attentive to detail, they make it a point to learn your name and habits, and are always friendly and cooperative. The rooms are very good - maid service always does a great job. The pool and hot tub are open all year round and kept in great shape. Workout facilities are top notch, room service is always prompt and the food is good.

Manager's reception on Tuesday evening is always a good time. Luis and Thelma take great care of you in the morning for a quick breakfast before work, and Jorge knows what you want to drink in the evening before you even ask. If you have any issues at all, just ask for Elizabeth. She treats all guests in a very courteous and professional manner and can accomplish any seemingly impossible to routine task with amazing efficiency.

I highly recommend this hotel - you won't be dissapointed!

Room Tip: Ask for good wireless room - some are better than others.
alamogordo
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Stayed Jan 13 and 14 2012. Room was small and bathroom very small. Carpet showed stains and did not appear clean. Bedding was clean but worn and need of replacement. Rooms are set in quads with direct street access which is not the safest. However they do allow small pets so the access makes it easier for that reason. Interstate access is great in and out about the best it can get and the place is quiet with many good facilities. The staff are exceptionally helpful, neat, and very polite. I would stay here again but 2 to 3 stars is a more honest ranking.

taos
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I travelled with a friend to get out of town. The workout facilities are great. Enjoyed the fridge and microwave in my room. Jorge remembered my name when I returned to the bar the second night. I had about four off the wall requests for the front desk and Elizabeth was able to assist me with them all!

• Stayed January 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I stopped in for a quick night of rest on a looong drive back home. We usually stay at another brand because frankly I am an employee and I get discount rates but we were tired and needed to stop. My main concerns are cleanliness, comfortable beds, safety and quiet..I didn't expect much- because it was just to be a fast in and out overnight. Well we are more than pleasantly surprised. Just upon entering the lobby Elizabeth Lopez welcomed us with such warmth she truly made me feel at home. I was assured of the comfort I was looking for, and the staff went out of their way to say hello, be courteous, offer help, and even gave us snacks and breakfast!! They called us their VIPS and boy did we feel it.I made sure to ask for names so thank you Danny Chavez and Ricky Rodriguez. The room was spacious, extra pillows were delivered, and as I am writing this my husband just stepped out of what he called an amazing shower. (sometimes you cannot get enough water flow but here was refreshing). So before we check out I felt I wanted to be sure to write the first review I ever have written to let others know how extraordinary this little gem in El Paso made us feel. Even the manager Robin Pence deserves mention as she personally checked to see that we had been well taken care of and went above and beyond for us Thank you and your staff for all the extra effort. We have signed up for your frequent stay program and hope your other locations are as welcoming and comfortable. Great night!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple