Camino Real El Paso
$47
Comfort Inn & Suites I-10 Airport(El Paso)(Great Value!)
$71
Red Roof Inn El Paso East(El Paso)(Great Value!)
$45
$145
$133
Doubletree.com
$119
$95
$90
Staybridge.com
La Quinta Inn & Suites El Paso East(El Paso)(Great Value!)
$65
$75
Groupon.com
$66
Travelocity
All reviewshistoric hoteltiffany glass domeunderground parkingan older hoteloutdoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2007

This is an old historic hotel in the heart of downtown El Paso. There are two restaurants on site with a popular bar underneath a beautiful Tiffany glass dome. We dined at the lower price restaurant where the service was spotty and the food was o.k..
The hotel room was very clean and comfortable except the bathroom was outdated and looked like it needed a good scrubbing. There was no problem with hot water at this hotel!
The beds were extremely comfortable as it was one of the best nights sleep I've had at a hotel/motel.

Parking was underground for a reasonable price of $5 per night with in/out priviledges.

Overall the staff was very courteous and fairly efficient except for the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cowboy6278
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We had never been to El Paso so we checked the web. We were amazed by the Camino Real hotel webpage, but who believes these pictures? However, the actual hotel surpassed our expectations. It is an historic hotel in a plaza with other cultural buildings (a performing arts center and a museum). The hotel is beautifully and tastefully decorated - wood, marble and a huge stained glass dome encompassing the bar. This elegant atmosphere made our margharitas taste so much better. Near the bar was a 4 diamond restaurant that was a bit too pricey for our present vacation which was to visit Big Bend and other national parks. Our rooms were spacious and decorated with furnishings unlikely to be found in an American hotel chain. Each floor was nicely decorated (we checked!). The lobby showcased artwork with huge paintings of horses, native Americans etc. done by local artists. The hotel staff was helpful and suggested restaurants even though there were two in the hotel. This stay set a nice tone for the trip. We were there for only two days and I wouldn't look any further were we to find a reason to be in the El Paso area again.

Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank vivgent
Reviewed April 10, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Camino Real over the Thanksgiving weekend. I grew up in the area and so I figured I would pick this place having been there for nice formal events. Well, I guess I'm thinking back 10 years too long because this place has gone down hill. That probably happened when the Westin company left... The rooms are very run down..furniture is beaten up...the beds are uncomfortable, the bathroom, also not great...and the place just felt filthy.

You're better off staying at a nice hotel near the airport..or stay in a budget hotel in the area that is newer and cleaner. This place needs a BIG makeover.
Oh..and don't even think about using the pool...it's really small and you won't want to sit at it..trust me.
The Dome Bar is there..it's nice but not worth it.

5  Thank Liv101
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2007

Dear Guest – It is always disappointing to read reviews where we have clearly not met our guest expectations. Unfortunately, the review was not as timely as we would like. You can see that the more recent reviews of the hotel where guest stayed recently in March and April reflect that we have COMPLETED A MAJOR RENOVATION including all carpeting, bedding, curtains and upholstery in all sleeping rooms. Our guest comment cards are being return with very pleasant messages regarding the new upgrades. I hope you have an opportunity in the future to re-experience our grand hotel.

Reviewed March 1, 2007

This hotel is a gem in El Paso! I stayed one night here, along with four colleagues - each in separate rooms, so we got a good set of examples. First, the bell staff at the front door were very courteous, even though none of us needed help with luggage. Second, the front desk staff at check-in was very friendly and helpful - even let us check in about an hour early. Third, the place is beautiful - what a great example of early 20th century architecture, inside and out.

My room was very large, with a comfortable bed and luxurious linens. The tv had a fairly good selection of cable channels. The bathroom is somewhat dated, but very functional. The lights take about two minutes to get to full brightness, but there is a little sign indicating such. Parking was underground in a safe garage and free upon filling out a comment card in the room!

All four of my colleagues had great things to say about their rooms - on various floors - as well.

There is free wireless internet, but the signal strength was inconsistent. There is a business center off the lobby where you can surf the net and print boarding passes for FREE.

I don't typically eat in hotel restaurants, so can't say anything about the food. That does lead me to the recommendation made by the front desk clerk about La Nortena, two blocks away. Excellent food, large portions, and very inexpensive. I highly recommend this place - not just TexMex, but authentic Mexican food.

There is a rooftop pool, too cold outside when I was there; fairly small, but would be better than nothing. Pretty decent exercise room.

I spend dozens of nights at hotels each year and I would definitely stay here again and recommend.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank toomuchtravel
Reviewed February 24, 2007

The Camino Real is a beautiful historic hotel in the middle of downtown El Paso that anyone with an ounce of preservationist in them will enjoy visiting. The lobby and the mezzanine are literally filled with gorgeous local art. The lovely circular bar off the lobby is topped with a magnificent Tiffany dome. And the hotel is within walking distance of the trolley to Juarez (actually, you could walk across the bridge from there) and many other downtown destinations, as well as being across the street from the art museum and the symphony, though downtown is still far from being upscale.

If you want the latest in modern rooms, however, you won't find them here. Our room was okay. The linens on the bed were very nice; the bathroom was somewhat dated. It was certainly adequate for our needs, though. We paid $98 a night for a room with two double beds through hotels.com (several other sites were about $50 higher), booked for two nights. There's a little pool on the roof (no hot tub) that wasn't heated, so we didn't get to use it as it was only in the 50s when we were there.

The first morning we had a hearty breakfast buffet in the attached restaurant, for $9-10, including Mexican dishes. No need for lunch after that! The gift shop has lovely art work.

The staff was very helpful with advice about a day trip to Juarez, for example. And when my daughter left her stuffed animals in the room after we had checked out, the staff had found and kept them for us, which we considered rather a miracle.

All in all, we spent the same amount of money to stay in a Chase Suites Hotel near the airport on our way out of town several days later, and while it was nice and new and modern, it could have been anywhere. The Camino Real has a sense of place and history that money can't buy.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank pthomas156