My boyfriend and I just completed a 2 week Southwest road trip, and on a few occasions we pulled into a town and grabbed a hotel at the last minute. We are far more into historic hotels with character than staying at your average chain, so I was pleased when I was able to pull up the Camino Real on our phone as we approached El Paso and needed a place to lay our heads for the night. We called them up and asked if there were any rooms available, and the person who answered confirmed there was for $100 a night. He was very nice and even funnier when we met him in person!!!
When we walked into the lobby, I noted that for a registered historic hotel the place didn't seem that historic, except for a few details like the grand staircase. At some point this place must have been renovated but whoever did it didn't seem too concerned with keeping the place at least somewhat in the time period. We walked around The Dome Bar and the restaurant and both were REALLY cool, and I only wish we had gotten a chance to experience both when they were open!
Anyway, our room was perfectly nice but the mattress desperately needs to be replaced. It was the worst bed on our whole trip. Within an hour of checking in our toilet backed up and we had to send up for a plunger. we tried to take care of it ourselves but that proved to be a bad idea as the toilet completely overflowed and flooded the bathroom the next morning! We called down to the front desk and asked if we could get a key to an adjoining room so we could at least use the toilet and not have to go all the way down to the lobby, but they said no. Maintenance soon came up and unclogged the toilet but we were almost ready to check out at that point.
Anyway, I would definitely consider coming back here again, especially as it seems the downtown area is really getting a makeover and I'd be interested to do some more exploring. The staff here were all very nice and I really want to have a drink in the Dome Bar sometime!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1912, our Texas landmark hotel is located in the heart of downtown El Paso, adjacent to the El Paso Convention Center and within walking distance of museums, historic San Jacinto Plaza, Downtown Entertainment and Business Districts. Guests will enjoy La Huerta Restaurant Open from 6 am until 11 pm, opened from Mon to Sunday Dome Restaurant Open from Tuesday to Saturday from 5 pm to 11 pm Pool Open from 6 am to 11 pm Gym open 24hrs Room service from 6 am until 12 am Secured underground parking Complimentary airport shuttle safe deposit box bilingual staff Business center 24Hrs Union Plaza District about 20 restaurants and bars just 5 min in walking distance Chihuahua's Baseball Stadium 1 block away Hudson Williams Convention center across the street San Jacinto Plaza only 1 block away Museum of art across the street Museum of History 2 blocks away Public Library 3 block away SunBowl Stadium 2 min drive Cincinati District with bars and restaurants next to UTEP only 5 min drive - Located in the Hearth of El Paso, a Texas Landmark part of Historic Hotels of America, with Texas Sized rooms, and a distintion in service with 357 rooms and 19 meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Camino Real El Paso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Camino Real El Paso Hotel El Paso
- Camino Real Hotel El Paso
- El Paso Camino Real