“Decent Hotel, but could be FAR better.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Camino Real El Paso

Camino Real El Paso
Ranked #69 of 83 Hotels in El Paso
Oakland, California
“Decent Hotel, but could be FAR better.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I just completed a 2 week Southwest road trip, and on a few occasions we pulled into a town and grabbed a hotel at the last minute. We are far more into historic hotels with character than staying at your average chain, so I was pleased when I was able to pull up the Camino Real on our phone as we approached El Paso and needed a place to lay our heads for the night. We called them up and asked if there were any rooms available, and the person who answered confirmed there was for $100 a night. He was very nice and even funnier when we met him in person!!!

When we walked into the lobby, I noted that for a registered historic hotel the place didn't seem that historic, except for a few details like the grand staircase. At some point this place must have been renovated but whoever did it didn't seem too concerned with keeping the place at least somewhat in the time period. We walked around The Dome Bar and the restaurant and both were REALLY cool, and I only wish we had gotten a chance to experience both when they were open!

Anyway, our room was perfectly nice but the mattress desperately needs to be replaced. It was the worst bed on our whole trip. Within an hour of checking in our toilet backed up and we had to send up for a plunger. we tried to take care of it ourselves but that proved to be a bad idea as the toilet completely overflowed and flooded the bathroom the next morning! We called down to the front desk and asked if we could get a key to an adjoining room so we could at least use the toilet and not have to go all the way down to the lobby, but they said no. Maintenance soon came up and unclogged the toilet but we were almost ready to check out at that point.

Anyway, I would definitely consider coming back here again, especially as it seems the downtown area is really getting a makeover and I'd be interested to do some more exploring. The staff here were all very nice and I really want to have a drink in the Dome Bar sometime!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We concur that our Bar featuring a custom Tiffany dome are one of our most special highlights in our Hotel and I apologize that you weren’t able to enjoy on your stay. Your feedback on the other points was shared with our team, we are working on the remodeling plan to better serve you in the upcoming years. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Why Did I Stay Here? I transferred from Amtrak to Greyhound and needed an overnight stay. Of the downtown hotels, the Camino Real, the Doubletree and Holiday Inn Express, the Camino Real was the closest to the transportation facilities. I checked Trip Advisor prior to booking and was fully aware that the reviews were mixed. But I took a chance because of the convenience factor and was well-satisfied.

The Room: I had a large room with a view of the plaza. The room was clean and well-maintained, although someone dented the wall. The room was furnished with nice period furniture. The TV located in a dresser cabinet was not a flat screen; I did not turn it on to test the quality. The room only contained one chair, that being at the desk. The spacious bathroom had nice amenities.

Dining: The hotel has an attractive upscale dining room that you enter through a beautiful domed bar. There's also a large Mexican restaurant on the premises with an early breakfast starting at 6 AM; lunch and dinner are also served. A Starbucks and the Anson Eleven restaurant are located a few steps from the hotel. I ate dinner at Anson Eleven and was satisfied. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as my bus departure was early.

Stupid or Duped? I planned calling the hotel directly to book a reservation. I did a web search for the hotel site and dialed the number. I soon became aware that I wasn't conversing directly with the hotel; I assumed it was the chain's central reservations. When I got my e-mail confirmation, I was surprised it was from Expedia; I thought perhaps (wrongly) that Expedia was handling their reservations. I got my credit card bill before leaving on the trip. To my surprise I was billed in advance for the room. Not sure if I was duped or stupid from the get-go. However, I had no problem with my reservation upon checking in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words and nice review. We are glad to read that your stay was up to par and that you enjoyed our Texas size rooms. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the near future, and that you get a chance to try our great breakfast or lunch buffet at La Huerta Restaurant.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First, the bad news: When we checked in, the room we had reserved (Deluxe King) was not available. Now the good news: the manager handled the problem well, upgrading us to a junior suite. And finally, and unfortunately, more bad news: Our suite was very dated--24 inch old (not flat screen) televisions, worn and stained carpet, and furniture that was at least 20 or 30 years old. The carpet had not been vacuumed as we found peanuts on the floor in the bedroom. The drains in the bathtub and the bathroom sink were rusty. All-in-all, just a rather depressing room. This property needs a lot of attention.

In fairness I must mention that the public spaces are quite nice and the Tiffany dome over the bar is worth seeing. We did not try the dining room but it is a beautiful space.

The staff at the front desk were well-meaning and pleasant but it took us forever to check in and check out. A lot of time was spent just staring blankly at computer screens.

Travelers should also be aware that the downtown area where the hotel is located is quite dead--construction projects halted, vacant store fronts, and deserted streets at night.

All-in-all, I would not stay here again. There is a very nice Doubletree property very close by if you want to stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Not worth staying at. Water issues and the rooms need updated. I burn myself trying to take a shower ( no cold water just hot). Choose another place. Tvs in the room are old and need updated. So much left to desire.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Troop1213
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place is out dated and smells like there were in a flood and didn't feel like putting in new carpet or cleaning the place. The staff is unfriendly and completely incompetent. We were there to work a show but that never happened after the idiotic behavior we decided to just move on. This place makes a budget motel seem like a fancy hotel. Don't waste your money or time. We live in el paso and were going to stay the night to treat ourselves but that would of been more like punishing ourselves. Just pass right on by the Camino real hotel there is nothing worthwhile there at all.

• Stayed September 2013
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Camino Real is one of the very few decent options to stay in El Paso. We stayed during renovations and thought that the rooms were a bit pricey for what they were but all in all is a decent place. It is clean, the restaurant is good and location wise it's the best. Make sure to take some time to visit the Dome Bar and have a drink there.

Room Tip: We got a suite that looked over Juarez that was amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us a review. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you enjoyed your stay and had time to visit our Tiffany Dome Bar.

We hope to see you back soon!

Always at your service.

Enrique De la Cueva
Roswell, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. It is an old hotel, built in 1912, but that is part of the charm. Kind of reminded me of an old horror movie.....which was not a bad thing. It has an historic charm that you can't get at the newer places. True, the TV is old (approx. 25in. tube) but the furniture looked original.....which again added to the charm. We did not have any problems with the staff at all. In fact they even offered to leave the pool open longer for us. Overall, I would definitely stay again. It was anything but a ghost town while we were there. In fact, there was a live band across the way in an open plaza which was free and had chairs and room for dancing. It's also right across the street from the Civic Center. We didn't go to it but from our room it looked like maybe a rooftop restaurant next to the plaza and concerts in between there and a Starbucks. In this case, you're paying for the experience and not luxury. One more thing, the pool is outdoors on the 10th floor and not heated.

Room Tip: A new wing was added in 1986, maybe those rooms are more modern. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and want to let you know that we are currently working on upgrading our TV system, as well as improving different areas or our hotel also the El Paso downtown area is going thru a remodeling phase and we would like to invite you to come back later and experience the new and exciting El Paso downtown.
We are glad that you enjoy the history that is within our Hotel and hope to see you back soon.

Always at your service.