We had never been to the Camino Real before, but had heard so much about the beautiful Dome Bar and wanted to have a pre-party drink there on New Year's Eve. The hotel is within walking distance to the El Paso Club on the top floor of the Chase Building, where we had reservations for a dance/dinner party. I had read TripAdvisor reports that the rooms were a run down, but we booked anyway and were delighted that other critiques were not what we experienced.
The room was large and well-appointed with nice bed linens, plush pillows and comfy mattress. There was a little ante room before entering the bedroom, which made it feel even larger and special. The antique-looking amoire was a nice touch. The bathroom was also large and clean and well lit. The hallways were wide and well lit with attractive carpeting. It was a corner room with windows providing views of the architecturally sculptured art museum on one side, and the other window overlooked the broad expanse of El Paso.
What could have been better: 1) Our drink in the lovely, lovely, lovely Dome Bar was well-served, but the room was so cold that patrons, including us, were forced to wear coats. 2) Check-in was remiss - first, they didn't give us a parking pass and we had to wait in a long line to get one; second, they didn't give us a breakfast pass and we had to go to the desk the next morning to get it. The check-in line was long and the clerk was probably trying to be efficient, but it was inconvenient to go back and get the passes he should have taken care of at check in. 3) The room was under lit. There was one night stand with one lamp. There wasn't even a lamp by the side chair, nor a ceiling light. 4) There was only one facecloth in the bathroom. 5) There was a desk/table in the room, but no plug-in nearby. The only place to sit to put on makeup was at the ante room table where there was a plug-in for a makeup mirror. 5) Breakfast was only adequate: There were scrambled eggs and greasy meats, sugary danishes, and only one kind of juice - apple. The cut fruits were watery and tasteless, and we waited far too long for coffee (the morning after New Year's!!!). There were no English muffins, breads for toasting, bananas, yogurts, nor oatmeal.
Would we go back? Probably, because it's so conveniently located, and now we know what to expect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1912, our Texas landmark hotel is located in the heart of downtown El Paso, adjacent to the El Paso Convention Center and within walking distance of museums, historic San Jacinto Plaza, Downtown Entertainment and Business Districts. Guests will enjoy La Huerta Restaurant Open from 6 am until 11 pm, opened from Mon to Sunday Dome Restaurant Open from Tuesday to Saturday from 5 pm to 11 pm Pool Open from 6 am to 11 pm Gym open 24hrs Room service from 6 am until 12 am Secured underground parking Complimentary airport shuttle safe deposit box bilingual staff Business center 24Hrs Union Plaza District about 20 restaurants and bars just 5 min in walking distance Chihuahua's Baseball Stadium 1 block away Hudson Williams Convention center across the street San Jacinto Plaza only 1 block away Museum of art across the street Museum of History 2 blocks away Public Library 3 block away SunBowl Stadium 2 min drive Cincinati District with bars and restaurants next to UTEP only 5 min drive - Located in the Hearth of El Paso, a Texas Landmark part of Historic Hotels of America, with Texas Sized rooms, and a distintion in service with 357 rooms and 19 meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Camino Real El Paso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Camino Real El Paso Hotel El Paso
- Camino Real Hotel El Paso
- El Paso Camino Real