“Good Place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good Place”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The bagles are FRESH and very taisty. The staf is frendly and helpful. The bagles have always satisfied for the taste.

Visited November 2012

“Pre-parade Perfect!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

On Saturday, 07APR2012, I was up by (04:15) preparing for my first-ever participation in the Nor'Easter Parade, and, as I had done in the Eastside Parade, I was pedaling as an advocate for bicycle safety. I had spent the previous afternoon constructing a rig that would hold my sign ["BICYCLE SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT!"] which would occupy the passenger seat of my Doublevision, and felt ready for the 50-mile(80km) round trip when I pedaled from the Eastside to the Northeast section of El PasoTX-USA. Even though it was Saturday and I knew traffic was going to be less, I still sought to get across a dangerous, 6-lane divided connector road between Montana Boulevard and Spur601/Liberty Expressway. It is a hazardous 3-mile(5km) stretch named "Global Reach", a city-owned road that is one of the worst in El Paso: no cutcurb sidewalks, no signage indicating the presence of alternative vehicles (specifically bicycles), and a vital route to access the ever-growing Ft. Bliss East/Biggs Field (aka Pentagon West). Which is the reason for my early rise--I wanted, NEEDED, to pass the Transit of Terror before too many soldiers were motoring in a mad dash to make it to muster and failing to realized that the dazzling array of red lights in front of them were not moving nearly as fast as they were. Insufficient following distance could mean a collision between their motor vehicle and my HPV, almost always with disastrous results!
Anyway, I once again survived Global Reach, and pedaled on one of the BEST cycling routes in El Paso, Spur 601/Liberty Expressway, the joined Purple Heart Memorial Highway/Loop 375, another outstanding cycle route here, and soon was sitting with Edgar, owner of The Bagel Shop, hidden in the Rushfair Shopping Center, between Trans-Mountain/Woodrow Bean, Rushing Drive, and Fairbanks Drive.
I had been dreaming about this wonderful breakfast nook ever since my last visit, which was during my short 4-day Thanksgiving biketour (Irene's Pedal, my annual bike ride memorial to the wife of a good friend; she had succumbed to the ravages of Breast Cancer) to Old Mesilla to Deming to Columbus back home. I think The Bagel Shop has gotten BETTER, although it is hard to improve something already fantastic!
What probably made the difference was that I had been coffee-free for about a month, although I still consumed ample caffeine in my daily teas, and now I wasn't just falling off the coffee bean truck, I was JUMPING off! If you like coffee, this is the place: I also ensured my calcium intake was adequate--among others, the real cream+dark roast just couldn't be better! And I needed all the energy I could get because I still had to return home later after pedaling in the Nor'Easter Parade!
Of course, coffee is not the only attractant to this superb eatery--I enjoyed a bagel omelet, too, and was sorely tempted to make many more tasty fresh bagel purchases. However, when pedaling, food tends to get processed quickly; hence, more food, more digestion, more--you get the idea. I'm very pleased to report that the bathrooms, like the rest of this homey stop, are super clean and well stocked.
Anybody who travels knows that no matter how great a restaurant (anything!) is supposed to be, it will never live up to that expectation unless the staff are capable, considerate, competent, and caring. This is the most important aspect of The Bagel Shop. Besides owner Edgar, I recognized several of the staff and was especially glad to see Marky (who served me while I rested in an easy chair studying my Doublevision through the large front window.)still employed. He is an extremely pleasant part-timer and full-time student with the goal of becoming a Veterinarian. I encouraged him to stay with The Bagel Shop as long as possible, which supports him with employment but more importantly, a good work ethic because he is surrounded by personnel who have it also. That, my fellow travellers, is what any establishment needs; in fact, it is what the World needs!
Reluctantly, I had to leave after two hours of eating, drinking, recuperating as the outstanding Nor'Easter Parade was going to start at (10:00) whether I was there or not, and I still had a short distance to pedal. I've written a high recommendation for TripAdvisor about this annual event, should you ever be inclined to attending.
I highly recommend this superb eatery to anybody, even if in a rush. Take a few extra minutes, relax in an easy chair or booth, drink coffee, eat bagels, absorb the ambiance, scents, and sounds. Or, if you have to, get it to go or even have it catered! This is one place where you'll always want to return! I guarantee it!

• Visited April 2012
“Bagelicious!”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I was in need of a healthy lunch to cap-off my successful morning of employer visiting and job developing and chose a one-of-kind shop in NorthEast El Paso, The Bagel Shop. The whole wheat Rueben was very modestly priced at just over $6--, no drink. Then I was given Friday's education employee 10% discount. I was allowed to bring in my own drink (water), and spent a pleasurable lunch for less than $7--(including tax & tip) eating in the very comfortable booth. Or I could have sat on the couch, playing chess/checkers/cards or reading while munching. The dill pickle was crisp & fresh, and the bagel chips were delicious, too. It is no wonder that this is one of my favorite places to stop whenever I bicycle this way or treat the pollworkers to great coffee on election day! I highly recommend this warm & friendly cafe from early morning till closing at 2pm!

• Visited October 2011
Chandler, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great bagels, bad espresso”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I read about The Bagel Shop on a food forum, and decided to try it. It was busy on a Saturday morning, but service was prompt and friendly. My garlic bagel was delicious. The "veggie" cream cheese they gave me was cream cheese with a few sun-dried tomatoes mixed in. We tried some blueberry bagel bites, which were also very good. The menu listed drip coffee, as well as some cafe drinks. I ordered a double latte. I wouldn't recommend it, but since they are not known as a specialty coffee shop, I won't really hold it against them. They have a wide variety of bagels, and I intend to become a returning customer.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Marlena and her family have a great bagel shop, fresh baked, great assortment, friendly people”
Reviewed July 29, 2008