“Southwestern shopping”

El Paso Saddleblanket
Ranked #26 of 96 things to do in El Paso
More attraction details
Owner description: The El Paso Saddleblanket Retail Outlet is No Longer Open to the Public. In order to enter our showroom you must present proof of business. El Paso Saddleblanket Company is the World's Largest Southwest Trading Post The wholesale showroom touts one of the widest selections of Southwest and Western crafts in the world, overflowing with Southwest rugs, blankets, turquoise jewelry, Mexico pottery, western purses, Brazilian cowhides, bedspreads, hand-painted artifacts, mounted horns, handwoven baskets, serapes, and much more! Founded by Dusty & Bonnie Henson, they have spent more than 44 years of traveling the globe-trading, buying, manufacturing, wholesaling and designing the best selection of Southwest products available anywhere.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Cool place for shopping or to just look around. Great for gifts and knick knacks. Many cool rugs if looking for a new rug. Something for everyone in the family.

1  Thank davidfm

Reviewed April 7, 2013

El Paso Saddleblanket has merchandise that range from chic to cheap! On our last visit I noticed the same things I saw the year before,nothing different,nothing exciting. I'll admit that in the past they had some great stuff, (southwest rugs,pottery,furniture,etc..) but now...not much, maybe for first time visitors it will be a different experience but for me it just didn't cut it...

1  Thank TexasBailey
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a great time stopping by. Too much to look at, not enough time. Huge selection of Mexican and Southwestern crafts. There was a gentleman there from a local tribe, hand painting pottery. One of our group purchased one of his pieces and received a certificate of authenticity. Some awesome rustic furniture. When I finally get my Hill Country place, I'm checking out what they have first!!

Noticed the "Pets are always welcome" sign when we first walked in. Then noticed assorted customers who took the, up on their invite, THEN noticed the Humane Society was holding an adoption event! Smaller dogs inside, big dogs outside. Cleanest kennels I've ever see. Left them a substantial tip. Apparently, this happens every Saturday. Kudos to the owners!!

My only heartburn is with the shipping cost. Saw an AWESOME standing mirror, was willing to have it shipped. Price they quoted was MORE THAN HALF the cost of the mirror! Thanks, but no thanks. Also, our group decided to pool our purchases and ship home in one package. Clerk was: 1. unable to ring them up separately (did finally get her to subtotal), 2. totalled at least one order incorrectly (used a calculator), 3. very slow. Not sure how they calculated shipping, but $50 for our grouping seemed expensive. At least we didn't have to carry them or deal with TSA.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

this place is great. You can get zapotec (purportedly...) rugs for very good prices, although you may have to dig through the stack a bit to make sure you find one that lies flat properly. I like the blankets and table runners etc. too. Everything is well marked so you know if you're getting a chinese knock-off vs. something actually from Mexico or points south. to me it is well worth a visit when in town.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hearing about this place all the time, and seeing their advertising constantly the hype was piled high for this place. Going into their store for the first time is really impressive, there's not a lot of stores that sell Southwestern decor in El Paso actually. The tack and saddle section was pretty legit, and the guy selling things in that section assured me all of their stuff was local made and of good quality. Which I'd have to agree was impressive as was the price! The boots were also quite beautiful and so I got a pair for my girlfriend. That being said, I was very put off by all the blankets/hats/pottery/and other random items made not in the Southwest but in India or Pakistan. Who wants to spend good money on imitation cultural items? You're a store in El Paso, Texas, next to New Mexico and Chichuahua, and a short drive from Arizona! There's no excuse for having imported artificial southwestern trinkets in your store...then again if that's what people buy, and they're making money....meh.

1  Thank James P