“Management Ruined Our Stay”

Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Upon checking into our room my daughter and I discussed how we couldn't wait to get in the hot-tub.The attendant heard our conversation but failed to notify us that the hot-tub was closed for maintenance. We decided to go for a swim and when we reached the pool area we saw the sign that read " Pool closed for Maintenance" I went upfront to ask the attendant if the pool would re-open over the weekend? She told me no, so I tell her we will just have to do with the hot-tub. Then she tells me the hot-tub is also closed. I told her she should have told us upon check in, especially after listening to our conversation about the hot-tub. The following day I asked for a discount for the inconvenience and failure to notify us of the problem. The attendant called the manager on her cell phone, but refused to give us a discount and said the problem was out of her control. The hotel was Ok overall but when a Manager has no management skills it can really affect the Hotels Reputation.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandie83
Jerome H, General Manager at Holiday Inn El Paso Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2015

Dear Guest,

This review was from 5 years ago. Since that time we have undergone an extensive hotel property renovation and are now a Full Service Holiday Inn Hotel known for providing our guest with exceptional service, clean rooms, well maintained amenities and a first class onsite restaurant named Burger Theory. We would love to have you come back to see our changes and give us another opportunity to serve you with excellence!

Reviewed February 14, 2010

I passed through El Paso and stayed at this hotel overnight. It was a wonderful stay. The room was large and clean, the employees were very helpful in assisting me with unloading my luggage from the car and taking it to the room, and they were very pet-friendly. My dog is well behaved and doesn't shed, but he's still 45 lbs so it's tough to find a place that is nice and won't charge you $150 to bring a dog along. I enjoyed my stay much more than I thought possible and I will definitely stay there again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank WMS-SD

Reviewed September 3, 2009

It was slightly difficult to find when exiting the freeway (headed West on 10). I wish there was a larger sign that could be seen from the street. We had a fast check-in and were able to get a room on the ground floor. The rooms were great! We loved the swivel LG flat screen tv, the vaulted ceilings and separate desk space. Plus, free wi-fi was nice. There was also a full length mirror that was well appreciated.
The bathroom was slightly dirty (the far corner of floor underneath the sink - hey I notice such things) The shower head was awkward to work but the water pressure was great and water was more than hot. I had it a touch above the cold symbol and it was hot like I like it.
We decided to eat at the restaurant in the parking lot next to the hotel - which was okay. The mattress was misleading because by the time we laid down I could feel the springs in the mattress. They should have sprung for better mattresses.
The worst part had nothing to do with the hotel itself but with the people next door with their small child. I guess this child was throwing tantrums but we could totally hear it in our room around 9:30. Why this child wasn't sleep yet? I don't know. We managed to fall asleep only to be woken up by the dad calling the child's name and sounding pretty creepy in the process.
At any rate, we left too early to partake in the free breakfast. I did grab a copy of USA today for the car ride. The price was a little steep than we're used to. But since the hotel was new and well kept I suppose it was worth it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erecia

Dear Guest,

This review was from 6 years ago. Since that time we have undergone an extensive hotel property renovation and are now a Full Service Holiday Inn Hotel known for providing our guest with exceptional service, clean rooms, well maintained amenities and a first class onsite restaurant named Burger Theory. We would love to have you come back to see our changes and give us another opportunity to serve you with excellence!

Reviewed February 26, 2009

The Wingate was one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been in. The staff was very friendly, the breakfast was perfect with an warm station, coffee, juice, cold cereal, pasties, waffle maker etc. The rooms were very clean, not a spot to be found! I was very impressed. I even saw someone wiping down the elevator in the evening.

We enjoyed the hot tub, but it was too cool for the pool. That's the only downside, if you are looking for a hotel where you can relax by the pool, this is not the place. It's fairly small and doesn't get much sun throughout the day. That is the only thing I could find that I wish was different.

Beds were comfy and I loved access to high speed internet.

I highly reccommend it. There's also a nice shopping mall close by.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank addsomebling

Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is the BEST business hotel in El Paso! From the flat screen TV, to the great bed, to the roomy chair and desk space, it is a great deal in a very pricey hotel city. The breakfast is nice and the location (close to I-10) makes it easy to get everywhere. HIGHLY recommend.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank InterNate1980

Dear Guest,

This review was from 7 years ago. Since that time we have undergone an extensive hotel property renovation and are now a Full Service Holiday Inn Hotel known for providing our guest with exceptional service, clean rooms, well maintained amenities and a first class onsite restaurant named Burger Theory. We would love to have you come back to see our changes and give us another opportunity to serve you with excellence!

Reviewed September 24, 2008

Let me start by saying the property is decent, it was the staff that made it awful. Very strange goings on. I was moving across country and this hotel seemed like the best option. When calling them from the road, they quoted me a rate of $79.00 plus taxes. I was about 1 hour away from El Paso. I held it tentatively and wanted to explore other options so I contacted a friend on the phone and he found the same hotel for the rate of $59.00 on line through their website. Now, I called back the hotel and they stated that we should book it online since it was less expensive. We did that.

I use Wyndham a lot and sometimes get upgraded. When we checked in, the woman at the front desk told me that she would give us the room we booked with two double beds. I just asked very politely if there were any upgrades available. She seemed perplexed by my question. She actually stated that "We were the last ones to get a double bedded room and would not be upgraded." When we saw the people after us check in, they were upgraded to a suite since they needed two double beds.

I asked the front desk person (who was clueless) why they got upgraded and she responded that they had no more rooms with two double beds. Come on, it would have been common sense to give a frequent guest the upgrade instead of a non-frequent guest. I asked if I could speak with the MOD (even though I was very tired).

There was no MOD and then she stated that she had no authority. She then actually contacted the hotel manager! She then stated that the hotel manager had an emergency and would not be able to call back.

This was all very bizarre.

The room was OK (average) but the situation and the lack of communication and bad staff manners was inexcusable. I would opt to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn or another comparable hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank traveler4k

Reviewed September 8, 2008

Rooms were comfortable and clean. Service desk personnel were helpful and friendly.
Shuttle driver gave us very poor service to the airport. She pulled over as soon as she got to the terminal building. When I grabbed my suitcase to leave I looked up and saw that our airline gate was down on the other end of the terminal. I pointed and said "Our airline is way down there." She said, “I don’t know”, walked away and got in the shuttle to leave. At that point I realized she never asked which airline we were on. As a matter of fact she never said one word to us until the “I don’t know.” I was particularly upset because on this trip I had to use a suitcase that needed to be carried with no wheels. Carrying 50 pounds that far was a back breaker and it was so unnecessary.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple