“Very strange practices”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Beverly Hills, California
“Very strange practices”
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Let me start by saying the property is decent, it was the staff that made it awful. Very strange goings on. I was moving across country and this hotel seemed like the best option. When calling them from the road, they quoted me a rate of $79.00 plus taxes. I was about 1 hour away from El Paso. I held it tentatively and wanted to explore other options so I contacted a friend on the phone and he found the same hotel for the rate of $59.00 on line through their website. Now, I called back the hotel and they stated that we should book it online since it was less expensive. We did that.

I use Wyndham a lot and sometimes get upgraded. When we checked in, the woman at the front desk told me that she would give us the room we booked with two double beds. I just asked very politely if there were any upgrades available. She seemed perplexed by my question. She actually stated that "We were the last ones to get a double bedded room and would not be upgraded." When we saw the people after us check in, they were upgraded to a suite since they needed two double beds.

I asked the front desk person (who was clueless) why they got upgraded and she responded that they had no more rooms with two double beds. Come on, it would have been common sense to give a frequent guest the upgrade instead of a non-frequent guest. I asked if I could speak with the MOD (even though I was very tired).

There was no MOD and then she stated that she had no authority. She then actually contacted the hotel manager! She then stated that the hotel manager had an emergency and would not be able to call back.

This was all very bizarre.

The room was OK (average) but the situation and the lack of communication and bad staff manners was inexcusable. I would opt to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn or another comparable hotel.

• Liked — The flat screen TV
  • Disliked — No Bravo TV or other premium free channels
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveler4k
Jerome H, General Manager at Holiday Inn El Paso Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2015
Dear Guest,

This review was from 7 years ago. Since that time we have undergone an extensive hotel property renovation and are now a Full Service Holiday Inn Hotel known for providing our guest with exceptional service, clean rooms, well maintained amenities and a first class onsite restaurant named Burger Theory. We would love to have you come back to see our changes and give us another opportunity to serve you with excellence!

915-772-4088

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Rooms were comfortable and clean. Service desk personnel were helpful and friendly.
Shuttle driver gave us very poor service to the airport. She pulled over as soon as she got to the terminal building. When I grabbed my suitcase to leave I looked up and saw that our airline gate was down on the other end of the terminal. I pointed and said "Our airline is way down there." She said, “I don’t know”, walked away and got in the shuttle to leave. At that point I realized she never asked which airline we were on. As a matter of fact she never said one word to us until the “I don’t know.” I was particularly upset because on this trip I had to use a suitcase that needed to be carried with no wheels. Carrying 50 pounds that far was a back breaker and it was so unnecessary.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Shuttle service to airport
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Washington, DC
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I found the hotel to be a nice and comfortable place to stay, although there were renovations underway that had taken some of the water areas out of commission. I think I would have returned except that there was a quartet of feral cats that decided to form a choir group each night around 2 AM and continue their artistic works until about 6 AM, so sleep was impossible. I still hear them a month later! If you stay here, go for an upstairs, outside (away from the courtyard/pool area) room so you don't suffer this problem . . . or bring a slingshot and/or some water balloons. The hotel is nice . . . the cats are a problem.

• Liked — Old, but somewhat luxurious. Was a nice facility.
  • Disliked — Some things still needed maintenance badly (sliding glass door); singing feral cats were awful!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Signals5K

El Paso, TX
Reviewed March 27, 2008

My daughter and I had wanted a weekend get-away for a long time. I had been researching many hotel reviews online for weeks and was skeptical about staying at many. I wanted us to enjoy our stay without paying too much, but also not pay for a cheap place and get a terrible stay. I would call all the hotels and speak to them directly but so many were short with me, gave me too brief or too quickly replys (trying to get me off the phone). I didn't want to stay in a place that would treat me not important over the phone - that would just mean I'd be treated the same if I was there! I called Wingate directly and the gentleman on the phone took time to talk with me, didn't rush me off the phone, and was very pleasant. We decided Wingate and we absolutely loved it! We stayed in a large room with two QUEEN SIZED beds, had a microwave, fridge, HD TV, large work desk, and great size bathroom. The breakfast was fantastick, too! Warm waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, omlets, cereals, muffins, and so much more! There was a large dining area for us to eat in so there was plenty of room. There was always a new El Paso Times there for us to read daily, we enjoyed to spa and swimming pool everyday. There is also a laundry room where guests can wash their own clothes, or they can ask room service to have it done. There is also a business center, but we didn't use it. It was large with computers, work area, and a copy machine. They have large conference rooms as well. Our beds were so comfortable and we had a great night sleep every night. I loved our stay so much that when we travel to SC twice this summer I am booking our stay at Wingate. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting or just wanting a get-away here in El Paso. It was everything I was looking for in a hotel stay: indoor room access, heated pool, spa, FREE WIFI, free HOT breakfast, large rooms and large beds. The staff was very nice and made our stay even better.

• Liked — Free WIFI, free hot breakfast, two queen beds, quiet & relaxing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family

Arizona
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Second time staying at the Wingate on business.
Big spacious rooms, very clean, comfortable beds, free business center, free local calls, free wireless internet. Hot Breakfast...bacon, sausage, omeletes., waffles......

Fitness center is open.....staff is very helpful....

Flat panel HD TV...

Convenient Location. I will definitely return!

Better than most of the business hotels in El Paso!

• Liked — cleanliness and amenities
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business

Chihuahua
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We stayed at this Hotel because we wanted to relax and rest among life's busy activities. The hotel is advertised having a heated indoor swimming pool and spa. The pool turned out to be OUTDOOR. So we figured we'd enjoy the spa, but then it was closed! Because it needed to be cleaned (They said it would be open NEXT WEEK). Hot continental breakfast - after heating it in the microwave.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

This review is from 7 years ago. Since that time, We have undergone an extensive renovation and are now a full service Holiday Inn Hotel known for exceptional service!

Warm Regards