“Excellent hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University
Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Excellent staff, great location, friendly staff I stayed for 5 days and had extremely pleasant stay: quiet place, helpful people, nice hotel. Close to El Paso center and to all university facilities + close to very dense restaurants and cafes area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great hotel! Great Staff! Amazing cookies every night, delish! Super close to the University which is very important as my son lives in the dorm facility! Great location! Good food! Nice pool! Great exercise facility, treadmills are brand new, elliptical, weights available with tv monitors. I needed to do a load of laundry, very clean machines!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have never been to El Paso and I was excited to come to town and see my favorite band that was playing 4 blocks from the Hotel. I will give this Hotel 1 extra star for that. That's pretty much all they had going for them....

I had been looking online for prices for a couple days before I bought the room. I figure they would sell the hotel out because of the show. The price was $159 I didn't get my hotel room that night. I check again the next day it jumps to $259 at night. I thought ok well I have to get this before they sell out.

The day I checked in I had been driving over night about 11 hours to El Paso. After working a full day before that. So you can figure I was extremely tired! I tried to check in early nothing. I went back about 3 hours later. I check in. The receptionist mentions they have rooms for $159 a night. I said I have a reservation. We talk about the price because why would I pay $304 when I can pay $204. Wouldn't you want to pay less? Which I just now saw on "Hilton garden inn" website says best price guarantee!!! I was so tired I just thought I would deal with it later. The receptionist said I will see what I can do. It was really disappointing to see they wouldn't help me. I am also in the service industry. I would have honored something like this if it was me and I am a small business owner not some HUGE corporate hotel!

They gave me a disabled room which I am not in a wheelchair. That's fine with me. The room was NOT worth $304 with taxes and resort fees. I felt like I was rapped. I could pay 300$ for a uber sexy boutique for a night. But no I got stuck with a crappy room in El Paso. Again the room was not worth the money I paid for a night and a Thursday night in that fact!

All and all they give me the run around and nothing was solved in this situation. I will never stay there again. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone and goodbye my not so well spent three hundred dollars.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anneliesethepinup
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Anneliesthepinup - First of all, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience with us. I apologize to hear you did not have a positive stay. Our computer system does reflect an "Accessible Suite" was chosen when the reservation was made online. We always make a concerted effort to give our guests the services and amenities requested. I am sorry this was not your intentions. We do appreciate your feedback as it will help us to better our property for the future.
Best Regards
Michelle Kaip

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Location is perfect as you can walk to many good restaurants. Fitness center is good with treadmills and elipticals and free weights. Breakfast at restaurant is full service and good and free! Shuttle service has limited times.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Like all Hilton properties, this hotel was clean and maintained to the standard expected for the brand. I did have several issues which did come up during the stay, and I hope that they are not indicative of how things normally go at this location.

1. There was no regular coffee in the room. I had thought that this might have been just an oversight of housekeeping, so I found one of the housekeepers in the hallway in the morning, and she informed me (very politely) that the hotel has been out of regular coffee for almost two weeks, so all I could do is go down to the lobby. Disappointing.

2. The ice machine on the 5th floor was not working. Had to travel down to the 4th floor for ice. Not a big deal, but an inconvenience to have to go hunting for ice at night. Had the refrigerator not have been turned up so high, this wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. Another disappointment.

3. Coffee in the lobby was hot and fresh, but the problem was that there were no cups stocked on the counter. I waited a few minutes to see if there would be some brought out, but that didn't happen. I ended up doubling up some cold cups to carry it back to my room, but burned my hand since the plastic melted on the inside cup. With no coffee in the room, I probably should have brought down the carafe, but I really thought there were going to be disposable cups down in the lobby. Again, disappointed.

4. Housekeeping missed my room twice. I did have the DND sign on the door until around 11 AM, but left all afternoon to return to an unmade room. The other day, the sign was up until around noon, and similarly, I was gone all afternoon. The first day, there were still two housekeepers working the floor when I left, and the other day there was one. Did I need to call the front desk to have them service the room? Not typical of Hilton in that regard. Disappointing.

5. Room service was not very good. The kitchen was out of french fries? Surprising. The other food was just terrible. Very soggy and cold in some parts. That did not get eaten, and we did call downstairs to complain about how bad it was. My wife called, and she was told, "I'll have to get the manager for this," and somewhat abruptly hung up. The manager did call back in about 10 minutes or so, and he was friendly and apologetic for the poor quality. That was adjusted accordingly. It's just disappointing that a $30 meal wasn't great in the first place, and running out of a food item as common as french fries is very disappointing (even more so is the running out of coffee as mentioned earlier).

6. The television acted up intermittently throughout the stay - kept getting some Host Disconnected error on the screen, and it wouldn't pull up a menu or allow you to change channels. Not a big deal, but again, disappointing.

7. Everyone tends to take issue with bed comfort, but I have never written negatively about a mattress until now. The bed was unbelievably uncomfortable, like sleeping on a stack of folded up sheets. Inconsistent sleep surface with underlying firmness that feels like sleeping on concrete. Had to take ibuprofen in the morning to relieve the backaches. Very atypical of Hilton properties. Obviously, getting a bad night's sleep is really disappointing.

WiFi was good, and the staff seemed courteous and friendly overall, but with so many disappointments, I'm not sure that I would choose this location again. As a HHonors Silver member (who is on track to be a Gold member soon with more travel on the horizon), I hope I made a good choice of brand.

For the El Paso area, this room is relatively expensive compared to others, but it is located right next to UTEP, so I guess there's really a premium for that. I was just very disappointed in the stay overall. For nearly $500 for three nights, I feel like it was way too much for the lack of quality and attention to detail throughout my stay. I would have stayed at a different location and drove in for business had I have known what the premium location would entail.

2  Thank AZ4JZ
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Guest - First of all, thank you for taking the time to leave comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the services and amenities at our property. We always want to exceed our guest's expectations and it is disappointing that we did not during your recent trip. I have addressed your concerns with my housekeeping, maintenance and food & beverage departments.

We have recently converted to the new Kuerig coffee machines and should always be stocked with great coffee.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us another chance and stay with us again!
Best Regards
Michelle Kaip

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Located adjacent to all the attractions... easy access to the the freeway... right next to utep... hospital... and several eateries....

the hotel staff was friendly and courteous... Breakfast was great... parking was good... hotel was very clean and exceptionally quite

I will definitely stay here again

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Good hotel, business center was hard to use. everything else was great. Rooms were clean and up to date. free internet and friendly staff. Now I am writing stupid stuff to fill up the stupid 200 charecter minimum for this stupid survey. I prefer to be concise and to the point but no, thats not allowed. How stupid. Did I mention this is stupid. trip advisor is so stupid. Hotel was great though.