“Friendly staff”

Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed in April and had a great stay. The staff went out of their way to help me navigate in El Paso. The rooms are clean and modern. The restaurant had great food and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed there on a business trip and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The King-sized bed was soft and comfy with an adjustable mattress so you could choose the firmness or softness of your liking. Not an abundance of cable channels, but was an acceptable mix of local stations, sports, and entertainment (Bravo & Food Network are usually all I require anyway). There was a problem with the water heater one morning which resulted in a cold shower, but considering it was 104 outside, it wasn't terrible. Towels were soft and comfy, and room was cleaned every morning, with Bath & Body Works shampoo, conditioner and lotion and Neutrogena soap and mouthwash. Rooms come equipt with mini-fridges, microwaves, complimentary coffee (which I heard wasn't good at all) and tea, as well as your usual iron & ironing board. The wifi was complimentary and I never had a problem with connection or speed; there was also an ethernet port in the room for those without wifi-enabled computers. The breakfast was not included in the room stay, and was $11.99 for the buffet, which even with the daily stipend I received for meals from my company was too high for me, though the complimentary home made cookies were to die for.. Hot, soft and chewy, the macadamia nut and white chocolate ones were my favorite! The staff was courteous and prompt, and I experienced no problems at all. Now, would I pay $121 on my own to stay there for a vacation? I can't say that I would, but neither would I be going to El Paso on vacation, so there's that. If you are going to the Sun Bowl, or an event at UTEP, this would definitely be the place to stay as it is within walking distance to the University, and there are plenty of restaurants nearby on Mesa.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We used our Hilton points and booked a one-night stay at this property on our way to Orlando from LA. We had a one bedroom with two queen bed suite. Requested a ground floor unit upon chek-in and was given a handicap- accessible room. No problem there. We actually ended up liking the big shower better. The unit was clean and spacious. I didn't feel the need to use my disinfectant wipes to wipe down things (I often do that). The beds were super comfy. The living room area was sparsely furnished but was perfect for our taste (we don't like crowded arrangements). The small pool served the purpose. Plenty of parking spaces. We also like the breakfast buffet. We got the voucher for two free breakfasts as a diamond member. When I mentioned that there were four of us traveling, the man who checked us in gave me another voucher for two since this was our first time stay in this property. That was a nice gesture and greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Hilton Garden Inn is my favorite brand and I will almost always select one over others, even in the Hilton family. In fact, I switched from the DoubleTree downtown to this hotel even though it costs 5,000 HHonors points more per night. Boy, was that a mistake!

This is hotel isn't terrible, but it is by far the worst HGI I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at many. The location is only slightly better than being downtown. You'll still have to drive to find restaurants, so the location turned out to be no better than the DoubleTree. It is right at the entrance to the university, so if you have reason to go there, this is the best location for that.

Parking is free and there is plenty of it. Check-in was polite, quick, and my Diamond status was acknowledged properly. I have never received an upgrade as a result of being Diamond and this hotel was no exception.

I was in a double room and it was the same as all HGI's and had all of the usual features. This is an older property, so the bathroom is smaller and a bit worn, but not bad. The diverter valve on the shower was difficult to move, so most of the water went down the drain instead of to the shower head. The amenities are displayed on a Neutrogena tray, but only the mouthwash and bar soap were that brand, everything else was a normal hotel-type no-name brand. Nothing wrong with it except it isn't what is usually offered at HGI's. There were plenty of towels and they were clean. The carpet in the room and hallways is very dingy and there were two large stains right next to the bed that grossed me out. Everything else was clean enough, but not spotless.

I like this brand because of the option to have dinner in the hotel at a reasonable cost if I don't feel like going out. That was the case the first night, so I went downstairs for dinner. There are only a few choices of entree, but I ordered one and waited, and waited, and waited. It took 45 minutes for the food to come out. My salad sat on the kitchen shelf the entire time while the servers joked around with customers at the bar. They were friendly, but they need to serve the guests, too. The food was OK, but it took 90 minutes to finish dinner, which is WAY too long. Breakfast was the polar opposite, fast, tasty, and large quantities. I didn't have to pay for it, but if I did I would still like it.

The complimentary internet was so slow it was almost useless. There is no way you could work from this hotel. It was barely adequate for casual use. For some reason, it blocked access to my email host, which has never been a problem elsewhere. Very frustrating.

My room was not cleaned the first day even though I removed the DND sign by 10:00am and left the hotel soon after, not to return until after 5pm. I went out again for dinner, saw a maid in the hallway at 7:30pm who spoke to me, and still they did not clean my room. When I called for clean towels, they were delivered right away, but I shouldn't have to do that.

The A/C appears to have a minimum setting of 72 degrees no matter how low the guest sets it. I find that unacceptable. It isn't up to the hotel to decide what temperature is comfortable for me. For that reason alone I wouldn't stay here again.

On check-out day, the maids couldn't get us out of there fast enough. They took the DND sign off the door at 8:00am and kept trying their key in the door from then on. I felt like they wanted us to get the heck out.

The last straw was the gum-popping guy at the front desk who barely looked up when I gave him my keycards.

This is not the kind of service I expect from Hilton Garden Inns and I won't be staying at this location again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The rooms are quiet, spacious and well appointed. I was quite comfortable during my stay there but the hotel buffet breakfast which I've visited three times leaves a lot to be desired. First of all, they are severely understaffed at breakfast time. Normally on a buffet that would not be an issue, but here they cook eggs to order and a waitress brings them to the table (eventually). Two of the three times they were ice cold by the time they got there. The waitress brought iced coffee instead of iced tea, took away the silverware and straw leaving no way to stir the tea when it arrived and no way to eat my meal. The table was dirty when I arrived and never cleaned up. That happened two of three times as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2012

So I was there right after the bodies being found in Juárez was all over the news but way before the current trouble that Mexico is experiencing.

We had a real bizarre visit. We drove by actual billboards displaying God and Guns and EVERYONE we met was involved with illicit drugs. From DEA Agents to A.C. repair guys who keep the evidence rooms humid so the confiscated drugs don't dry out and lose weight. And everybody was freaked out about crossing the border to Juárez, including the 6 foot 3 Marine we shared the elevator with.

So being your typical Americans, that made us even more curious. And we wanted to experience this forbidden place (Maybe human nature to do the opposite of what one is told is a hint to why the "Drug War" rages on and provides so many jobs there?)

We went to Juárez three days in a row. We drove to the infamous ranch only to see 2 Federal Agents leaning on a shovel, we had dinner there, bought some Tequila and never had any trouble.

We made it back to the hotel as our tire was going flat. We asked the guy on the desk for the number to "AAA" the Auto Club. He told us he had never heard of the organization. And warned us again about crossing the border. So by now we feel like we are on an episode of "The X Files" or "Twilight Zone" this has just been a weird visit. I pointed to the THREE LARGE "AAA" sign hanging inches from his back and said "That is the Auto Club. Can you help us get the local number?"

The couple who checked out ahead of us were complaining about charges on their bill being wrong. While they worked it out, I looked closer at my bill. It was way off too. Made me wonder if they just overcharge by design.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have been staying at this Hotel for weeks at a time. Business.

This is the best staff in the entire nation. They even had a cake (small one) waiting for me on my Birthday.

My only suggestion would be, Expand the menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction zone.