“Border patrol, yesterday to today.”

National Border Patrol Museum
Ranked #10 of 97 things to do in El Paso
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is one unique museum, there is no other. Here you can learn the history of the border patrol from its early days to present. Early firearms, vehicles, and the people who gave it all are here to seen or be read of. Border agents and K-9s are honored here. Weapons, vehicles and techniques drug smugglers are also displayed here.

3  Thank wcso465

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This museum has a good number of displays without being overwhelming. The tribute to the fallen agents is riveting. The optional film that was shown by the volunteer really tied things together. This should definitely be a stop when in EP.

3  Thank rdrew0317
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My good friend from Switzerland, Chris Gafer-Luthi, is visiting for a few days and I am showing many of the sites around "The Hidden Gem of the World" (El PasoTX-USA). He was specifically interested in a different museum (Archaeology/Wilderness Park) which is adjacent, so there was no way we would miss this National Border Patrol Museum. I am forever grateful to the USBP because the agents have always watched out for me, particularly when I'm biketouring. Agents Lily & Jay (Marfa sector) replenished my near-empty water buffaloes on 13JUN2011, when I was camped between US90 & the fence about 4miles/6kms South of ValentineTX-USA. What they also did was replenish my lagging spirit, and I was able to pedal on, on another 1200miles/1900kms to Houston & partway back. Then, the USBP agents (Santa Teresa) continually checked on me when I camped within an arm's reach of the NM9 at mm107.5 in weather so cold that my water bottle lightly froze! My first biketour contact actually occurred several years earlier, when I camped between US54 & the fence between Oro GrandeNM & AlamogordoNM-USA. FOUR squad cars stopped on the shoulder close to where I had secreted myself & Doublevision behind bushes (nothing escapes these well-trained individuals!) while they investigated. My confidence was boundless because then, as now, I am legal and carry documentation to prove it. What's more, my Doublevision is rather distinctive; one of the agents remembered seeing me in NewmanTX-USA, just before I crossed the border into NM. It was also the first time, and thankfully not the last time, that I encountered a woman agent. I always comment their great value--as long as they're not paid over $100,000usd/year, and that salary needs to start at the top, in WashingtonDC-USA! All kidding aside, I am exceptionally pleased to know that we here in the USA have such diligent, reliable, & conscientious personnel on our borders.

1  Thank Juanito_Hayburg
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This museum provided a great historical tribute to the generations of individuals who have been protecting our border. There are very interesting displays of weapons used against Border Patrol agents a well as stories of their heroism and compassion. Definitely worth the time.

2  Thank James H
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have been to the museum a few times during visits to the area. It is not the Smithsonian, so don't expect big-budget displays; the museum is privately funded. They are always adding more displays and are currently doing an expansion - one recent addition is a complete ultralight used to smuggle drugs. Young children always seem to be having fun- they can climb into a real helicopter that is inside on display & other kid friendly activities. It is a small museum, one hour would be plenty of time to look at everything unless you sit through some of the video presentations.
The museum is easy to find and free to visit. One of the ladies who runs it (and who is usually there), her husband basically created the Border Patrol K9 program. She is very friendly and has some great stories.
There is a souvenier and clothing area with shirts, hats, items for kids, patches, wallets, mugs, etc.
Stop by and get some insight into what is going on at the border and how smugglers and agents use different tactics against each other.

3  Thank JT_Turner3