“Perfect breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A J's Diner

A J's Diner
Ranked #408 of 1,525 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sun City, Arizona
“Perfect breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I was staying for the night in El Paso. Went to another big box chain place for breakfast but there was a waiting list. Not wanting to wait since I wanted to get on the road, I went down the street to AJ's and I a sure glad I did!

I had one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time! It is rare for a place to get my over medium eggs right. Most of the time they are under done and more like over easy. But this time they were perfect! And the bacon was also cooked to perfection. I will certainly stop back if I am in El Paso again.

Visited December 2013

Clint, Texas
“Pricey and lame dessert - sad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had hot fudge sundaes. We mistakenly assumed that the 50's motif would reap us a couple of good sundaes, wrong. First of all, these things were pricey with a capital "P". They were like around $5 - $6 bucks a piece, but we decided to order thinking we'd be given an awesome dessert. Nope. We were served tiny parfait glasses with about six tablespoons of content. The hot fudge was either really old, really cheap or both. The service was lame. It took a while to get a waitress to come over. We ordered coffee/decaf and were told in a bored tone, "well, I'll have to make some..." Like she hoped we'd say, "oh no, don't bother." I think we were charged around $2 or more a cup... tiny coffee cup... no offer of a refill... I wouldn't recommend wasting my money at this place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
El Paso, Tx
“A classic diner experience for the modern age”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a modern reproduction diner in the corner of a strip mall. It's rather unassuming in appearance. But the decor and foods offer a fairly realistic diner experience.

I've eaten there a number of times and the food is always predictable. Simple diner fare prepared well. The service, however, is lousy. But then again, I don't remember any old timers raving about the service they received in diners back in the day, so maybe that just adds to the authenticity of the experience.

If you are visiting the city and are in the area, it's a good place to get a decent meal.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
El Paso, Texas
“Average diner food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Air-conditioner so cold that it made the experience cold. Food just ok and service okay. Cool decor.

Glen Allen, Virginia
“Very good food, very poor service (the food saves the restaurant).”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I went out with some friends and we chose this restaurant because I was in the mood for some diner food. I was not disappointed food wise. The food was also very reasonably priced. We had the frito pie as an appetizer and it was very good. It had a lot of chili and melted cheese (I could have done without the onions but my wife likes them).

My wife had the Patti Paige and I had the Egglicious Burger (Heart Attack Burger). We both thought they were very good. There is no way a normal person could eat the whole burger that I had. I eat a lot and I was only able to eat about 75 percent of it. The over easy egg was cooked to perfection, along with the burger. I also had the curly fries with mine and they were very good as well.

My wife and I split a Black Forest Shake (which is enough for two people). It had a very nice flavor to it.

On a side note, you kind of feel like you are in the 50s or 60s because the design of the restaurant fits that era almost perfectly.

The only complaints that we have about this restaurant is that the service was terrible and they need more tables for parties larger than four (they only have two tables that can accomodate parties larger than 4). As far as the service, we would go 15 or 20 minutes without seeing our waitress. I even had to go ask for our check after waiting about 20 - 30 minutes for our waitress to bring us our check. She apologized, but there is no excuse for that bad of service (the place is not that big!).

We will be back, but we hope for much better service (like basically any service at all!) next time.

• Visited February 2013