“Great Atmosphere, ok food”

Sorrento Italian Restaurant
Ranked #438 of 1,591 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had read some reviews and was excited to try Sorrento's. The atmosphere is great, romantic and lit by candle. I like that it was quiet and my husband and two kids could have a conversation without being distracted by a TV or loud music. The food was ok, not as good as I was hoping for. The salad was small and very bland, iceberg lettuce with one sliver of salami, one black olive and one tomato wedge isn't what I would classify as a salad. I had the eggplant parmigiana, it was ok, the sauce was under seasoned and the eggplant wasn't crisp. My daughter liked her pizza and my son's fettucine was good. My husband had the chicken parmigiana and it was the same as my eggplant. I'm pretty sure the "bread" we were served was heated up hotdog buns. I expected more especially for what we ended up paying, or maybe I'm to picky. I doubt we will be making a return visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The atmosphere of this restaurant is what makes this place wonderful. It is very dim and lit by candles, a very romantic place, not a TV in sight, and it was pretty quiet, left room for conversation which I often miss. The food was good, decently priced, and came with huge portions (for the meal). The salad and bread weren't to die for or anything, pretty small salad, and the bread wasn't home-made. The service was really great, our server was so sweet, and I got to talk to the owner as well: she was really kind and suggested some places we could visit in the area. Overall, great visit, I'd definitely recommend.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My father-in-law recently died and was buried at Ft. Bliss Nat'l Cem. The package that Sorrento's at 5325 Dyer in El Paso, TX, just up the street from the cemetery, gave my mother-in-law was great. She didn't know how many people would show up and they worked with that. The owner gave her free salads and when more people showed up than expected, they handled it with grace. When my mother-in-law addressed the table for a prayer, the kitchen stopped working and the music stopped. The entire staff stopped when they heard her. I don't know who alerted them amid their working, but every person on the staff stopped and honored our prayer.
The food was hot when we got it and the wait-staff refilled our tea and water glasses generously. And when we stayed and talked and laughed with each other about our loved one, they let us.
I have been a frequent customer of Sorrento's in the past, and now it's a treat to go, but I will definitely recommend this Italian restaurant. Prom dates still go there.
I do wish they would dust off the hanging wine bottles and plastic grapes a little more often though.

1  Thank Bobbi G
Reviewed August 1, 2013

First off, GREAT service! Everyone was so nice :)) Teresa was our server.

HOWEVER, it's very dim in there due to a reliance on candlelight. Which makes it perfect for a blind date. If you don't like what you see, just blow out the candle and enjoy the rest of your dinner.

The salads are tiny and plain and the bread gets cold really fast. It'd be great if the menus had the ingredients for every dish so we wouldn't have to bother the server for descriptions. The food was average. I had the chicken parmigiana.

For dessert I went with the cannoli which was SUPER sweet. But the chocolate cheesecake and spumoni are great. All in all, not even the service and dessert are worth the money I spent. If you want better Italian food go to Jando's.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I remember eating at Sorrento as a kid over 40 years ago. It has been here a very long time and was always a favorite of our family as I was growing up. And it has remained a favorite of mine ever since.

This is a comfortable, casual, come as you are restaurant with simple decor and a comfortable atmosphere. It's a very common places for dating couples as well as entire families. It offers something for everyone.

The food has always been superb. Over the years I've had everything from their homemade pizzas, to their lobster, fish with garlic and oil, pastas, and even their fried chicken. I have never had a bad meal there. Although my niece didn't care for their chicken cacciatore.

They have the most crisp salad that you're ever likely to find. Their homemade blue cheese dressing is outstanding. Their homemade bread is excellent. As is their homemade spumoni for desert.

The servings are large and the prices are quite fair. And their service is usually very good, though it can get slow when the restaurant is crowded, which is often is, especially on weekends.

1  Thank Plink_from_Tx