“Loved this restaurant!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We received a tip to try this restaurant out while on our very first visit to El Paso. We heard even Martha Stewart had visited there recently! It lies across from a cemetery in an unassuming building with not much parking close by. Because of the Sunday afternoon popularity, we had to park 3 blocks away and walk over. There was a 25-min. wait, but it was worth it. We got a table for 4, and had a some great tortilla chips (not too salty thankfully) with a 2 small bowls of sauce (red and green). The sauce was smooth in texture and not the chunky salsa. Excellent for both with unique flavors and not too spicy hot. We ordered the guacamole which was plentiful served over a bed of lettuce. My husband had an enchilada plate, and I had the chicken burrito with queso and green chile on top. This was not the queso you find in a can at Sam's Club. It's a white-ish melted cheese with Hatch green chile and was excellent. I also had a side order of a chile relleno. I've had it more crunchy at other restaurants, but the flavor was very good. My husband said the enchiladas were good. We were with friends who both got salads served in a big flauta-type bowl. They said they were good. One got the a cold brisket salad, and I had a taste. Had a good vinegar tang to the taste (my opinion). Food was plentiful. Waitress was at our table often to fill glasses and clear table or bring food. Very nice wait staff.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,605)

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Good place,good food and good price.

Mexican food, although like all Mexican food made outside of Mexico, it has a different flavor, but a good option to eat and spend time with family or friends

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

My husband and I always include L&J in our plans when visiting El Paso. The food is great. Love the home made mole, and the tortilla soup is the best we’ve had. Plus it’s a great place to meet local folks and get a feel for El Paso’s diverse and welcoming community.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 8, 2020

A very busy place, but the wait is so worth it. We enjoyed delicious chicken enchiladas with green chile sauce and with mole.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 3, 2020

L & J cafe in El Paso seems to always be crowded. The staff do a very good job of handling the crowds.

Lunch prices are fair and quality is good.

I enjoyed the chicken mole on this visit $9.89, included rice and beans, chips and salsa...choice of flour or corn tortilla.

Excellent honey drizzled sopapillas!

Opened for 92 years!

Date of visit: December 2019

Been to L & J Cafe? Share your experiences!