“Once widely-known, bigger is the only option!”

Quesadilla Estilo Villa Ahumada
Ranked #625 of 1,543 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Mexican
El Paso, Texas
“Once widely-known, bigger is the only option!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had begun my 400mile/640km Spring Break circular from El PasoTX-USA going East on Montana Avenue/US62-180, 15MAR2013, in outstanding weather. The 2-hour excused absence from YISD was truly wonderful as I made excellent time, ascending Hueco Mountain in sufficient daylight to camp at the future Cubby Hole Cafe (currently a cement pad, remnant of the former Shamrock Gas & Cafe!). While pedaling East on the smooth surface of Montana Avenue, I felt a bump in my front tire, but couldn't find any discrepancy and figured it was disturbance from the nearby Ned Finney quarry or firing range. After passing Hueco Tanks road, the superb divided Montana Avenue merged to become El Camino Buena Suerte ("Good Luck Road"), somewhat ironic because the smooth asphalt became rougher and I could no longer feel the bump in my fantastic 20-inch Maxxis tire. I happily pushed the pedals during this long ascent, glad to be making such good time. After a most satisfactory overnight camp, I continued to pedal East on US62-180, this time on a much easier, rolling road and stopped briefly at the Border Patrol check station--we were becoming old friends by now; this was my third pass in as many months! I had thought about asking for a cup of coffee (my emergency food goes only so far), but retracted it because they have been so wonderful in the past (Agents Lily & Jay saved my life and my Trans-Texas Bicycle Odyssey 2 years before by giving my deliciously cold potable water when I was camped just South of ValentineTX), so was pleased that the agent on duty did take a pix of me, though policy forbids a mutual photo. Anyway, I was about a mile/km beyond when the sky started brightening and the bump in my front tire became visible. Upon inspection, I knew I had to return home and special order a replacement; the bump was developing into a obvious egg. In fact, TWO eggs were being born! I cautiously pedalled, careful to not aggravate the problem and cause a blow-out. I also had help from a headwind, which kept me from going too fast, even down Hueco Mountain.
All of the preceding was to help you, dear traveller, understand that it had been quite a while since my last hot meal and I was starting to cycle on a very empty stomach. Now pedaling West on this wonderful road, I was determined to stop at the first eatery possible without having to go across the road, e.g., it had to be on my right. Always eager to eat where I've not been before, especially if they non-descript, this eatery more than qualified.
After parking my Doublevision in it's usual slot close to the blaring loudspeaker (a good sign), I entered to find only one other customer in a small space, perhaps not the best signs. After placing my order with owner/manager Eddie, I immediately went to the coffee pot and filled a cup, ready to enjoy more rejuvenating fluid enhanced with caffeine at last. But Eddie informed me that I needed to add instant coffee to the dark, hot liquid, which was only cinnamon water, and that I wouldn't pay until after delivery of the quesadilla. More bad signs?
Then it was served, along with a bowlette of chile, and anything negative was erased. I was astonished; this meal was incredibly good, as was the service. What's more, I must've lucked out, because the small area soon became SRO. I moved my leg from a chair at the small table where I was seated and provided it to another young girl who appeared fatigued from standing. Most of the customers were taking their meals to go; in fact, they had to because there was no more seating available.
I couldn't believe what a great find this eatery is, but don't take my word alone--you MUST go there and learn for yourself how fantastic it is. Obviously, lots of Far-East El Paso locals already know about it, but anybody, whether from East-, Lower Valley-,Central-, Upper valley-, West-El Paso, or ANYWHERE, need a good hearty brekkie, this is the place to go. Tell'em Juanito sent you!

• Visited March 2013