“Incredible dining experience!”

Cuisines: Japanese
El Paso, Texas
“Incredible dining experience!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We came in with the recommendation from the gentleman, from the Birkenstock store, (just a few stores down). I will admit when he told us Amuse had a little of everything from hamburgers to Sushi, I was a bit concerned. But decided to go for it anyway. Upon entering I noticed that the restaurant was immaculate, not a dust bunny in a corner or crumb on the floor. We ordered appetizers: coconut shrimp (jumbo shrimp, fresh and flavorful), garlic edamame (absolutely wonderful), entree: Amuse hamburger (it had handmade french fries, we all had some, they were not greasy at all, the best we have had so far), chicken teriyaki (made with home made teriyaki sauce, just right not too sweet or thick overwhelming the chicken) and two Sushi rolls (the california roll with masago and the smoked philly roll) excellent flavor served with low sodium and regular soy sauce. Our waiter Samuel I. was very attentive and came by often to check to make sure we had everything we wanted and refilled our hot tea pot without any prompting. We were glad to hear they have $5 hamburgers on Tuesday, $20 for 2 Wednesdays, and 1/2 off Sushi on Saturday (9PM to midnight) with happy hour from 5PM-7PM everyday (1/2 price appetizers too). We were honored to meet Master Sushi Chef Tommy Hwang and told him how much we enjoyed our meal and that we would definitely be back soon! The manager Michelle also came by to make sure our dining experience was everything we could ask for in their establishment. We felt at home, the employees were truly sincere in their extra care and professional service to ensure everything we ordered was as expected. This has "dramatic design of the restaurant" and offers a "distinctive dining environment". Our "family" consisted of all adults.

• Visited January 2013

New Mexico
“Not very amusing Amuse”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I dined here with a friend to celebrate my birthday, and wished I had not. The decor was trendy, as was the garb of most of the diners, and it looked promising as we entered. A review in the local press had raved about the great concept and the vast, wide-ranging menu, plus the complimentary appetizers from the chef, the "amuse bouche" or "mouth pleaser" of French cuisine. No chefs' appetizers appeared for us. We ordered a glass of wine each - and one of those delivered was not from the label listed on the menu (after years of drinking a particular wine, you know). Service was somewhat erratic. Our (paid) appetizer, the fried calamari, was lackluster - limp, and the ponzu sauce not very appealing as it enhanced the limpness. Sushi formed the bulk of the menu, but not being fans we chose another appetizer and a sandwich. The crabcakes my friend had were fine; while my sandwich was generously stuffed with strips of steak and a slice (from a package) of Swiss cheese, the advertised balsamic aoli and caramelized onion were barely present. The accompanying sweet potato fries were limp...I took most home and cooked them again in the toaster oven, at which point they were pretty good!

By the time we left the restaurant was full and buzzing with talk. Perhaps they came for the sushi...or it's just the latest scene to be seen in. Sadly, I don't feel inclined to return.

• Visited July 2012