“A very classic pleasant stay”
Review of Gardner Hotel

Gardner Hotel
Ranked #43 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Los Angeles, California
“A very classic pleasant stay”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Overall it's gay friendly and near a lot of bars and clubs from safe walking distance.. Truly for great price indeed you will get what you paid for, staff is friendly, protective as well to assure your stay is pleasant .. The room I stayed had a private bathroom(bathrooms opitional) my view was fun on the second floor,everything is so clean and smoke free because there is no smoking in the hotel.. Intresting history by the original owner in the 20's because once the Owner supported the KKK is long gone and now as time changed with different owners with gay friendly staff members... Indeed I will be stayin this hotel again to my next visit to El Paso..

Room Tip: Since there's clubs next door it's better on the Franklin side of the hotel... Weekends mayb...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JRipley73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel after a friend in the county historic society told us about it. Extremely good value, don't expect the taj mahal but more than adequate for the price. Very very friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Gardner Hotel several times as El Paso is my hometown and i am here to visit family..Ruben is especially nice..i like the Gardner hotel because it fits everything i want, going to Juarez, visiting the downtown museums, and good eating for a cheap price. I dont mind that downtown is dead after 5 pm, but then the clubs around the corner open. I usually just sleep here as I am in my family.s house or in Juarez the rest of the time..Love that it is old fashioned..plus more..

Room Tip: This is a nice place if you want the basics like wifi, a good place to sleep and so on..but if you w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This place is a pretty old building however if you like a building with plenty of character then you wont mind this place. The staff behind the desk were very friendly. The rooms were very basic and the TV I think was still around when square wheels were in fashion. The price was a little high for what you get; however what we did get in our stay we have no complaints about.
Put simply, slightly overpriced but comfortable. If your not too picky and fairly easy going then this isn't a bad stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P
chatham
Reviewed January 20, 2012

i stay here just for night, nothing special only location, price for rooms also not to cheap for quality of rooms, also you can book dorms her,

Room Tip: i dont know
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mangirdas b
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The Gardner offers perfectly adequate hostel accommodation, but it was the weird and wonderful old building and the friendliness of the staff that really made for a memorable stay. One thing I would wholeheartedly recommend would be to go on one of staff member Antonio's tours, if he's still offering them; our day trip to White Sands, which included innumerable little diversions to the kind of out-of-the-way sights and attractions (including foraging for pecans and stopping to look at swallows' nests under a bridge) only a local could know about, was just about the best (and cheapest!) tour I've ever taken. Antonio also -- just out of sheer friendliness -- accompanied me and another guest on a short trip across the border, and while I'm not sure I'd return to Juarez knowing what I know now, Antonio's presence made the whole thing far less daunting. In summary, I guess I'd give the Gardner around 3.5 stars on its own merit, but I'd give it TEN for Antonio if I could!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Passed through El Paso when travelling with my friend last summer. Since this was the only hostel we could find we didnt really have a choice but to stay here! Hated the experience from start to finish, found the main reception guy inappropriate, aggressive and almost menacing....no exageration. Horrible room, lonely corridors and the only other guests appeared to be homeless men. We had booked in for 7 days but left after 3 and checked into a Best Western which exceeded our budget but was worth it for a sound fearless sleep! A genuinely creepy place, old and tattered and not in a charming way. It should not be allowed to advertise as a hostel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends