“Groupon expiring tonight Dinner”
Review of Mancora Peruvian Restaurant - CLOSED

Mancora Peruvian Restaurant
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Peruvian food is famous for its taste and diversity and features a lot of seafood. It is the result of a melting pot of Spanish, Italian, African, Chinese and Japanese immigration and native Quechua culture. Ceviches, causas and saltados are some of the most highlighted dishes, providing fabulous flavors. Family owned and operated, the restaurant has a casual, family-style environment that is warm and welcoming.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

So you'd think the restaurant would be prepared on the last night of their coupon...not so. The Chef was off that night BUT we were pleasantly surprised with our meals.
Time ticking away...
Yep, service was SLOW but I can attribute that to poor timing, we heard a lot of people calling in their orders wanting to know if they can use their Groupon, people asking how to redeem their coupons. Bad night for us but we too were against the same wall and that may be why I'm inclined to be somewhat forgiving.
HEY OWNER...hint, know when you need staff.
Now to the food. We had fried yucca, lightly breaded and fried delicately. Yucca is pretty agnostic flavor wise, so some sort of Peruvian sauce would be nice.
I had the Arroz con Mariscos spicy style. It was yellow rice full of seafood like shrimp, squid, fish and octopus. Like a paella on a plate, tasty and filling plate.
My wife had Pollo Saltado spicy style also. The first thing we noticed was french fry's and rice on the same plate! Awesome for a carb diet! The rice was green, parsley rice...interesting taste and it blended well with the chicken, tomatoes and red onions (back off a notch with the onions). The top of the dish was nice but when you got to the sauce it was way toooooo salty. Good flavor but couldn't finish the last portion because of the salt. Wife complained she was up drinking H2O all night.
Like I said...the restaurant was unprepared for the last minute crowd BUT the sous chef (helper) was phenomenal give the situation.
We will go back again The menu is interesting and we would like to return on a less stressed evening.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Two of my friends had been here be fore and since i like to try different resturants several of us went after church. it was a small place, the server was nice, we were the only grop ther at that time. the prices were high, they did not have things that were on the menu that i had asked for andlooked safe. themeal i got was 14.00 was the mildest and was still pricey. only ate less than half and brought home for my roommate to eat....

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were passing through El Paso, and found good reviews of Mancora. I couldn't believe that an El Paso strip mall would have good Peruvian food, but was pleasantly proven wrong.

I had Chicha Morada, expecting it to be made from the powder mix, but they boil the corn themselves and it was delicious. Then we moved on to soup - Shrimp chowder for me and Seafood soup for my husband. We both enjoyed our selections; I thought the broth for my Chowder especially well seasoned and richly flavored. The Loma Saltado approached that made by my son's birthmom (my standard for excellence): the french fries were crispy, the sauce flavorful - my only quibble was that the beef was a little overcooked and tough.

Perhaps most impressive to me was the service. My husband told the waitress he was celiac, and please make sure that his dishes were flour-free. As she cleared his soup, she mentioned that his seafood soup usually contained gluten, but the chef had mixed a special batch for him. She wanted to make sure if he came back, that he didn't think the soup was gluten-free as usually served. That, to me, is above and beyond and warrants a rating of 5.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I went with 3 friends, two were from Peru, and we all loved the food! From reading the other TripAdvisor reviews, I knew what I wanted to order already, but in addition, my Peruvian friends ordered a "spread" of choices for us to try. Of course, we ordered way too much food, but it was great because we had a lot to take home!

We started with the purple corn drink (I forgot the name of it) that was wonderful, so wonderful that we went to a grocery store afterwards so we could buy the ingredients to make it at home. We had a number of appetizers, ceviche, yucca a la huancaina, causa, choros a la ....? All of those were great! For entrees we had Aji de gallina, Chaufa, Saltado de marisco and Lomo saltado. Although I'm not fond a mussels, the way they were cooked was good, and my friends finished off the plates. The only dish I wouldn't order again was the Loma saltado, the beef was tough and flavors were unimpressive. For desert we had Alfajor (a cookie with dulce de leche filling), I'd have liked to try additional deserts but I was too full!

I can hardly wait to go back!

1  Thank NewMexicoPurpleSage
Reviewed January 1, 2013

i had lunch here. Service was nicem but the food was weak. I ordered one of their specialities and the meat was dry and leftover and it tasted like chinese food- bad chinese food. Nice little rice pyramid in the center of the plate though. not again.