“Supper Food, Swift and Friendly Service”
Review of Tabla

Tabla
Ranked #12 of 1,539 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Bar, Spanish, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Grand Prairie, Texas
“Supper Food, Swift and Friendly Service”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Located in the Union Plaza area of El Paso, Tabla is a little tricky to find. The address says 115 Durango Street, but the entrance is on one of the walking streets at a right angle to Durango.  An unhappy reviewer complained about paying for parking. I parked in the city operated lot a block away and, for my $5 parking fee, I got a $5 off voucher for Tabla. Free parking!
They had 10 draft beers in addition to a full bar. The menu included a lot of creative drink concoctions.
The place was filling up when I arrived about 8:00 PM so I sat at the bar. That meant I got to watch the chefs at work and chat with the bartender.
When I saw the list of five salads and 22 tapas I knew I wasn't going to get to the entrees.
As a starter I ordered the duck and beet salad. Lots of slivers of warm duck confit, beets, arugula, generous shavings of manchego, in a subtle aioli dressing. Outstanding!
My second dish was crispy green beans. Fresh green beans fried crispy in a light tempura batter, tossed in a tarragon aioli, with crispy chunks of smoky bacon. Stunning!
I was in Spain a month before my visit to El Paso and sampled tapas in Granada, Torre del Mar, and Malaga. Everything is bigger in Texas, including the tapas. The bowl of green beans was huge. I thought I might be able to taste a bunch of the tapas, but since I was dining alone, I had to lower my sights.
My third tapa was the Pinchos. Perfectly grilled pork chunks on a skewer, nicely seared, but tender and juicy, with a piquillo pepper aioli. The pork had been tossed with a little Rosemary (fragrant but not overwhelming) which complimented the piquillo peppers in the aioli.
Fourth: Baked Goat cheese with honey, served with toast wedges and caramelized onion jam sprinkled with toasted pecan pieces. A little sweet, very hot (be careful). Delectable! They confessed that the goat cheese was not local, but it was from Texas.
I finished with a Crème Catalaña with fruit accompanied by a shot of white rum infused with lemon and mint. The Crème Catalaña is sort of like a Crème Brule but with chocolate and chipotle flavoring the custard, so there's a little heat, and caramelized sugar sprinkled with a few berries and pieces of fruit on top. Delicious!
Drinks: Rahr Ugly Pug (Fort Worth, TX), Big Bend Belgian-style wheat beer (Alpine, TX), the house red Sangria (tasty, not too sweet, with tiny pieces of apple and orange as a garnish). Rum infusion: white rum infused with lemon and mint, served in a shot glass rimmed with Hibiscus sugar.
It's been a while since I was in El Paso. I need to come back more often, just to dine at Tabla.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank drntbruce

Chicago, Illinois
“An unexpected gem in downtown el paso”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

In town on business we stopped by the visitors desk at the airport where a very friendly woman not only called the Doubletree shuttle for us - she gave us two suggestions for dinner. We decided to walk over to Tabla. Serving modern tapas everything we order was amazing. We order sangria, baked goat cheese, calamari, salmon, and finished with a chocolate dessert.
I believe that you cant go wrong with anything you order.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mbaTravels A
Kailua, Hawaii
“Slow, unimpressive food”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to eat here after the good reviews. We have been to other tapas bars and love the idea of small Plates to share. This experience was very underwhelming. The service started off good but it seemed as though the staff became extremely overwhelmed and confused. The salads were both good. The tapas were not impressive. The paella was disappointing, just an average paella. My husband enjoyed the duck enough. We also had to pay for parking. Overall, we would not return.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Christina G
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“A favorite of ours. 5 ratings across the board.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We've been there multiple times. Travel from Las Cruces to dine there. Food is consistently excellent. Brought friends there recently and they all loved it too.

• Visited April 2013
Hutchinson, Kansas
“Wanted to try everything!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went out with local friends while in town on business. I had no idea downtown El Paso was so hip! The restaurant was very funky, the music interesting, and the food delicious. The three of us shared seven different plates and I couldn't tell you whether the bacon-wrapped dates, grilled asparagus, smoked duck breast, or any of the others were the best. They were all fantastic. I'd definitely go back next time I'm in town, and highly recommend it. A little pricey, and the service was a little unctuous, but other than that an outstanding evening.

• Visited April 2013