“Terrible neighborhood, creepy guests”

Hyatt Place El Paso Airport
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Austin, TX
“Terrible neighborhood, creepy guests”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

El Paso is a pretty run down town, so of course I was hardly expecting the Four Seasons or even a fancy or upscale neighborhood. But I was hoping for a clean, safe, decent hotel in a clean, safe, decent neighborhood, and I have happily stayed in MANY HP properties in other cities in the past as a frequent business traveler. Well this this neighborhood, property made me feel anything but safe. The neighborhood is very trashy, looks like skid-row (even by EP standards), and some of the "guests??" I saw hanging around the lobby were downright sleazy. Two shabbily-dressed, unshaven guys, with stringy hair were in the lobby as I arrived (not staff). They looked like they just staggered out of a bar at sunrise. And they kept staring at me when I walked into the lobby (no typical, friendly "hello" or "good evening" that you usually get from fellow travelers). Gave me the creeps. So after a few minutes of that weird vibe, I followed my instincts, left PDQ, and stayed elsewhere. I don't blame the staff, but the HP owners could do a lot to either relocate the hotel to a safer area closer to the airport or at least try to be more discerning in screening/booking guests, if they wanted to make an effort.

Advice to other travelers: Consider other, nicer places in safer areas. There are many hotels very near Airway Drive, closer to the airport and near many restaurants. I recommend that business travelers and families pay a little more $$$ and skip this dump.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank marieTX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 14, 2013

we have stayed in this hotel several times as we travel that way and have found it to be very convenient, close to many restaurants with a staff that is always courteous and efficient. It is a hotel that has good value and our planning on a trip usually takes that hotel into account.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor for maximum quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Excellent breakfast with oatmeal and yogurt bar. Only negative was double instead of queen beds. Beds are comfy. Employees are super helpful. Great location. Room had a fridge and pull out couch. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed for a business conference. I used info from the other reviewers to ask for a room away from the highway. Very nice room, very nice size. Same problem with the bathroom door that many others noticed. You had to step in and dance around the toilet in order to close the door. Design flaw, don't see how they can improve this.
Nice bar area, food pretty good, pricey though. $5 for a bottle of Coors Light? C'mon...Front desk staff doubled as waiters and cooks, so when our whole group in the bar, they were a little overwhelmed. As other reviewers said, climate control leaves a lot to be desired. Pretty much either on or off. No way to regulate the temperature. I quizzed my co-workers, everyone had the same complaint. Don't think any of us slept well.
Shuttle was nice, they took our group to a local restaurant for dinner one evening. Decent location, lots around but you couldn't really walk anywhere. Large mall across the highway, but no easy way to cross 8+ lanes of traffic. Shuttle will take you though, so that is nice. Breakfast good, but coffee stops at 9:30am, then it goes to pricey Starbucks at the bar area. Overall, pretty good, can't suggest any improvements they could actually implement, can't move the highway or the airport, could maybe change out the heaters/a/c though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Overall it was great. The staff was helpful and polite and the rooms were very nice. Our king size room had a sectional sofa w/ottoman, fridge, and bar faucet, and a gorgeous large flat screen tv, also interesting enough there was no tub just a large standup shower, guess it works for most but i had a 2yr old who prefers tubs but we managed just fine. I would definitely stay here again and again.

Dallas, TX
Helen M.

• Stayed February 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had the opportunity to visit the Hyatt Place El Paso airport. Didn't wow me. The complimentary airport shuttle doesn't start until 6:00am and I had to argue with the morning hostess to get comped for the taxi n the morning. If you do stay make sure you are not on the highway side as it felt like my bed was in the highway median it was so noisy. Was 175$ per night and as much as I love Hyatt this property is overpriced. They will get one more shot and then I will pick one of the closer airport hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank UoMdaddy
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here twice and it's where we'll stay if we're ever in El Paso again.

They remodeled at some point and the hotel is just lovely. They really put a lot of money and effort into it (unlike other hotels). They have an automated check in but one of the employees always greets you when you check in and asks if there's anything you need.

They have a decently sized menu that's served all day, you can eat in your room or downstairs. The food is delicious. Their continental breakfast is also one of the better ones I've had. they have a large selection of coffee and tea plus decent sized to go cups. The only thing I dislike is that they don't have a soda machine, just bottled soda.

I can't say enough good things about the rooms. They're all suite sized with mini bars, fridges, a desk and a sofa big enough for 4-5 people. The TV is huge and turns so it faces the bed or the sofa. The bed was very comfy, the pillows could have been better (I rarely stay in a hotels with pillows I like though). The rooms have all been updated and look awesome, plus they have tons of outlets. The bathroom is a little tiny, you have to step into the shower to close the door but it's not a big deal. The internet was good and the TV had a decent amount of channels as well as a lot of pay options.

The only problem we had with this hotel was its proximity to the freeway. It didn't bother me but my hubby is a very light sleeper. We were on the front side of the hotel in a corner room (same room both times we stayed), so the sound could from the cars might be worse in our room than in others.

Their price was very reasonable for the area. If you're in El Paso you must stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room farther from the freeway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple