“A nice surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in El Paso
Wesley Chapel, Florida
“A nice surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked my trip through Priceline as a package. The airlines was American and hotel was the Hyatt in El Paso. The total cost was $680.00 for round trip air and 4 nights at the Hyatt (great price). The staff was friendly and my room was extremely clean. I was a bit concerned about I-10 being so close but it wasn't a problem at all. I didn't hear any outside noise. The location was great as my son is stationed at Ft. Bliss. I appreciated the complimentary breakfast although the main selection was a little boring after a 4 night stay. I would recommend this hotel and enjoyed my stay. It was nice to have a shuttle available to the airport.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is the way to go.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Albuquerque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel room was dusty but other than that the room was ok. The staff was not very enthusiastic about us checking in at midnight. When we walked up to the counter he just stared at me and finally asked unenthusiastically if we needed help. He was obviously annoyed that we were interrupting his conversation with his friend.
When we made it to the room the remote to the TV was missing. The young man working the front desk told us he was the only one on staff & was going to have to search the back for a remote and then find batteries. I didn’t need the sob story, I just wanted a remote!
Another man knocks and when I open the door all I see is an arm holding a remote, the man didn’t even have enough courtesy to show his face or show any concern for us.
This is the second time we stay at this hotel and it won’t be the last. El Paso does not have great hotels so unfortunately this one will have to do.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hyatt Place is my preferred hotel when I travel on business. The quality can vary a bit, but is ususally very good. This property falls into the very good category. The proximity to the interstate had me concerned about noise, but my room was very quiet. Breakfast selections have always been adequate and have improved now that the breakfast sandwiches, which were formerly at an extra cost, are free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

NAILS ON CHALKBOARD - LOUD A/C SQUEAL - PROBLEM THROUGHOUT THE HOTEL

I have no complaints with the friendliness and demeanor of the staff. They were friendly and apologetic about the problem.

We:

A couple with a 5 month old daughter. We arrived tired and did not come across the problem until about 11 pm that night. The sound, similar to an aging fan belt on an automobile, was woke up our daughter several times that night. I told them about the problem that morning.

We were not willing to pack up in the middle of the night in order to move to another room. So to a great degree I am knocking off 2 out of 5 stars simply for the problem existing. I took off the 3rd star because we found out the problem to be systemic within the hotel. We could have moved in the middle of the night and encountered the same problem. I appreciate the staff member being honest about the problem.

Other Issues:

The weekend we arrived in El Paso (August 16th-18th) of 2012 was hot and humid as it rained often and stayed in the upper 80's lower 90's the entire time we were there. Our room smelled muggy and it was just uncomfortable due to the heat since we turned off the A/C in order to avoid the VERY LOUD SQUEALING of the unit. This made my wife miserable and our daughter broke out in a heat rash.

The staff member informed me that that particular hotel was outfitted with swamp coolers and the noise we heard was the cooler trying to keep the room cool but failing AND while failing it would emit that irritating noise. The staff member was aware of the issue before we arrived and told us that the hotel and "corporate" office were discussing the issue but had not come to some form of understanding on fixing the issue.

To Corporate:

If this issue is systemic throughout the hotel, FIX IT.

Priceline:

We searched for a 3 star hotel in the airport area and this was the hotel that booked us.

I am going to inform Priceline regarding our stay. We are also not going to bid in the same area again to avoid this hotel in the future. I will let you know in an update if anything comes of my complaint to Priceline.

Staff was kind, courteous and understanding but could do nothing to solve the problem. The coffee was good, the pastries we ate on Friday morning with the complimentary breakfast were delicious. (I am a sucker for warm pastries - full disclosure).

If you do book make sure the room you are given is one that is not known to have this squealing issue. We were not offered a room change that was guaranteed squeal free.

I hope you enjoy your stay in lovely and friendly El Paso, TX. It is my home town and I have a wonderful time with friends and family every time I visit. The one thing we did not get was a restful sleep and a comfortable hotel room.

Ruben

Room Tip: Make sure the room's A/C does not squeal.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Ideally located with very attentive staff. Room was fair priced, it included excellent breakfast. Rooms are very spacious, but beds are a bit uncomfortable. Hotel has Airport shuttle, and to other places within a 3 mile radious.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I would stay here again and I was actually really impressed with the layout. I really liked how spacious it was, the modern furniture, the television, and two washrooms (one with bath). The lobby is also very nice. I didn't have a lot of time and only stayed one night here, but the price was good and the quality was high. One of my more memorable stays.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We recently stayed here for 2 nights, but were wishing we had chosen a different hotel. I chose this hotel based on the generally positive reviews so I feel compelled to write this review as we had a somewhat different opinion. My husband, who is not the picky type whatsoever, referred to this hotel as "lipstick on a pig". It's like a run down hotel with a nice paint job and a nice lobby. To start with the positives: the staff was all very friendly, the hotel shuttle was easy and efficient, and the breakfast had a nice selection (I especially like the selection of hot teas). Our room however, was a complete disappointment. The second we walked in, a nasty musty smell overcame us and never went away. The bathroom was just an old pedestal sink with zero counter space. We had to balance our toiletry bags on top of the toilet and sink faucet handles. There was no hair dryer!! The bathroom fan wasn't working. The tub was grimey in places. The noise from the highway outside was extremely loud and often woke us up. The entire room needed a good scrub down and I found myself going around wiping up dirty places on the walls, air conditioner, etc. The pool area was ok. It was small and outdated but ok.
We will definitely choose another hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family