“incredible Chinese food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Houston, Texas
“incredible Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

We eat at a lot of restaurants, including numerous Asian restaurants, but this one is a stand out. The food is just absolutely delicious. We have already gone back numerous times and tried numerous dishes. We have never left disappointed. The staff is courteous and responsive. There are times in which every table has been taken and there is a small line forming outside...almost like everyone having the same thought of coming to this restaurant at around the same time. Definitely worth a try for those who have not.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank WhenOffRatRace

El Paso, Texas
“Probably the best Chinese Food in El Paso”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

It is hard to define what is best Chinese Food as China has so many types of cuisine. The few related Chinese restaurants in El Paso (Sam's, Moon Star, Red Lantern) are operated by bosses from Canton (Guandong), so the dishes are more Cantonese than the usual American Chinese food. I visited Red Lantern for the 1st time today - Sat at 1:15pm. The restaurant is bright and roomy. The deco is Chinese with a bit of modern style. Waitress greeted me swiftly. I was greeted by the owner/manager who also took my order: stream fish fillet with ginger, spring onion and cilantro, served with stream rice. It comes with a complimentary soup of the day. The stream fish was served in less about 10 minutes. It was the Cantonese style steam fish in soy source. The fish was soft, smooth and fresh. The portion was big for a $10.95 dish, enough for 2-3 person w/o additional dish to go with the rice. I am a Chinese and my grandfather come from Canton province. I give this dish a 5 star rating. This is the only Chinese restaurant in El Paso which also has a menu in Chinese language. If you see the number of Chinese customer eating there, it is a sure bet to be authentic...it is just like if you see a Mexican restaurant packed with Mexicans, it must be good.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KC7100
El Paso, Texas
“The Lantern may be Red, the savings are Green, and the food is SCRUMPTIOUS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

My wife & I treated ourselves to a wonderful evening meal, but our first choice was closed. Safely walking across busy Zaragoza Avenue, we entered the well-populated Red Lantern Restaurant. We found one of the few vacant tables and got comfortable, as server Diana quickly brought us hard-cover menus, which were a real delight to order from: we can order by number, with each described/labeled in English, Chinese, and a small photo of the dish, too. We were both feeling vegetarian, and ordered a cup of seafood soup, Spring rolls, Crispy Tofu (me) and family style tofu (her); we both drank water on the rocks. A large bowl of steaming white rice was served up along with the entrees, as well as sweet & spicy sauces for the rolls. While the appetizers went down fairly quickly--the ice water was refilled often--the main dishes were so plentiful that a dogbox (I am such a dog, even when bicycling!) was needed, which became next day lunch. Despite a crowded restaurant, I felt welcomed and look forward to returning. You will too! Xie xie!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Juanito_Hayburg
New Mexico
“Best Chinese Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Although my experience with Chinese restaurants is limited to the 37 states I have lived in or visited, I can say the Red Lantern is undoubtedly at the top. I know this is saying a lot, but it's a fact. Everything that I've tried there has been wonderful. Some of the dishes I have sampled were things I've eaten at other restaurants, and the Red Lantern version came out far ahead. Other dishes were unique in my experience to the Red Lantern, and they were also delicious.

There is a large menu, including a good selection of vegetarian choices. The traditional dishes come with your pick of shrimp, beef, chicken or pork. There are a number of rice and noodle dishes. By far, most of my favorite meals have been ordered from the "Chef's Specials" portion of the menus. At the top of my personal list is the "Red Lantern Mex Crew". I'm not sure what the name means, but it is some of the best "spicy, crispy chicken" I have ever eaten. Other great dishes I have either ordered or sampled from others at the table are "Mango Delight", "Ocean Garden" and "Curry Hot Pot". There is also a wide selection of Appetizers of which my favorite is the "Chicken Lettuce Wrap" and a number of very good soups.

Finally the best news. The prices are remarkably inexpensive, and the portions are huge!

• Visited June 2011