“Going Greek goes greatly!”

ZINO'S Greek Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1,580 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Gyro is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking Greek food. That, and olives and feta cheese and olive oil and pita bread and lamb and carved spit beef and . . . ! Anyway, my wife and I were both hankering for this particular healthy food and, always eager to try a new restaurant, we motored a rather far distance to the Westside. At Exit 12, we ramped up Resler to Mesa, turned left to this small eatery. It was crowded, a good sign of good food. In fact, we were lucky to find an empty table, but were quickly attended to as soon as we sat down. I had had my meat quota for the day (TWO cheeseburgers at lunch-surprise!), so the vegan was a natural way to go. The falafel appetizer was perfect, as was my Greek Village Salad and her gyros sandwich. Striking up a conversation with Chef Zino while paying our bill, he indicated an interest in opening an Eastside restaurant, which I'm looking forward to. Several customers at this Westside location are regulars, and I'm looking forward to becoming a regular at the Eastside location whenever it comes in!

2  Thank Juanito_Hayburg
Chef_Zino, Owner at ZINO'S Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

We are happy you found us! Thank you for coming by and trying our great food. We look forward to serving you and your friends again soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place only seems greek. The gyros are always dry and rubbery and other things seem lacking. Do not order to go- you will get leftovers.

1  Thank marthaElPaso_Tx
Chef_Zino, Owner at ZINO'S Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

We are sorry you did not have a good experience. We never serve leftovers, but obviously something went wrong and we hope you give us an opportunity to fix it. Please ask for me, Chef Zino, so we can talk about how we can better serve you.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My last review of Zino's was "Excellent." However, I felt obligated to write another review after my most recent visit tonight (this was the straw that broke the camel's back of slowly declining quality over the past several months). This was the second time we have eaten inside of the restaurant (we usually order take-out) and it was a poor experience.

We ordered the hummus dip with pita appetizer and it was average. My wife had my Athenian side salad since I do not like salad. It was very unfortunate for her because she found a hair in the salad. This indicates there is a general lack of quality control in the kitchen. One of the waitresses apologized, but we did not hear if we were going to be reimbursed in some way for probably about 15 minutes. She finally told us that she was going to give us baklava for free. She gave us two pieces, but did not ask if we actually liked baklava (my wife and I are not big fans of it).

I had the gyro platter entree and it came out lukewarm (we decided to eat inside of the restaurant because we wanted fresh, hot food that you usually do not get with takeout). My wife had the Greek Philly Cheese Steak and the spiceness completely overpowered any flavor in the dish. I like a lot of spiceness and it was too much for this particular dish. We ordered our two year old daughter a Jr. gyro platter. However, the waitress never wrote it down on our order ticket and was subsequently not delivered to our table. A two year old's entree is the last one at the table that should be screwed up! She offered to bring one out for us, but my lukewarm entree would have been completely cold by then. Thus, my wife and I just gave her some of our food.

Speaking of the waitress, she was horrible! It was her second night and it seemed like she had no prior waitressing experience. My wife had to ask two different waitresses for a new fork (she gave the other one away because of the above hair issue) and our drinks were empty before they were re-filled. The couple next to us was having a similar issue as you could tell from the actions of the female guest.

Overall, it was a poor experience. Zino's used to be one of my favorite restaurants in El Paso. It is not anymore. It has become the same run of the mill average restaurant that is characteristic of a very large portion of the food scene in El Paso. I felt like I wasted my money tonight and I will not be back for a very long time. I miss Zino's of the past!

2  Thank kandkwed
Chef_Zino, Owner at ZINO'S Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

While it was only your waitress's first full day working with us, we always expect our guests to have a great dining experience. We are sorry that wasn't the case and we are glad you let us know. We should have been checking more on how she was doing and that your food was delivered up to our standards. I will be personally taking a step back in retraining any new employees to make sure this does not happen again. I will also share your concerns about the quality of our food with the kitchen staff. This should never be the case and I am taking immediate corrective action. We take pride in our food and our excellent reputation. Please message me so I can send you a gift certificate so you can evaluate our improvement. We hope you will give us an opportunity again to show you the type of food and service you expect from us.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had a gyro for a first visit, excellent and huge, the fries are great also. My friend enjoyed the lamb burger and said he would go back. I know I will return to try some of the other goodies on the menu.

Chef_Zino, Owner at ZINO'S Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

We are so glad you found us! Our goal is to serve the best, most delicious, fresh food in El Paso. Thanks for letting us know how we did!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I used to work near the Greek neighborhood in Astoria, NY and I'm accustomed to very high quality Greek food. Zino's is right up there with the best of them. Even simple things like the babaganoush and hummus take on an elevated status under Chef Zino's recipes. The only complaints we had were that the portion of the too-die-for lamb shank is too small. You just want more of it. (Oh, and he unfortunately took the equally good short ribs off the menu!)

For people not accustomed to Greek food, ease into it with the awesome lamb burger or the ubiquitous gyro platter found in every Greek restaurant. I personally started off my first time with the Vegetarian Small Tour of Greece platter and was awestruck by the size of it (and I'm not a small guy, either). The Pastichio (ziti in bechamel sauce) is excellent as is the Moussaka (kind of a Greek version of lasagna but done with layers of potatoes and eggplant instead of noodles).

I can't speak for his desserts as I am diabetic, but he once (according ot my wife) made a killer version of Kadaife which has many of the same taste elements as Baklava but with strands of shredded wheat across the top.

The place isn't much to look at...and the menu above the front register makes it seem more like a fast food restaurant than one which serves true sit-down quality meals. Don't let that dissuade you and BYOB.

2  Thank Maurice K

Thank you for your kind words! Our entire kitchen and wait staff work hard to keep our guests happy. We look forward to serving you again soon!