“Birthday surprise”

Dining options: Reservations
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We live in Alamogordo, food mecca of the world (NOT), and were picking up my new grill in El Paso...a lovely little (the thing is freakin' HUGE) birthday present. The spousal unit wanted tapas, and did her usual research. She found two other places, but were closed on the day we were there, a Monday. Ruli's was where we ended up. The place was packed when we got there as they had a group of cheerleaders from UTEP doing some sort of recognition meal. We were greeted right away. Service was a bit different as we started with one person, then another took over, and then another. No biggie, service was still good. I went to take a look at what was on tap, and fell into conversation with the 'bartender' *Spoiler Alert* It was Ruli, the owner. Holy knowledgeable about his beer selection! True, there were only five on tap, but he knew anything and everything about each, and helped me pair my beer with my tapas....an experience very much worth mentioning. Ok....so my beer was spot on. The gorgeous critter sitting across the table from me, however, had a different experience. She ordered the Sangria. It appeared to be a multi-layered beverage...interesting. Once mixed, she swore up and down it had 'cola' in it. I assured her it was a carbonated spritzer. Eh, turns out it was diet Pepsi...let's just say she wasn't impressed. We ordered food...yummy, yummy food. Manchego cheese with prosciutto drizzled with honey. Shrimpies in a great garlic/chili infused oil. Lamb nuggets...perfect. Bangers and mash...lovely with the pint. Desert...brie with a cranberry/balsamic compote...vinegar was a bit much to be honest. *Editor's note: descriptions are from this author's feeble memory and limited vernacular.
Found at the end of a strip mall, across the street from UTEP, I was very happy that my better half ended us here for dinner, and look forward to going back for the one item we wanted but could not get....the rock crab wontons....they were out of crab, apparently a key ingredient.

• Visited May 2013

Nashville, Tennessee
“very good but...”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What others ordered looked really good via presentation. We felt like we wanted to sample everything. We shared the Mexican sliders and special of the week (sliced roast beef, onions cheese on a roll). We tried fried green beans and sweet potato fries for our sides. The sweet potato fries were a bit over seasoned. I never tried fried green beans before and found them to be fresh and crisp on the inside and tasty. The service was very attentive. We were both very disappointed with how the meat on the sliders was very tough and chewy. The atmosphere is nice for a lunch meeting.

• Visited March 2013
Richardson, Texas
“Second time just as good”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was our second time experiencing the very fun Tuesday night special at Ruli's. Two-for-one appetizers and cheese plates. Some are outstanding, some merely okay, but the ability to sample several interesting dishes at such an affordable price is too much fun to pass up. The service is attentive but not intrusive. It's quiet enough to enjoy "date night" conversation, but the atmosphere is bright, not dull.

• Visited February 2013
Houston, TX
“DElish”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

The clerk at the hotel suggested the restaurant. Although he was way off on the travel time, he was dead on accurate about deliciousness! Although they have a varied menu but we focused on the tapas. OUTSTANDING! The lamb 'lollipops' were our favorite followed by the Gambas Aiolli, shrimp nachos, bangers and mash, and the grilled calamari. Our server suggested the house Pinot Noir which was very tasty. Our server was attentive and very pleasant. A GREAT start to our visit to El Paso.

“Don't expect normal service”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I like the food, but won't be returning because of the service and management. If your food seems undercooked to you, don't complain. We did, and the manager just gave a nasty look to me and rurned ger head. and a waiter simply disagreed.

3 Thank StaceyCould