“Try to Avoid”

Ranked #60 of 82 Hotels in El Paso
Phoenix, Arizona
“Try to Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Choice needs to give this property a priority inspection. This is along the lines of a Rodeway or Motel 6. The checkin was fine although the person never recognized my diamond elite status with Choice. After a few minutes in the room, I needed a pen for my "three" notepads but no pen. I stopped by the front desk and he said they had no pens because they forgot to order them and still have not been ordered. I got one from my car. I attempted to set the clock radio for bed and...no clock radio. I need a clock so when I wake up at night I know what time it is.

Woke up, stepped on the tacks holding the carpet in place at the bathroom entrance. The carpeting was torn and the tacks were exposed to dig into any bare foot that got near it. Took a shower and the tub was filthy. It needed a good shot of Clorox; nothing more. The bathroom was minimally clean. The fitted sheets would not stay over the cheap pillowtop pad.

Breakfast: The eggs were floating in water, seriously. The folks who came in after me commented on them and did not take any either. I made a waffle and no syrup...and no breakfast attendant anywhere. I walked to the front desk, asked for syrup, and the guy seemed surprised they were out. The dispenser was completely empty. There was no way this went empty during breakfast since I was there at 6:45am. This syrup dispenser was put out that morning empty.

I checked out with a list of problems and asked the clerk to give it to the GM. This property detracts from the brand that Choice is trying to promote. The GM needs to read this review and get in gear. No way a guest should have to walk on carpet tacks. Housekeeping needs to inspect these rooms. How the hell do you clean a room and not check for a clock/radio that's missing or bring the carpet tack problem to the attention of maintenance?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank dcjw700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Gulpen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We didn't experience any of the issues from some of the recent reviewers. The room was big, clean and everything was working ok. We tried to book a AAA-rate through the internet but the website didn't accept our European AAA-card. The frontdesk changed our reservation and gave us our AAA-rate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Booked a non-smoking King room at 7pm for the same evening. Called the hotel at 9pm to confirm my reservation and to inform them that I will be a very late check inn, approximately 1am. By the way, I am a Choice Privileges Diamond member. When I got to my room, I realized they put me in a double double room right next to the highway instead of the King room which I reserved. Not only was I put in the wrong room but the room was dirty with stains on the wall and on the couch cushions!! I called down to the front desk and was informed that there were no other rooms available. If it wasn't for the fact that it was so late at night, I would have canceled this reservation and gone to another hotel. Will never stay at this location again!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I love Comfort Suites Hotels, but to be honest, this one was not in the same category as most comfort suite hotels. When we first came up to our room, we turned on the air conditioner and it did not work at all. We called the front desk and was told maintenance would be up to fix it. After about 30-40 minutes later it finally just came on but maintenance didn't even come up to fix it or check on it till 2 hours later. I went into the bathroom and the tub was not clean and there was old urine spots around the base of the toilet. It was not clean either. After getting out of the shower I reached for a towel and there weren't any. Had to call front desk again and get some towels. There was no regular coffee stocked in the room by my coffeepot. There was stuff on the ceiling and the sheets would not stay on the beds. They were too small for the bed. The next morning we got up for breakfast and there was nothing hot to eat. There was no coffee, no eggs, and not even waffle mix to make a waffle. Front desk clerk had to go make some more food. It was a mess. I was not happy about the situation. I expect stuff like this from Super 8 but not Comfort Suites. On the plus side, other than the sheets coming off the bed,The bed was the most comfortable bed we have slept on in a while.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We stay at Comfort Suites all the time and this was the worst one we have ever stayed in. Walked in the beds looked like someone had already laid on them, no towels, to let paper , Kleenex, and sheets and such for pull out bed. Black ring around toilet and carpet nails sticking out that would rip our socks. To top that off, breakfast was horrible.

Stayed December 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

All in all the rooms were very nice and clean. But the front desk needs work. If i hadn't been a front Desk person all ready they would not been able to check me in right. Had to show them how to do it and when i asked for extra blanket the could not provide. Was very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ElizabethGoswick
Rene B, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Miss. Goswick,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements and trainings to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Rene Baz
Comfort Suite/University
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My family and I had always stayed in this hotel when we travel to El Paso, and I can seriously say this is the last time that I stay here. I was very disappointed in the cleanliness of the rooms and overall the service. The front desk was ok but the manager I think could have done something more to fix our situation and didn't do so. My family and I had reserved a total of 3 rooms, well turns out when we arrive that we did not get the type of room that we reserved. I spoke directly to the manager and from what I understood is he used the excuse that the corporate guests that were there the day before extended another night therefore the reason why we didn't get the type of room we reserved, one recommendation I have, don't be selling rooms that aren't available to your guest! About the cleanliness, behind the bed there was what seemed old cookies, there was pens, and notes from previous guests, I even found what seem to be a booger on the wall! The next morning I woke up to a bug bite on my back! Not good at all! Being an employee from a Choice Hotel, it is very disappointing to see something like this at another hotel!

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure you have the type of room that you reserved!