“What in the world were we thinking?!?!?”

Doubletree Hotel Little Rock
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Little Rock
Northwestern, Arkansas, United States
“What in the world were we thinking?!?!?”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I booked our room a couple of months in advance. We were meeting up with friends to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. My husband called a couple days in advance to make sure that we were all set and they said that everything was going to be perfect. My husband asked about early check-in and he was told that there was not going to be any. Ok, we thought no big deal. We had never stayed at this hotel and I guarantee you now that we never will again!!! We arrived at the hotel about 3:30 and had to wait in line for a long while before we could even get up to the desk. Our first sign to turn around and walk out the door shouldve been when we walked in and the lobby was full of restless patrons waiting patrons trying to actually get in their rooms. We said that we would give this place a chance. There were 3 receptionists there with one being the assistant manager. He could care less if he was there or not. The woman receptionist that was working the desk was getting flamed as there were several other patrons that were getting very frustrated. That shouldve been our second sign. The young boy that was there was trying to act like a professional but he was failing quite a bit. He informed us that we would be on the fourth floor with a balcony. Great (I am a smoker). He also informed us that our room was not ready as they were doing inspections to make sure the rooms were clean enough. Okay, that shouldn't be that big of a deal. He took down my husbands phone number and would call to let us know when we could get in our room. We parked our truck and sat outside for a little while. We then went to our friends room as it was hot outside. We waited until about 5:40 to call the front desk and were told that it would be about 6:00 before we could get into our room. We never did get the courtesy call that our room was going to be ready. We finally went down about 6:30 and was able to get into our room. We tried to be as pleasant as possible to the staff but our patience was wearing thin.
The rooms were decent. There was not a fridge or microwave in our room. Luckily, we didn't have any food that was going to spoil. The fresh, warm cookies left alot to be desired and caused me to have a belly ache.
The hotel staff was not pleasant at all. It took forever to get on an elevator. The hotel had so many things scheduled at once that it was crazy! There was a Swingers Convention, a Daughters of the American Revolution Convention and something else that I can't seem to remember right off hand. We even met a band member for a big band and the whole band was staying there over the weekend. That does not include all of the other patrons that were traveling and chose to stay there. There was just too many things going on at once for this hotel!!
I felt bad for all of the smokers that were not on the 4th floor. They were to keep the outside door unlocked for the smokers but didn't. They even locked the door while some people were outside smoking and patrons were hoppin the fences trying to get to the balcony so that people could let them back into the hotel.
1. This was very poor on the hotels planning.
2. The housekeepers were lazy! (By this, I mean: While we sat in the lobby for a few minutes, we literally seen a housekeeper go in a small room and get a bag of trash that literally had like 3 empty soda cans and some paper towels in it, she literally drug it across the walkway to the elevators. It weighed maybe like 8 ounces total! I did see the room inspecter and she was lolly gagging around with someone else. The housekeepers were usually just standing there.)
3. The receptionist desk was very unprofessional and rude to everyone that we seen go to the desk.
4. The elevators were hot and smelly.
5. This hotel is way over priced for the service that you get.
6. Really need to inform your patrons that you have feather pillows, my husband is severely allergic to them!!!
We stay at alot of hotels in our travels. We have even stayed very close to this hotel when we go to Little Rock for testing for my husbands job. This was a bigger and " nicer" hotel than what we usually stay in but as my husband puts it, we would rather stay in the roach hotels than this place ever again!!

Like I said earlier, we will make sure to never stay at this hotel again unless things change drastically!! Management needs to change and the whole hotel staff needs to take a few lessons from the roach hotels in politeness and planning.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!!! If you do, make sure that you get a balcony room if you smoke!!
3 Thank Amanda B
Lucylittlerock, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Little Rock, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our experience for for guest. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time your're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Oklahoma
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here on business and enjoyed the hotels great location. It put me within walking distance of the local restaurants and downtown attractions.

The rooms were clean but you could tell they are showing a little wear from age.

Overall it is a good place if you need to be close to downtown. One negative is that the shuttle was really busy while I was there. Luckily the weather was pleasant enough for me to walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I depend on TripAdvisor and saw some very bad reviews after scheduling two different stays on our way to and from Galveston, but both times were just fine. Room was spacious and clean. After driving through horrid weather, we decided to stay in and eat. My husband loved his seafood gumbo, and my chicken with olives, sundries tomatoes and artichokes was very good. Service was quick, efficient and very pleasant. I would stay and eat here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The assistant manager did not seem to care if the customer was getting what they wanted or not. He told us the room we requested was booked Friday night, but he would call our room later and let us know if it was available Saturday. He also told us he would have a refrigerator sent to our room and it was not sent. I called back down latter and a refrigerator was sent, but the asst. manager never put in the request, nor did he call to let us know if the room was available.
The lobby was full of very upset people who had been waiting hours for their rooms that had been requested months in advance. A little sense of urgency and concern on the part of the management and staff would have gone a long way in settling the guest.
We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past and never had a problem, but this was not a good stay.

1 Thank LeeAnn B
Lucylittlerock, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Little Rock, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I apologize if you found that our staff did not provide you with the level of customer service you deserve. I can assure you that your satisfaction is our main concern and I have personally spoken to our staff so that this does not occur again. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you will give us another chance to serve you. Please know that your business in incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.
Arkansas
Reviewed March 22, 2013

They didn't do what they promised. Very disappointed. I will not stay there again. The rooms weren't ready several hours after check-in time. This is the second time this hotel has done this. Hotel staff didn't care about our concerns.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 2busymama
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am an event planner and have planned many large and small events at the DoubleTree Hotel for many years. The customer service and attention to detail I receive there is outstanding! Everything is always first class and the staff does an excellent job making sure I have everything I need and in place for my clients' events. Kelly Gee and Karen Dunne go above and beyond to help me make all of my events successful. Chef does an excellent job making sure the menu is perfect. As an event planner, I need to know I can feel confident about an event and the DoubleTree staff never lets me down. From the Sales and Catering staff, to the banquet staff, to the bellhop, I am treated with respect and made to feel like they all enjoy working with me. It seems everyone there is willing to give a hand. They make my job so much easier and all my clients have been completely satisfied with the hotel.The food is wonderful and the sleeping rooms are great for out of town guests. I would highly recommend the DoubleTree for any kind of event large or small and to anyone who is visiting Little Rock.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Me and my wife decided to go to Little Rock for our 12th anniversary. We stayed at this Double Tree Hotel and that was a HUGE mistake! Our reservations were made over 2 months in advance, and when we arrived after 3pm to check in we were told rooms were not ready and they were behind. After checking back several times...patiently, we were able to check in at almost 6pm!!!!!! We then had to rush to get ready for dinner. With little time, we decided to eat in the Hotel's grille downstairs. HUGE mistake #2! The service was good in the restaraunt but the appetizers, (crabcakes) had an odor and within 30 minutes of finishing our meal, we were in the restroom passing dinner. We went out and found some entertainment and eventually returned to our room for the night. We set a wakeup call in order to make breakfast in time....Our room was not called! We got ready and left this ridiculously-run hotel for good and got breakfast elsewhere. Well....3 days LATER, there is a $35.29 charge on our bank statement from the Double Tree..(this is in addition to the regular room and dinner charges we were expecting). After calling the Hotel, they explained that this is a customary "debit card hold fee" which should "drop off" of our account in 3-5 business days. We were NOT aware of such a policy..Yet another way this Hotel has disappointed us!!!

Room Tip: don't stay at the Double Tree in Little Rock...period!
3 Thank Brian W
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our hotel. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you're in town.