“Excellent Windowless Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“Excellent Windowless Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My 10 year old and I stayed one night at what appeared like a brand new hotel given room 127. It was a great value for $67 with complimentary parking and wireless. Breakfast was $9.95 per person for the buffet, which we skipped and instead opted for the Waffle House across the street. The only thing I missed not having in the room was a refrigerator...and a window. As a Priceline customer, I understand that full price customers may be assigned the better rooms. However, I don't understand being assigned a virtually windowless room where 2/3 of the view is the sky and the other 1/3 is the stacks of HVAC on the roof. It felt like a half-basement hotel. We were initially assigned to room 217, but the key cards did not work and we had to go back down to the lobby with our luggage. After seeing 127, I wished that our key cards had worked on the second floor. The Boston Gourmet Pizza in the hotel had good food, but less than desirable service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 3onaTrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel on May 17 of this year. My first impression of the hotel was poor; the front desk attendant behaved as if my presence inconvenienced him. He couldn't be bothered to get out of his seat until it was time to hand over the room key.

My next stop was my room, which was hot and stiflingly humid. For some reason, despite the fact that the hotel was nowhere near full occupancy, the attendant assigned a hearing-impaired room to me. What if a hearing-impaired person actually needed the room? I dropped my bags, then proceeded to the hotel's restaurant, Boston's, to place a carryout order. When I arrived, I expected to see a host/hostess, but there was none present. I walked to the bar and asked whether i could place my order there. The friendly bartender instructed me to place my order with the hostess, who slowly shuffled back to the front.

Just as with the front desk attendant, the hostess was indifferent; she had no interest in taking my order. I gave up on her, so I went back to the bar; the bartender was sympathetic and took my order. Once I returned to my room, I noticed that my steamed broccoli was still in a plastic bag marked with the day of the week (but not the date) on which it was prepared.

I walked down to the vending/ice area with ice bucket in hand; I was unprepared for what I would see next: A large amount of mold growing in and around the drain of the ice machine. It appeared as if the hotel neglected to clean the machine for a significant period of time. Naturally, I elected not to take or use ice from the machine.

I wondered aloud: If the hotel missed such a glaring problem, what else did they miss? I did my best to touch as little as possible in the room.

The next morning, I was looking forward to a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, the coffee maker was very close to the toilet and there was a long, dark hair in the water reservoir (mine is short and light).

I did meet one pleasant staff member - the front desk attendant at the time I checked out. She was actually very friendly!

Although this hotel is very convenient due to its proximity to the airport, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JSt1984
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Little Rock-Airport-Conf Ctr, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear JSt1984,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We are sorry to hear of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here May 28th and had a great experience. We booked thru the Priceline site and did an Express deal so we got the room for $51! When we got the the hotel to check in we were treated by Amber. She was happy to help me find an accessible room since I had a elec. wheelchair. She even called maintenance to go check and make sure it had a roll in shower. She was happy to answer all our questions too. When we got to our room it was very nice. Not outdated at all. The bathroom was HUGE! There was a small shelf in the bathroom with all kinds of little extras like a shoe buffer, a grooming kit, shower cap, and lots of soap, shampoo, and conditioner. The room had a nice Kruieg coffee maker and lots of free HBO channels. For dinner we went down to the in hotel restaurant called Boston's. it was awesome. The waitress, Tia, was great and the food was really good. We had pizza that was amazing and our kids had spaghetti and meatballs. The kids even got the choice of having special drinks like Shirley Temples and sour apple soda as their free drinks. All the staff there and at the hotel were real nice! At breakfast there was lots to choose from at the breakfast buffet that was included free with our Priceline package. Some adult guests didn't get free breakfast but I don't know where they booked from. But I do think kids are free no matter what. Both the restaurant and the breakfast wasn't very busy but I liked that aspect myself. It really is super close to the Airport and the freeway with practically no traffic so getting on and off was super easy. Our destination was downtown but our drive there was a breeze too! I will absolutely stay here again!!! No question! :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Amberly V
Kennett, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The room was very clean. The bedding was decent so we slept well here. The wireless was just okay (down 1, up 750). I'm not sure it would have been good enough for business use. (We were here just to fly out early the next morning.) The porter helped us with the baggage. The ribs on the concierge floor in the evening along with the wine was an unexpected treat. The ribs were actually very good, and we live in BBQ country! There were two doors to our room which seems like an odd design. We kept the fan on the AC on to reduce any hallway noise and, therefore, did not hear any. Parking is $10 flat if you fly regardless of the number of days you're gone on your trip. The folks at the front desk are pleasant and efficient. The room was a good size for two people. We didn't eat breakfast here or use their exercise facilities. They picked us up promptly at the airport on our return from our trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMTurnbow
Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while traveling across the country with my two cats. This hotel charges a non-refundable $25 pet fee which is a very good value since Marriott hotels charge $100. This hotel had extremely helpful staff and they helped me get a room near a main door on the first floor. I had to carry in the cats in two individual cat-carriers, plus my suitcase, so this was a real benefit not to walk to far to my room. I'd definitely stay at this clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff that takes pets!

Room Tip: There is a limited choice of nearby restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JoAnne M
Boston, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at this location for 2 nights and on the second night they were hosting a reception in their Ball room or whatever they call it that is behind the front desk area and central to the Hotel.

my room had an interior corridor door, and a GLASS WALL that adjoined this atrium where this event was being held. the first night was OK I arrived late, the front desk were as courteous as you would expect at 11PM. The internet SUCKED and made emailing for work impossible. I ended up tethering it with my smart phone to be able to perform my work.

the second night I arrived back at the hotel at 6PM, there was a "buzz" of people in the atrium area. was like a dull roar. you had the occasional drunk person run by the room hollering about "come to my hospitality suite, I got booze for everyone!" and THEN the band they hired started playing. they had NO volume control. it sounded like they thought they were playing to a packed arena. this went on until at least midnight.

I had a 5:20AM flight home and ended up not sleeping at all because for the 2 hours after the band quit wailing, I heard them and everyone else stomping around putting up tables, running into walls etc. it was peaceful and quiet at 4AM when I had to go to the front desk to get my receipt. if only it was like that 10 hours previous when I was trying to go to sleep.

Room Tip: make sure the room is an exterior room, if not you will have to deal with what I dealt with if they...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Benjamin31626
jewelljane, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Little Rock-Airport-Conf Ctr, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Your review made our Executive Committee really take note. We do have a strict policy about the evening noise level in our atrium and are not finished with our investigation of your complaint. I can tell you that the band was for a group in our Ballroom, so you are correct - the volume had to have been turned up for you to hear it in your hotel room. We just have never had anyone tell us that they heard the music that was so far away before, wow I can't imagine being right in the ballroom with them as those hundred people were. The band did finish at 10pm according to the group and our employees, however, I know that at that point you probably didn't care what time it was - you were just so tired. Knowing music lovers I would also guess that their 10pm was a little later as you stated, sometimes they get so involved in their music that they forget the time.

I apologize to you about the inconvenience. I so know that it would have been another inconvenience for you to have to move to another area of the hotel at 9pm at night, but we would have been happy to so that you could have rested.

Please give us another chance to serve you so that we can make it up to you. My office is right behind the front desk and I would love to talk to you and make amends the next time you are in our area.
buckypeekn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Unfortunately, I have to write a not so nice review. For those of you that have seen my other reviews, you know what this rarely happens. First off, the front desk staff was rude.... they barely addressed me and continued on conversations with each other. When she handed me the keys, I asked which room and I was told to look at my keys. When I got to my room, keys did not work. I went back down and she informed me that I need not come to the front desk with issues.... I should find a service phone. Well, excuse me. Again, keys do not work. * I find a service phone* At least the maintenance man that fixed the key reader was prompt and kind. My room is nice and has a Keurig, have to love that! But my view.... the roof. Also I could not figure out how to close the blinds (but I am blonde). These two things combined equaled me getting waken up in the AM to 3 men on the roof doing repairs outside my open window.... and I don’t sleep with much on! The plan was to do work in my room on my laptop (since the front desk never mentioned anything about breakfast) but the internet was spotty at best! I had to log in and out about 20 times. Oh, and to top it off.... the parking lot smells like sewage. Saving grace would be the attached restaurant, Boston's. It was great food, drinks and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Two types of rooms, interior and exterior.... interior have double doors and face atrium (would be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank buckypeekn
jewelljane, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Little Rock-Airport-Conf Ctr, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Although you said you wrote a "not so Nice review", I was so happy to read some positive things that you had to say about us and I thank you for being honest. Our rooms are lovely and I totally agree on the Keurig, you are so right about Boston's Restaurant and Sports Bar - it is a huge plus for us. Even when you mentioned the security issues of not announcing your room number and asking you to use the service phone for your convenience...the policy is good, but obviously it was the manner in which it was communicated to you that we messed up on. That customer service is normally what we pride ourselves on, so we must have really been having an "off" evening at our point of contact and I sincerely apologize to you for that.

We know that you can stay in a number of other great hotels in Little Rock and that is why so much of our training is on making sure the customer is treated with respect and kindness. In your case I think we were concentrating on security issues instead of you, as the guest that we needed to make feel at home. I hope that you will give us a second chance to prove to you that we really do know how to be as friendly as our awards indicate. Thank you for your constructive comments, we will take them to heart I promise.