“Old charm”

Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Little Rock
westchester county, ny
“Old charm”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Lovely old historic hotel in the heart of downtown Little Rock. Standard rooms are very tiny. Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are also very small. No gym on the premises..need to go across the street. Good hotel - not great.... expensive for what you get.

1 Thank dh24yaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have not a single complaint about this hotel. It was wonderful. Frome the moment you arrive until the moment that you leave, you feel like an honored gust. In fact, I would go back to Little Rock just to stay at this hotel. The staff is friendly and very helpful. I have always thought that the Four Seasons hotels had the best trained staffs, but they are not any better than the staff at the Capital Hotel. Our room, which was a king suite, was huge and absolutely charming. High ceilings, a four poster bed, a table that seats four people, and a sitting area. The linens and towels are first class. The bathroom also was huge with both a large tub and a large walk in shower. It had two sinks and the toilet is in a separate closet. Fantastic. My husband and I agree that we have never stayed at a better hotel.

Plan a trip to Little Rock so that you have a reason to stay at this hotel.

3 Thank jscottjoplin
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was a splurge for us and it was well worth it! Check in was a "non check in". Dee, our lovely concierge met us as we entered the door and promptly showed us to our room. She was delightful and gracious. The lobby was beautiful. Plenty of comfortable seating yet not overdone and stuffy.

Our 4th floor room was large with very high ceilings which made it feel even larger. We had 2 big windows that overlooked the courtyard and let lots of sunlight in. In our King room we had a desk and a table with chairs. That is where our complimentary bottle of chilled spring water and jar of yummy spiced pecans greeted us. The room was wonderful. Bathroom was equally as nice. Spacious with Molton Brown products. And a good shower head (important to me). Big closet with all the standard amenities. But also a flashlight and umbrella. It felt like no stone was unturned.

We had drinks in their bar which was bustling on this Saturday evening. Fun drinks menu but pricey. It was actually a Bar and Grill but we only drank. Grill menu looked good though.

After being out for the evening we came back to a turned down room. A lovey touch and yes we enjoyed the toffee that was left on our pillow. Again with the details...

We did enjoy the breakfast we had at their other restaurant, Ashley's. Excellent food and excellent service. They have a molasses butter that is not to be missed. We each had the traditional breakfast which included their tasty grits. My poached eggs were cooked perfectly and my husband LOVED their bacon. After breakfast we took our coffee and tea and relaxed a bit longer on the second floor balcony. It wasn't so hot yet and we loved extending our splurge a little longer.

Our experience at The Capital was terrific. The service from start to finish was amazing while being understated. As it should be. They have customer service figured out. And that is what truly makes or breaks a historic hotel like this.

Tennessee
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Good: The service is fantastic. There is no traditional check-in. Instead, an employee meets you at the door and escorts you and your luggage to your room. Once in your room, the employee telephones an operator with your credit card information and answers any questions you may have about the room. My room came with complimentary bottles of water, some delivious candy brittle, and an ice bucket pre-filled with ice. My room on the fourth floor was fantastic. The linens were great and luxurious, the room was spacious, and the bathroom was very, very large. I was on a corner of the building, so there was lots of light and extremely tall windows (I think the ceiling was 14 ft.) Also, the Molton Brown toiletries are very nice.

The Bad: There is viturally no view. The Marriott is directly across the street and it basically blocks all river views.

The So/So: While the bathroom was large, it's decor is a little bit dated. I was traveling alone, but the sink and bathroom area were large enough for my whole family to have moved around freely, so functionality wasn't an issue at all. It was, however, decorated with community shower style mini-tiles that are likely from the 70s. As wonderful as the hotel staff is (they are great), there is a hard to place stale quality to the in-room decor.

If you ever find yourself in downtown Little Rock, the Capital is an absolute must. The people are fantastic, the hotel is spacious, the location cannnot be beat, and the entire experience is utterly charming. It very often draws comparisons to the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville and now I see why. The Hermitage is a bit grander and seems twice as large at least, but the Capital is without a doubt a great comparison.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

In an era of chain hotels gouging , this hotel is a generous grand dame. Like the best hotels in Asia it exudes an elegant past and doesn't mind anticipating your needs.The interior and charm is all South but its the details that make this place a unique beginning with the flowers and lobby. In room: The deepest slippers, the Frette gowns, the lemonade in the lobby, the lounge on the mezzanine. It is not a tower block and no it doesn't have a gym or pool on site but who wants one when you step back to a simpler time. The rooms are large and the interior and bed comfortable, southern comfort... Love it!

Room Tip: Junior suite 340
La Quinta, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

In sleepy Little Rock AR exists an unbelievable luxury hotel. Large rooms, exquisite sheets and towels, every amenity imaginable including a large supply of tasty peanut brittle at turndown. The bar is active with an incredible wine and whiskey by the glass. The restaurant is delicious for a fancy dinner or a down home AR breakfast with grits. Don't miss it if your plans call for Little Rock AR

Room Tip: all rooms are terrific
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Recently stayed a night here to celebrate my birthday (staycation . . . night away from the kids). No check-in lines . . . right to the room to start relaxing. Was pleasantly surprised that they had given us a FREE UPGRADE to their suite with a soaker tub. I think the hotel is always trying to exceed your expectations when they can. The room is a "no expense spared" kind of room while keeping the historic, southern luxury feel (the bed and bathroom were amazing . . . soaker tub with the Molton Brown bubble bath were a highlight . . . smells SO GOOD). Room had amazing complimentary spicy/sweet pecans that are addictive and lots of FREE bottled water/ice. Soon after settling in, "Suite Services" brought us a complimentary bottle of champagne, cheese plate, etc. . . again, unbelievable! We were also given a late check-out of 1:00 p.m. no problems, no questions asked. I think we could have asked for 5:00 p.m. and if they could, they would have made it work! I always try to stay at the most expensive luxury hotels my pocketbook will allow . . you CAN'T beat the value of this hotel. Both restaurants in the hotel are good . . . . can't go wrong with either of them. In fact, Ashley's is my go to restaurant on special occasions. Don't miss the banana pudding or the pimento cheese and crackers @ The Capital Bar & Grill. I always leave this place thinking . . . how can this place make a profit? It just never stops giving to it's customers . . . in quality and service.

If I had to improve on anything, it would be Pay-Per-View movies in the room. We have young kids and don't get to see a lot of movies. I also would like some sort of mini-bar in the room . . mainly b/c I am a bit of a recluse and don't want to have to see anyone if I can help it. Sometimes a girl just needs a Diet Coke -ha!

STAY HERE . . . you will come back over and over again! I'll see you there.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool in this hotel. The fitness center is close by but NOT in the hotel (as fa...
1 Thank kwblack