“My UPDATE: All Was Very Well”
Review of Ashley's At the Capital - CLOSED

Ashley's At the Capital
Cuisines: American, Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Louisiana
Paris, France
“My UPDATE: All Was Very Well”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

At the invitation of the Capital Hotel, my family and I returned to Ashley's At the Capital Hotel on Friday evening, June 7th, 2013. Ashley's kindly bought our meal, and we bought our wine.

I'm happy to say that we had a delightful dinner! Not totally flawless but lovely, fun, and delicious. The chicken liver parfait with tiny darling baguette and the abalone were the highlights of our appetizers. The abalone sliced ever so thinly with a paper-thin slice of truffle was perfect, special. It really got our attention.

An individual cast iron pan of cornbread was also delivered to our table. It was presented rather like an amuse bouche--and tasted like sort of a cross between traditional Southern cornbread and spoon bread. We all loved it.

My daughters' and my favorite main course was a classic French lamb (like a 7 hour but with the chef's individual touch). I've never had a better one. Two of us ordered scallops, and they came with one side gorgeously caramelized. We were sorry no one tried the lobster fricassee, and if any had been inclined to beef, the steak with foie gras looked wonderful.

The desserts were such a fun and delicious course. We tried almost the entire menu. My favorites were the Strawberry Sundae and Mocha-Caramel Semifreddo, but all the desserts were quite yummy. The French chef obviously has a nose for them. The cheesecake (not a regular one at that) was delish and count the apple pie--more like tart--in as well. I would've been delighted with either. In fact, which dessert wouldn't I have been happy with? I think none.

We left the restaurant feeling like we'd had a very special experience.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Galveston, Texas
“Wine pairing was perfection”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Peabody was bigger and very impressive, especially because they have the ducks, but this was a great experience at a beautiful hotel and this was about the best meal my wife and I ever had at a restaurant. The wines paired perfectly with the meals and the food was very well prepared. First time we experienced bacon marmalade. We were pleasantly surprised and we'd do this again just to have this dining experience again. Thank you Capital Hotel and thanks to Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers for bringing us to LR Ark for the experience. Best live show ever plus the best dinner ever.

• Visited July 2012
Port Wentworth, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Lunch & Great Service!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was looking for a great place to enjoy a delicious, unique lunch and Ashley's did not dissappoint! The service was very friendly and was very helpful with the questions I had about the Little Rock area. I loved the Cold Asparagus Soup to begin with! I also had a delicious Scallop plate that melted in my mouth! I would definitely recommend stopping by this restaurant if you would like to admire the historic architecture in a beautiful historic hotel!

• Visited May 2013
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“What a breakfast...”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Simply a fantastic breakfast experience. My family views this meal as the most important one of the day, and we are not easy to please. Between the pastries, pancakes, eggs, fruits, and meats, we came away quite pleased. As you might expect with a Capital Hotel restaurant, the customer service was fantastic. Even if you're not staying at the hotel, this restaurant is worth a visit.

• Visited October 2012
Paris, France
“Ashley's is NOT what it should be”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Capital Hotel is the nicest hotel in Little Rock. 4 or 5 stars, historic and beautifully renovated. The Capital Bar is a terrific place to have a drink, lunch, or dinner. The evening jazz is divine, a most pleasant experience.

Ashley's is the fine dining restaurant and had an impeccable reputation until the chef left last year.

But I went to Ashley's for breakfast with my family last week. The hostess and servers didn't know the correct protocol for seating, handing menus to ladies, and ordering with ladies first, etc. This is NOT what a restaurant in a 4 or 5 star hotel should be like. The staff obviously hadn't been trained properly. A restaurant in a hotel with this many stars should have a properly trained staff so that dining there is a bit of luxury--and not like you're in any ole restaurant on Clinton Boulevard down the street.

When the food FINALLY arrived (the people behind us were served way before we were), the food was so-so at best. Mediocre. My brother's grits in his Irish breakfast weren't cooked properly. My husband's omelet was only okay. My nephew didn't eat half of his biscuits and gravy. No butter was served with the toast and biscuits. Excuse me, but how hard is it to do breakfast? Not. And the restaurant wasn't busy. The coffee cups were put on the wrong side of every diner. There was no reason for such poor execution and service. Servers also didn't understand the correct protocol for clearing the table.

If this is the way the food and service is in what is supposed to be the finest restaurant in Little Rock the rest of the day, save your money. Go to the bar instead. At least, it's more casual--and you're not expecting the same level of service. In my experience, the food was better as well.

What a shame for Little Rock for the Capital to have descended so far.

• Visited May 2013