“Don't miss out on this zoo, make up your own mind”
Review of Little Rock Zoo

Little Rock Zoo
Ranked #22 of 106 things to do in Little Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: The Little Rock Zoo creates engaging experiences that inspire people to value and conserve the natural world. With more than 500 animals representing 200 different species, many of which are endangered, the Little Rock Zoo is the only zoo in the state of Arkansas accredited by the prestigious Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The Zoo features noted habitats such as the Laura P. Nichols Penguin Pointe exhibit with underwater viewing of African Penguins as well as the Arkansas Heritage Farm with numerous heritage breed animals that can be fed and touched. The Zoo's beautiful Cafe Africa looks like a stone style African lodge and features great food for any pallet. The Zoo's Conservation Education Center is always hosting interesting programs inside the park including shows on the amphitheater stage, animal meet-n-greets throughout the park and other fun activities. Check-out the Zoo website for a full listing of upcoming activities and events!
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I recently re-visited the LR Zoo for the second time in two weeks. I loved it even more the second time! I am from Memphis and we have a marvelous zoo. My friend Jenni had been to LR Zoo and was so surprised at the many negative reviews that she had seen. She invited me to join her one Tuesday; so we took off from work and made the 2 1/2 hour journey, so worth it! I didn't understand the negative reviews either. I thought the exhibits were open and very natural, it was nice to see that it was considered that a animal has to live here so lets make it spacious and pleasant when we can and small and comfy when needed. That together with the use of water and animal themed poetry make this zoo flow as you walk around this wonderful place. There are muliple viewing sites and on different levels for some of the exhibits which added a new perspective at each stop.
The fee to get in was reasonable and the food available, around the same as any of the other zoos I have been able to visit. We found the staff very pleasant. The first time we went was on a Tuesday and it was a little chilly, many fo the animals were still out an about though and the zoo keepers attending to their daily duties of caring for these amazing animals. We were at the North American Otters and one of the keepers was cleaning the exhibit next to us and since Jenni and I are big fans of Otters I took this opprotunity to ask her some questions. She was happy to answer and even knew about the Asian Otters we have in Memphis. It was a great encounter.
I did want to mention that in several reviews I noticed comments regarding animals not being outside or visible. To this I simply wanted to make the point that when it is extreme weather be it hot or cold, it is always a toss up. Do we not seek out our heaters and AC in extreme weather? It is only fair to the animals to have that same choice. Just please remember to check out the weather prior to visiting any zoo. It gets very hot in Little Rock and Memphis as well as a couple of months of extreme cold.
Now to the animals! It was such a treat coming from memphis to find that LR has made a great effort to have several different animals than the ones in Memphis. Being only 2 1/2 hours away it was a great way to plan. Just to "name" a few of the animals; there is a Spotted and Black Jaguar, many different primates, 4 different types of Bears and Lemurs. They make an effort to show you animals native to Arkansas like Foxes and Bobcats.They have recently completed a new exhibit for their Penguins, Penguin Pointe; where you can see these animals gracefully move through the water and bob on top of it.
If you the the chance be sure to visit this wonderful Zoo, they have plans for new exhibits in the future and I know I will return soon.

4  Thank Fable27
in 16 reviews
"great apes"
"smaller town"
in 4 reviews
"great place to take the kids"
"a lot of fun"
in 10 reviews
in 115 reviews
in 12 reviews

Reviewed January 1, 2011

We arrived at the zoo about two hours before they closed. I asked if they would advise that we come back a different time, but they assured us that the animals would be out for the next hour and a half, so we could continue. One and a half hours should be enough time to get through the zoo with a two year old. Well, I looked at the map of the zoo, and I couldn't believe how few animals that there were. A half hour would've been enough time to go through a zoo that small. Well, it didn't matter, there weren't any animals out anyways. We went through for about an hour and saw no elephant, no bears, no otters, no prarie dogs. No anything... save for one lion. Avoid this zoo and find a real one. It will be worth the drive somewhere else.

1  Thank ccatania
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We visited on spring break and were the 1st ones in the gate on a weekday. It was about 1.5 hours before we saw any other visitors. It was really neat to have the zoo all to ourselves.

They have a good variety of animals and things to keep you busy. I'm from Milwaukee and this zoo is on par with the better ones that I've been to.

They have a carousel called "over the jumps" that our girls just loved. Since traffic in the zoo was slow the ride operator let our kids ride quite long for their moneys worth. We were the only family on the ride and we were screaming and hollering to attract others to the ride. It worked! No family with kids made it past without stopping for a ride.

Our girls had the most fun feeding the waterfowl and the fish. Some of the fish in the lake are over 50lbs. they came to the surface for the food and were competing with the birds for the food our kids tossed. A pelican grabbed one of the fish for a meal but it was way too large to lift out of the water. The splashing was quite entertaining.

The zoo is very well laid out and some of the elevated views of the big cats were very impressive.

If you have a family and are in Little Rioc for the day this zoo is worth your time and money.

4  Thank wiscDAD
Reviewed September 23, 2010

This zoo is getting alot of undeserved negativity! I just went today and I think this zoo is great......and they have so much potential! I saw no sad, depressed animals or rude employees! The heat kept some animals away, but that's expected and no fault of the zoos! The exhibits are expansive and I love how they kept the trees, bushes and other plant life there to really make it more natural for the animals. I can't wait for the new penguin exhibit and hope some day they get the funds to give the bears more room! But I saw animals we don't have at the Memphis zoo so I thoroughly enjoyed it! Good job guys!

3  Thank Bohatchlady