“A Happening Place”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A Happening Place”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had a terrific informal dinner at the Bar on the night that we arrived in Little Rock. The food was really delicious and the atmosphere was great. The bar was full and people were having a great time - - a noisy fun place. We felt as if we could have been in New York!

Truckee, California
“Nice city bar. Good service”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great wine selection, good service. The night I was there a New Orleans Jazz combo played from 6-9 pm.

They serve food too. Across the hall is Ashley's restaurant a 5 star in my opinion.

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Southern Food with Elegance!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The menu has all your southern favorites but it's QUALITY and delicious! Don't miss the Pimento Cheese and homemade soda crackers, Cuban sandwich, and Banana Pudding for dessert.

Littleton, Colorado
“The Capital Bar & Grill is pretty much perfect....”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We enjoyed every single meal, drink, and dessert we had during our four visits to the Capital Bar & Grill...we had lunch twice and dinner twice at this restaurant during the week we stayed in Little Rock...it was that good!
TCB & G is a standout because every single thing they serve, they make special with extra touches...they do those little extra things to make standard dishes perfect and not just the same ho-hum thing. They call their cuisine New Americana...and it is in that they take standard things and make them interesting again! For example, they serve a fantastic made-from-scratch banana pudding and the Nilla wafers are homemade. The whipped cream on the homemade brown sugar pie is flavored with just a touch of bourbon - making both of the desserts wonderful.
I got stuck on a unique sandwich they serve called Smoked Catfish Burger with Chow Chow tartar sauce....the burger is actually a patty of large chunks of smoked catfish seared on both sides and served on a soft bun (the buns are soft and fresh and not those thick, hard buns that are almost impossible to bite through). It was so simple but unusual...so good and only $10. My teen age son had the Country Fried Steak ($17), it was cooked perfectly, very large, and he loved it. Between the three of us, during our four visits we also tried their Cuban sandwich, hamburger, grilled pork chop, grilled pimento sandwich, grilled chicken, and several desserts, salads, soups and appetizers....the sides were just as fresh and unique as the sandwiches and entrees....homemade squash casserole, spicy chips, seasoned/spicy fresh French fries, salads with fresh in-house dressings, there was a zucchini & potato soup that we ended up ordering three times....every single thing was spot on the mark!
Take their iced tea for instance (I'm a sweet tea lover)..... when you ask for sweet tea they bring freshly brewed tea that's strong and they don't let it get watered down with ice, and - most impressive of all to me - they give you your own little pitcher of simple syrup so you can sweeten your iced tea yourself to just the degree you like....and I got a kick out of this because any true sweet tea devotee knows that sweet tea just doesn't turn out right if you have to try to stir sugar into a cold glass of tea. Besides, (now don't think I'm getting flaky here).....there is something so aesthetically pleasing about how they present it to you (see my photo!). This kind of thing is what I appreciate about the Capital Bar & Grill...they took a simple thing like a fresh glass of tea and made it special and unique....
Let's see...oh, and their drinks were perfect too. It's amazingly difficult to find a classic Mint Julep these days (well, at least here where we live in Littleton, CO) but they're made perfectly at TCB & G. We also thought their Martinis were great as was a house drink called a "Cropduster". The drinks are somewhat pricey, but they were so good....I think the Martinis were $10 and the Cropdusters were $12...most of their mixed drinks run $12 and wine averages $8 to $10 a glass.
The ambience is casual and elegant, the bar itself is beautiful (the waiter brought us a bowl of their complimentary Fried Black-Eyed Peas they make as a bar snack when we asked about them). The staff is attentive and friendly (I was a little worried it would be stiff or too formal - the restaurant is in a sophisticated, upscale hotel) but it was a warm and inviting atmosphere. A restaurant like this makes you realize that it takes thought and attention by the chef and management to make a restaurant special such as this one is. So, in all, it was quite a happy discovery for us....we were fortunate in that we discovered it on the 4th of July, so it wasn't crowded on the days we visited...

• Visited July 2013
“Just stopped in for dessert and coffee”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Fantastic ambience including a jazz trio added to our celebration. I had the brown sugar pie with bourbon whipped cream. Yum! My mouth is watering remembering it. Our friendly server refilled my cup not seeming to mind we were not spending the big bucks. In fact, everything was very reasonably priced. I will definitely come back here for a sandwich or some of the other things for which the Grill is known.