“Packed in like rats”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Packed in like rats”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

The tables are so close together you can eat off the neighbors plate. Beware! food is ok but the side area is way too crowded. So that really affected my experience here

Belle Chasse, Louisiana
“Amazing place to dine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

This is my second time visiting the location. I was greeted at the door and felt very welcome. My server was outstanding! She took the time to explain how things worked, and was very attentive. I highly recommend this place!

• Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Fun and Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This chain is like a stir-fry buffet, where you put all the ingredients that you want into your bowl and then give it to the cooks. First you choose your protein, then your dry seasonings, then vegetables, then sauce. You select your starch when you turn in your bowl for cooking. It’s fun, and you know exactly what you’re getting since you’ve put it together yourself. It may take going a few times to be familiar enough with the ingredients to come up with a combination that you really like. The trick is to remember that the ingredients cook down, so you need to put more than you think in your bowl.

The seating at this location is pretty cramped. It wasn’t crowded when we were here this time, but I’ve been here before when it’s been hard to move around. All the food compartments were well-stocked on this visit, but I was disappointed to see a notice on our table that they no longer carry shrimp. The food bar area was clean on this visit. Draft beers were huge. We all ordered Kirin Ichibans, and I just managed to finish mine before we left.

The one glitch during our visit was that the guys doing the cooking took my bowl much later than the rest of my family, even though we were all standing there together. I didn’t get to sit down as soon as they did and got my food later than they did. It would be nice if they could work out some system so that people who are all at one table could be taken care of at the same time.

• Visited January 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Culinary Student's Experience at Genghis Grill”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

November 9, 2013
I'm currently studying Culinary Arts, here in Little Rock. My first and last experience at Genghis Grill violates practically every food safety practice I have been learning in basic Safe Serve classes. To explain, I would like to provide an un-biased, full walkthrough of my experience. A weekly coupon in the mail prompted me to visit. When I first walked in, the floors, I could tell were not cleaned with the proper solutions, or perhaps not cleaned at all because they were sticky throughout. My server took my drink order, explained the concept of the restaurant and then walked us over to the food bar. At the beginning of the buffet, there was an abundance of raw meats; pork, poultry and seafood. Basic food safety requires each of these meats to be held at different temperatures - poultry and red meats at 41f or below and shellfish and seafoods at 45f or below - however, each of these raw meats were placed, unorganized and uncovered, in the same area of the buffet. The plastic tongs - from the tong to the handle - were sticky and covered with remnants and juices of the proteins they were to be handling. I noticed meats that fell into other containers, for example, scallops in the turkey, and pulled pork in the chicken. In the next area of the buffet, there were precut vegetables, and I noticed people using the tongs to stuff down their choice of "fresh" veggies into their small and typically over-stuffed bowls of raw meat. Lastly, they had more veggies (same problem) and finally, sauces. These sauces did have a list of food allergens under the title, however, I had to be extra careful not to drip my ladle full of “gluten friendly” sauce into the container of sauce in front of it. I noticed that all four stations, especially the sauce station was covered in droppings from previous customers, and that there was only one employee (other than those working the grill) who was monitoring the food bar station. When finished creating, I put my bowl of raw food on a counter, along with at least five other bowls (I dined at a time when they were not busy, maybe 20 people total in the restaurant) and was handed a card with a number on it. I returned to my table to find my drink waiting for me. From the second I saw the food service, I was weary of receiving my food until talking with a neighboring table (a woman with a young daughter) who told me that they enjoyed their meals the few previous time they dined there. I received my food in a timely manner, my waitress was accommodating and friendly, for the person I dined with inedibly over-spiced her bowl and had to ask for another. The chicken in her second bowl was overcooked. My food came out steaming hot and with good flavors, but was inconsistently cooked. This makes sense, because (the customer can see that) all the ingredients chosen for the bowls are dumped onto the large, hot grill plate simultaneously. Common sense tells us that ingredients, such as thinly sliced onions, chicken and scallops should have different cooking times. But with a mixed bowl full raw ingredients, it’s inevitably impossible to assure the proper cooking times let alone, the proper procedures for each item served; from the times they are prepared, held, and finally cooked. My opinion of Genghis Grill, collectively, is lower than that of any restaurant I’ve ever been to, and every food practice I’ve ever witnessed. If they continue their build-your-own concept, I believe that at the very least, the raw proteins should be handled by employees and customer access be restricted.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Alaska K
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Nice price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Nice food there and I especially like the sause. I think Asian are familar with the taste. You can build your favourite.

Visited August 2013