“Smelly room”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Little Rock
Reviewed June 11, 2012

When we opened the door to our room, it was hot because the window was open. It was clear why, however, because the room smelled musty and damp, like a cheap motel. I called the front desk to ask for another room, and asked the attendant to have someone come up to smell to see what I was talking about. She said no, she believed me, a strange response. As soon as you open the door, the smell hit you. There was no way I would have felt comfortable with my 1 year old grandchild playing in the room. It appeared the smell was coming from the carpet, which was also worn and badly buckled, a tripping hazard for a toddler, but I noticed the armchair in the living room was also dirty and smelly, like way too many people had used it.
They let us move to a room down the hall. When the front desk attendant came up to bring the new key, I asked her again to just step in and see (smell) what I was talking about. She insisted that no, she believed me.
That got me to thinking. If housekeeping left the window open and curtains blowing to air out the room, then they knew about the old, stale, musty smell. If they knew, then the front desk attendant knew also. So---why did they put us in that room in the first place when there were many other rooms available? You cannot make me believe that the front desk personnel are not kept aware of the rooms in poor condition.
We had quite a bit to move, and it was a downer for us. I simply cannot believe that Embassy Suites, which was such a nice place when it opened, has not kept its room maintenance up very well.

Breakfast was ok, not as good as it used to be. There was a fly bothering us, and the next table, persistently. My daughter asked the breakfast attendant whether they had fly swats (which I'm sure they did not want anyone to see them using). The attendant smiled, said no, and just kept on doing what she was doing, even though she saw the pesky fly also, kind of a "there's nothing we can do about that" response. We all spent a lot of time swating at the fly to keep it off of our food.

Finally, I don't know who chose the tv service, but there is not a good selection of channels, unless you're a big sports fan. I'm a female and I like baseball and other sports, just not on so many channels. Oh, and we called front desk to get someone to unstop the toilet this morning. It never flushed properly. After waiting over 30 minutes, we had to call them again. A stopped up toilet first thing in the morning with everybody waking up is something you attend to right away. They did come within ten minutes of the second call, however.

My son had at least 3 birthday parties at this same hotel years ago, and I was much more impressed then.

To their credit, the business center is nice, along with the fish pool. I am primarily a Marriott Rewards member, but did have a few Hilton points that I used for this stay. It cost me 15,000 points plus $56.00 for one night at Embassy Suites, while there were at least three Marriotts where we could have stayed for only 10,000 points and no money. We chose Embassy Suites becuase of the extra room and breakfast. I did not make a good decision. We could have had a clean room with $56.00 still in our pockets and more points left, and even a decent breakfast. I will know next time.

Room Tip: After you get your room key, just go to the room and check it out before you lug all of your belongi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
LITCPGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear A G,

Thank you for taking your time out to write about your recent stay with us in TripAdvisor. I apologize that it did not exceed your expectations. I appreciate being made aware of our shortcomings so that we may address the issues that come up. I will be researching the reason for your room being "musty" upon your arrival but I'm not surprised if the window was left open for any period during a humid day. This of course should not be the case of a room that is Ready for guest occupancy and I again apologize for that.

We do certainly employ a very reputable Pest Service that truly does an exceptional job for us. I apologize that there were flies in the Atrium during your breakfast time and we will continue to work to eliminate all pests from getting into our building.

I appreciate your feedback on our TV Channel selection. Our Corporate team tries hard to select a cross section of channels to cover all interests but I will most certainly be sharing your feedback with them as well so that we may consider other options.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. If you would like to share any further feedback with me in regard to your stay please feel free to contact me directly or via email. Also if you are in the area again and have need for accommodations please feel free to contact me personally so that I can ensure your next stay goes smoothly.

Roger.Brown@jqh.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel exceeded our expectations - and we had high expectations. The staff is friendly and attentive to you the moment that you step in the door. Our suite was clean and inviting. The atrium is gorgeous and the "atmosphere" is classy.

What we loved the most was the "family friendly" culture of this hotel, with a pool with kids water toys and a well-maintained whirlpool and sauna. The breakfast in the morning was incredible as there were "made-to-order" omelettes and a wide variety of fruit, eggs, diced potatoes, pancakes and a host of other items with four kinds of juices/beverages.

We will definitely stay here again. We just think our whole experience here was more than worth what we paid to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark K
Pennstr, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you greatly for taking your time out to write about us in TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your kind words about our products and services. We value your business and appreciate your choosing to stay with us in Little Rock.

If your travels bring you back to Little Rock for business or pleasure please feel free to contact me personally in regard to any future reservation needs. We hope to see you back with again very soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Just completed my fourth Hilton property; two more left on an 11 day business trip. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this note from an Embassy Suites location in Dallas, Texas (will write about this one tomorrow). Hilton is my number one lodging choice, especially Embassy Suites with the 2-room suites, evening manager's special and the great cook-to-order breakfast. After arriving from Huntsville, AL at approximately 1900, 18 May 2012, I was greeted by a less than enthusiastic hostess during check-in. After standing at the counter for about 10 seconds, I got her attention (she was reading papers), gave my name, presented ID and credit card. Shortly thereafter, she handed me my room key and said "enjoy your stay." I got to tell you I sure was especting a welcome to the hotel, is this your first time here, thanks for being a gold member...something. But nothing!!!! I asked for a baggage cart and was told none were available and it was not clear when one would be back. I then asked for directions to the elevator. The bartender during the manager's special was great. The rooms were okay; hotel appears to be a little on the worn side (carpet in room 811 was loose and rippled when you walked on it or rooled your suitecase across it), but was clean. Breakfast was a different story; what you expect to see; was truly the hightlight of the visit there. The staff was lively and made everyone feel welcome while they worked to take care of us. Maybe you should consider making them your check-in staff. I was throughly disappointed in that first impression; but the breakfast staff made it okay the next day. We visited the gift shop...the lady on duty was very nice. Parking was plentiful (exterior and garage). The hotel location is just off I-430 and I-630 with plenty of shopping and eateries nearby. Beware of the highway construction though! I haven't made up my mind if I would stay there again. We did drive across town almost from Highway 72 to get to the property expecting the typical Hilton service!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator and vending machines are much quieter Look for corner or odd shaped ro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
LITCPGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for utiling Trip Advisor to review your recent stay with us in Little Rock, AR. I apologize that the Front Office team was indifferent to you upon arrival as we certainly appreciate your business greatly in particular as a HHonors member. We believe we have a great hotel here and apologize for the less than cordial initial greeting. We will certainly share your comments with our Front Office team to ensure they realize the importance of every single impression that they make with our guests.

Please feel free to utilize me as a point of contact for any future stay here. I will ensure you are well looked after and afforded every service that the Hilton Family of Brands prides itself on.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The omelet chef seemed bored to be there and was dealing with too many people at once. As a business traveler, having to pay for WiFi is a deal breaker going forward. There are too many comparable hotels, like the Crowne Plaza down the road that are cheaper and have free Internet.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking your time out to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity to address your comments to work to improve for all of our guests. Thank you for you compliments in regard to our Front Office team and I apologize if our Breakfast Chef seemed indifferent. It is vital even during busy periods that they interact positively. This will be addressed with the entire Breakfast team.

Again I thank you and welcome you to utilzed me as a point of contact for any future reservation with us.

Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

It was okay. The carpets were very oily so I don't recommend walking on the floor without shoes. It could of been more grand. Though they did have bordgames up at the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for taking your time to comment about us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and will utilize your comments to address your concerns and work to improve for all of our guests.

Please feel free to utilize me as a reference for any future reservations here with us.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

As a Hilton gold member and frequent user of Embassy Suites from coast to coast, this one can use an infusion of customer training. From the check-in experience to the dining experience (if you call it dining), personnel were indifferent, not the typical jovial, helpful sort you find at nearly at Embassy Suites. It seemed almost epidemic.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mr. Sandul,

Thank you for your feedback via TripAdvisor. I apologize that our team did not provide you the exceptional customer service that you should expect from a Hilton Branded property. I am very surprised as this is an area that our team is generally very strong in.

Please feel free to utilize me as a point of contact for any future reservations and I will ensure that you are treated the way I know our team can properly treat our guests.

We have a great hotel here and hope that you will give us another opportunity for success.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

What good is an agreement with an establishment when the hotel manager gets greedy and releases the rooms of two high school teams..while they are playing their quaterfinal games? In the end it matters not what official policy is when whomever represented the establishment , made promises and took the reservations. Add to that the false pretense that he, the manager, was going to work with the teams. In the end the two teams did in fact win their respective games...and took their business down the street. Two school districts, and at least 40 familes with players involved.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Pennstr, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Thank you for taking your time out to review us on TripAdvisor. We apologize greatly for the events that took place over the weekend of your stay. There was a great amount of confusion and miscommunication that all would have been better handled with a true written contract in place. A difficult situation indeed as we understand that the schools were truly in no position to do so.

Again we apologize for the inconveniences endured by yourself, team and attendees. We hope for another opportunity to serve you better in the future.